Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Linux)

Old 12-17-2004, 11:16 AM   #1
Harshmage

Question OSX Dedicated Server?

I know not everyone is into the Mac OS X thing, but I've been trying to get a version of the dedicated server to run on here, SINCE OSX is a Unix based operating system now.
Anyone know of a way to get it to run? Or a way to rewrite the code so it won't proclaim itself as a binary file?

Old 12-17-2004, 01:05 PM   #2
j0ntar

dual boot
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

MAC OSX is the last O/S anything will ever be ported too.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:17 PM   #3
Harshmage

OSX Server

Quote:
Originally posted by j0ntar
dual boot
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

MAC OSX is the last O/S anything will ever be ported too.
Dude, I can't dual boot. I TRIED that. It killed my boot partition, and I had to run the disk recovery utility to repair it. On top of that, I can't run the two operating systems at the same time on the same machine (Virtual PC just dosen't cut it).
Old 12-17-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
EvilLinux^CHN

Don't run them at the sametime... You run one or the other, its pretty hard to get both to run at the sametime. Also why on earth do you want to use a MAC?!?!?!

Come visit my school: Helix Charter High School 80% of our network is Mac's, and they SUCKz0r!!! No offensive to any Mac users or likers. But man does our Mac network blow lol.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:01 AM   #5
sejechu

Quote:
Originally posted by EvilLinux^CHN
Don't run them at the sametime... You run one or the other, its pretty hard to get both to run at the sametime. Also why on earth do you want to use a MAC?!?!?!

Come visit my school: Helix Charter High School 80% of our network is Mac's, and they SUCKz0r!!! No offensive to any Mac users or likers. But man does our Mac network blow lol.
Because Mac OS X rock. Now, go DIAF you troll. I can understand if you're talking about mac OS 9, but Mac OS X is somwhat 90% identical to linux, same libraries, same daemons etc, etc.. Shut up if you don't know what you're talking about.

To the original poster: There are no binaries for PPC linux, so even if you were to install Linux on PPC, you wouldn't be able to run the server.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:50 AM   #6
j0ntar

lol thanks for pointint out that you paid 3000 dollars to run close to the same o/s as me minus the GUI, where as i paid 0$.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:20 AM   #7
wab G-vld

apperantly,
the 10% that's different is worth the 3000 dollar.

but stop saying ur os is better or whatever,
even windows has its strong points and that's all arguable.

Stop bringing down other people choises and start helping.

The flaming and whining about other ppls choises is somethign you do when ur 12, not when ur a server administrator.

my 2 cents!

ciao !
Old 12-18-2004, 11:03 AM   #8
clumsytoole

OS X is based on FreeBSD right?

It should work, I would be interested in the result.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:20 PM   #9
pixl8ed

Quote:
Originally posted by j0ntar
lol thanks for pointint out that you paid 3000 dollars to run close to the same o/s as me minus the GUI, where as i paid 0$.
not quite. He paid 3k for a badass risc processor computer with a cool flat monitor and a dvd burner. It came with a free o/s. You can't just buy a mac. BTW I like macintoshes. Their hardware is cool, and they don't crash easily. They're not for playing video games, but, you know, it helps me get lots of other [font=wingdings]û[/font][font=wingdings]û[/font][font=wingdings]û[/font][font=wingdings]û[/font] done. I use a mac to administer servers, because of the easy to use, xterm app thing, fully customizable + 19" swivel monitor = neato
Old 12-18-2004, 12:22 PM   #10
pixl8ed

Quote:
Originally posted by clumsytoole
OS X is based on FreeBSD right?

It should work, I would be interested in the result.
no its based on darwin. darwin is a pure unix environment. ( just like bsd, but not linux )
Old 12-18-2004, 12:24 PM   #11
j0ntar

it works on FreeBSD because FreeBSD comes default with a linux like emulation enviroment.

Darwin is based on BSD.

p.s. i know what he paid for please dont attempt to school me. thanx.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:08 PM   #12
wab G-vld

Then stick to the question and dont flame how his idea of a good computer isnt yours.

btw, he needs RISC binairies for the unix platform of the source ds, but do they even excists ?

tried once the linux binairies for the i386 on a sparc .. doesnt work.

Think the result will be the same here.

3 cents now
Old 12-18-2004, 03:38 PM   #13
j0ntar

dewd he is SOL, what he needs to do is learn how to install grub correctly with yellowdog.

and wab G-vld i answered his only altenative in the first response. Hell vmware isnt even an option.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:54 PM   #14
EvilLinux^CHN

Yeah, sorry meant to reply saying OS 9.x for Mac suckz0red. I did figure something out. You could try running the Linux binaries that are for Linux server under the OSX. But you need to point the different programs to its different places and it might work. My friend had it working for about 5 hours nad then has HD on the Mac OSX died . So sorry I'm not too much help. I'll ask one of the OSX tech's on my school, they did it for fun. They should have more info then me. If you can wait a day or two.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:50 PM   #15
Harshmage

Quote:
Originally posted by EvilLinux^CHN
Yeah, sorry meant to reply saying OS 9.x for Mac suckz0red. I did figure something out. You could try running the Linux binaries that are for Linux server under the OSX. But you need to point the different programs to its different places and it might work. My friend had it working for about 5 hours nad then has HD on the Mac OSX died . So sorry I'm not too much help. I'll ask one of the OSX tech's on my school, they did it for fun. They should have more info then me. If you can wait a day or two.
Okay, after reading everyone's reply so far, there are a LOT of machaters out there. Be happy I'm not asking about setting it up for an SGI box from 1997 (O2, running Irix 6.3. Don't. Ask.)
Grub failed the hard drive. Period.
Evil, I can wait for your hookup peoples to get back to you.
And folks, it's not like I bought the mac. They handed it to me, because the area I'm in now has to deal with all the Mac problems around the campus. I just want to make some REAL use out of the thing (and that blasted Irix box. *shudder*).
I'll check back to ya'll later. I'm going back to my EverCrack 2.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Linux)