Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 09-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Zaxxon

Birthday - Save Longterm

My last thread was locked, even though

A) it wasn't in the "Already Requested" Sticky and B) http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=480248 says:
"We don't care if they are dumb, we don't care if they have been posted before, we don't care if you don't like it.

If you can't be constructive with your criticism - then don't post."

The point is that I'd like the selection saved. I wouldn't even mind if it were per session.

The ESRB's EWC requirement is that:
A)Display manual Age-Gate for M/AO titles.
B) Save the underage selection to deny access (so they can't just put that they are older).

The requirements do NOT disallow saving an overage selection per session.

I would like to suggest that we do. So I guess it could at least be Short-Term (though most of us leave Steam open Long-term).

Last edited by Zaxxon: 09-04-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
TheDaFox

This is requested basically daily.
TheDaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Zaxxon

So what? It is probably requested so much because people want it. At least that's what logic would lead me to believe.
Zaxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
max2

It already is possible and has been for a long time get Greasemonkey then the userscript for it.
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
Matt

Volunteer Moderator - I was on TV!
You and 100 other threads want DOB saved. They aren't going to do this. Word is they have to ask each time, according to the lawyers.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
JupiterSWarrior

I agree that the Age-Gate is annoying, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
The ESRB's EWC requirement is that:
A)Display manual Age-Gate for M/AO titles.
B) Save the underage selection to deny access (so they can't just put that they are older).

The requirements do NOT disallow saving an overage selection per session.
Look at point A. This means that a user must enter his/her date of birth to proceed. This means that they (Valve) can't simply save the date of birth outside of cookies. Once the cookies expire, a user must enter his/her date of birth at the Age-Gate in order to proceed.

This is why Valve won't change anything.
JupiterSWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Zaxxon

Wait, wait lawyers? What does this have to do with lawyers? Do you people think this is some sort of US Codified Law? Unless there some state statutes or something, the EWC is just a consortium and Steam/Valve, along with everyone else in the industry adheres to the same standards as everyone else in the EWC.

The result of non-compliance? You aren't on the EWC anymore. BUT, if Steam/Valve are on the EWC, then why not get clarification. They are after all part of the governing body that decides.

If Valve is rolling over just because they don't care, then that's even more reason why people should complain. If they do care but they aren't keeping us informed, then they deserve the "hundreds" of posts complaining.

Either way, this is a valid complaint and is in no way about asking someone to break any laws (I'm no lawyer, so I'm not aware of all state laws).
Old 09-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Perfectionist

What i said in another thread was couldn't Valve update the rules to make us responsible of our client. Surely then we are the only one liable when it said so when accepting to use steam. Im not a solicitor either.
Perfectionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
pixelante15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
Wait, wait lawyers? What does this have to do with lawyers? Do you people think this is some sort of US Codified Law? Unless there some state statutes or something, the EWC is just a consortium and Steam/Valve, along with everyone else in the industry adheres to the same standards as everyone else in the EWC.

The result of non-compliance? You aren't on the EWC anymore. BUT, if Steam/Valve are on the EWC, then why not get clarification. They are after all part of the governing body that decides.

If Valve is rolling over just because they don't care, then that's even more reason why people should complain. If they do care but they aren't keeping us informed, then they deserve the "hundreds" of posts complaining.

Either way, this is a valid complaint and is in no way about asking someone to break any laws (I'm no lawyer, so I'm not aware of all state laws).
There is no law regarding sale of M games to minors, no.

The reason everyone mentioned lawyers is because Valve blamed it on them.
I would assume their legal team does more than just ensure compliance with federal/state laws and drawing up licensing contracts. They probably help interpret and maintain compliance with organizations like the ESRB.

This is pure conjecture of course, but it makes sense to me.
pixelante15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
Zaxxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You and 100 other threads want DOB saved. They aren't going to do this. Word is they have to ask each time, according to the lawyers.
I know I'm bumping an old thread, however I am glad that Steam now seems to save my January 1st, 1900 birthday! This saves me a lot of trouble now.

Thank you Valve and the Steam Team!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas