Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Deus Ex series

Old 08-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Manly One

Sollution: How to play DE:HR with ANY gamepad on the PC.

Firstly, I have absolutely no interest in starting a debate regarding "keyboards and mice versus gamepads" on PC. This is specifically to help those, like myself, who wish to enjoy this game on their PCs using a gamepad - any gamepad. I have my reasons and I don't care one iota what control device anybody uses to play games.

For people using a controller\gamepad that is anything but an actual XBOX controller for windows, that the game fails to "recognise", even though they work fine with other games, do the following:

1. Download this emulator called "x360ce" (version 2.0.2.105) http://x360ce.googlecode.com/files/x...-2.0.2.105.zip

2. Extract x360ce into the same directory where the game's EXE file resides. For instance: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Deus Ex - Human Revolution\

3. Run x360ce. Initially, it will ask you to create two DLL files. Click "yes" to this.

4. With the program running, you need to select, from the "preset" list, a setup that near-enough resembles your type of controller. For instance, I have a wired Logitech dual analog and the preset I use that works is the "Logitech cordless rumblepad 2". Even though it's not exactly the same model, it's close enough and all the buttons and sticks work properly.

5. Click "load" to activate a preset. If you've picked the correct one, the silhouette of the controller will light up and you'll hear a tone. Test all the buttons and analog sticks for functionality. Also, make sure that "normal" Input Hook Mode is selected under the "options" tab. Save your settings and Exit the program.

6. Very important: Rename the file: xinput1_3.dll to xinput9_1_0.dll.

&. Run Deus Ex: HR. Upon startup, you'll hear that tone again which tells you that the controller has been successfully recognised. You can now play the game on PC using any controller.

Last edited by Manly One: 08-29-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
GirlPower23

Alternatively you could get Xpadder instead of going through all this hassle?
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
Manly One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower23 View Post
Alternatively you could get Xpadder instead of going through all this hassle?
You won't get the same results with xpadder.

And it's a little more complicated because the game activates a unique interface for the gamepad after it's been properly detected. Xpadder only "maps" keyboard functions to a controller - it just makes everyting counterintuitive. The game's control scheme is programmed to be one way or the other, so you can't exactly have a hybrid setup created with xpadder. Analog funtionality, for instance, won't be as accurate.

What's really cool is that you can switch seamlessly from the mouse cursor\keyboard to gamepad, and back again, if you so desire. Such as navigating menus and inventory screens and such.

Last edited by Manly One: 08-29-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Manly One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
ryuugah

Thanks for this cool tip! I totally understand how a hybrid controller /keyboard setup like xpadder wouldn't work. I tried xpadder with racing games like NFS and it still feels clunky like you're pressing the arrows instead of the analog sensitivity.

This controller emulator program shouldn't just work with Deus Ex though right?? (Actually tbh, playing Deus Ex with a controller is pretty much impossible) But I would like to try this with other games like Skyrim or Batman. Do I have to rename it differently?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #5
dr.gonzo

Thanks for this, rep!

Quick question, is the MOUSE still active with this?
Could I run this and use the mouse at the same time??

I use lefthand gamepad, righthand mouse (no keys) for all valve games and would love to in this one too.
dr.gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
MrMicrochip

Well you can run mouse too but there is a strange lag when the game is changing control scheme between controller and keyboard. At least i had that problem and couldn't use mouse look and controller at the same time.

I was using x360ce with pedals for forward and backwards and mouse for looking. I had to map pedals to keyboard with glovepie.
MrMicrochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
dr.gonzo

Yeah, it basically shuts one off and turns the other on, you can't do both at the same time.

Shoot, seems like there would be a way to do this.
Might have to try the LWE profiler and see if it will work now.
Why is it so difficult for companies to do what Valve does with control scheme, allow anything mappable as long as its plugged in.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
dr.gonzo

LWE Profiler works in game no problem.
ITs a keyboard to gamepad emulator that comes with logitech pads.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:48 AM   #9
pastrana199

I hear the tone of my gamepad being recognized, but after that all i see is a black screen
pastrana199 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Deus Ex series