Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 08-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
kijib

anyone else not buying this because...

Is anyone else gonna wait to buy this till the unavoidable GOTY version with all the DLC that they will try to milk from us?
I don't wanna buy a game that I know is going to have a ton of dlc until the complete version comes out. And a lot of the times buyers of the original get ripped off by having to pay unfair prices when compared to the GOTY version (like borderlands dlc pack being the same price as borderlands GOTY)
Anyone else feel the same way?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Fr0s7y

Depends on how well received the game is. If it comes out and lives up to the hype, I'll probably buy it a week or so after release once a decent amount of reviews are in. If it ends up being nothing all that special, I'll wait for the whole package with the DLC.
Fr0s7y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Lone_Sword

I never understood why people feel the need to get every DLC/complete pack. It'd be better to read/watch reviews on the DLC, then cherry-pick which ones you want.

Besides, with a game so highly modifiable I wouldn't bother waiting just so I could get the DLC.

As an after-thought, why do you think it'd be considered "milking"? Yeah, if they pull another horse-armor fiasco, then it's milking, but if they simply didn't have time to add in some areas/quests/things and would later release them as high-quality, well-developed DLC, I'll happily reward them by showing support when I pay for it.

Last edited by Lone_Sword: 08-30-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Lone_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
varagix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Sword View Post
I never understood why people feel the need to get every DLC/complete pack. It'd be better to read/watch reviews on the DLC, then cherry-pick which ones you want.

Besides, with a game so highly modifiable I wouldn't bother waiting just so I could get the DLC.

As an after-thought, why do you think it'd be considered "milking"? Yeah, if they pull another horse-armor fiasco, then it's milking, but if they simply didn't have time to add in some areas/quests/things and would later release them as high-quality, well-developed DLC, I'll happily reward them by showing support when I pay for it.
This. Get the DLC you want if and when you want it. I want the core game and I'm looking forward to all the mods that will be coming out. The DLC is, to me, something (hopefully) nice from the developers to prolong the life of the already completed game, not something they cut from the game to make more money (or at the very least, it -shouldn't- be. EA, I'm looking at you).

I never saw the GOTY edition as the "complete" game. Its a collection for people who maybe missed out on the game the first time around.
varagix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
in.meinem.turm.

I will definitely wait for a GotY-Edition. 10€ per DLC is just a joke.
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:13 AM   #6
dannythefool

Depends. I'll definitely buy the vanilla game, and if the DLC seems to be worth it I'll buy that too. It's hard to predict what it'll be from past experience with the series. It could be horse armour, or it could be Bloodmoon... if it's horse armour I'll probably wait and then buy the GotY eventually when it's down to EUR 20 or something.
dannythefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:23 AM   #7
Morfolk

Let's face it - I'll buy Skyrim Horse Armor DLC anyway
Morfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 AM   #8
fenrirtokara

Even if it has lots of DLC, most of the will be on sale sooner or later
And as most people said before, the real value of this game is the modding community.
fenrirtokara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #9
Steeli

I'm not buying on release since I got burned by Oblivion. I bought the collectors edition and boy was I gutted. The levelled dungeons etc just made me think "meh I'm gonna uninstall" I've never finished the main quest to this day. When you wander around and get set upon by bandits wearing high level deadric armour.....
Steeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
Micknator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeli View Post
I'm not buying on release since I got burned by Oblivion. I bought the collectors edition and boy was I gutted. The levelled dungeons etc just made me think "meh I'm gonna uninstall" I've never finished the main quest to this day. When you wander around and get set upon by bandits wearing high level deadric armour.....
It's fixed now.

Most people also buy DLC's for the sake of having the game "complete". Like with CoD, they release content packs (though they're mostly just maps) afterwards, but people still buy them because it makes their game more "complete".
Micknator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
Sami69

I hope they release demo so i can see if i can even run the game properly and if it runs good i probably get this instantly when its released. If they won't release demo then i get it when its at cheapest so maybe goty for me.
Sami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
berggren75

[QUOTE=kijib;24750618
Anyone else feel the same way?[/QUOTE]

No. I'll be buying and playing myself into the ground. As usual with games from this series.

You're just being cheap and weird, seeing as the game itself has well over 200+ hours of gaming, without any DLC.
berggren75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
alehm

Not me.

Granted for nearly any other game I wait for the GOTY to go on sale just to get all the DLC at once at a good price. But every now and then a game comes along that I will not wait to play and Skyrim is one of them.

Last edited by alehm: 08-31-2011 at 10:20 AM.
alehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
in.meinem.turm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami69 View Post
I hope they release demo.
They never released any kind of demo for their open world RPGs.
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
MrShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by berggren75 View Post
No. I'll be buying and playing myself into the ground. As usual with games from this series.

You're just being cheap and weird, seeing as the game itself has well over 200+ hours of gaming, without any DLC.
OP really does have a point, A while ago I was interested in getting DLC for Fallout 3, which I got on launch. I found out I could get the Fallout 3 GOTY edition with all of the DLC for $20-50 depending on sales, while getting the DLC off steam Games for ing Windows Live separately where I already had the game would cost $50 total. Paying for the game twice over for about 12 hours of extra content? Sure, the game's just fine without it, but I can't help but feel like I'm missing out or getting the short end of the stick because I can't justify paying $10 a pop for a 2-3 hour sidequest

If you can stand the long wait, the GOTY edition is definitely the better end of the deal.

Myself, I'll just stick with vanilla skyrim because the elder scrolls tend to have awkward handling of expansions/dlc:

"I have just escaped from the imperial prison!"
"I've heard a rumor that the defenders of Battlehorn Castle are besieged by marauders and are appealing for aid."
"Rumors have been circulating of a hidden underground cavern beneath Castle Anvil."
"According to a mysterious message that's been delivered to me, I've inherited an underground lair called Deepscorn Hollow from a long-lost relative."
"According to a deed that's been delivered to me, I've inherited a property called Frostcrag Spire from a long-lost relative."
"I have heard a rumor that a strange doorway has appeared on a small island in the Niben Bay. I should investigate."

Ooh, I'm pretty popular for a nameless unknown who just broke out of prison

Not to mention Morrowind GOTY's jarring attacks from the Tribunal expansion assassins early in the game.
MrShooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V