Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Numen: Contest of Heroes

Old 09-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Sometime

My problem with Numen

I thoroughly enjoyed Titan Quest and was happy to find a game that seemed very similar to it, i.e. Numen.I also enjoyed Loki and again, I felt Numen was very much like it.
So I seriously gave it a good go. But I must say I am a bit disappointed because to do quests you kind of have to run around like a chicken and hope for the best, i.e. by chance get your quest done.
There simply is not enough guidance or description on quest object or what direction even you will find your quest object. Example: Theodos riddle. Then to kill the giant scorpion for the poison remedy for the brother. Heck, I went through the cave, I raced around the whole island over and over, no big scorpion with the poison remedy/ingredient. Killing wolves and spiders and easy scorpions over and over gets kind of boring.

I think maybe there is very little content so they force you to chase around endlessly doing basically hack and slash of easy objects to pass the time.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
Hegetin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometime View Post
I think maybe there is very little content so they force you to chase around endlessly doing basically hack and slash of easy objects to pass the time.
You are kinda right about this, there isn't much content afterall. If you know the quests already, you can complete the game in 10 hours. This is a good game, but a bit small for rpg.

E: I'm a big fan of TQ aswell.
Hegetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #3
kovi_cz

CINEMAX
You are right, there is not the usual amount of guidance in Numen that can be found in most of todays games, but it was an intention. Maybe because the game world is smaller than in other RPGs, but to make it bigger simply wasn't in the powers of this small dev team. And we also wanted to make things a bit different than to show an arrow on a compass or a destination on a minimap. But even if you won't grasp what to do and where to go from the quest description, you should realize that it was giving you a hint after all once you find the solution by running around.
kovi_cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Barsby

Fair enough, not being hand-held right to the objective (Fable 3 anyone, wow, that utterly put me off breadcrumb trails...) but the quest descriptions aren't the best. If you try a second play-through, the quest text is fine. It tells you everything you need but when you are clueless about the world... not so great.
As for that particular quest, it was the point at which I went looking for a walkthrough. I think it would have been different if it had been daytime when I got the quest. I could have gone and talked to the people in the town. But for me, having to rest at a fire before picking up the next leg, that made it hard. I ran about everywhere that night looking for a clue.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
bushwhacker2k

I agree, I totally support the idea of making things less streamlined so the player has to actually think about what s/he's doing, but when the rest of the game is using such a basic formulaic system pretty much ripped from MMOs the two clash.
bushwhacker2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Numen: Contest of Heroes