Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Orchestra series > Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Old 09-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
PanzerLang

Hit-detection needs serious work.

I've given this a good number of hours on various servers to be sure it's a genuine issue, and it is. I'm not counting anything over 25m, and most are a lot less. A good 50% of the time when I get the drop on somebody, often in their back, a good 1/4-clip burst does nothing but alert them I'm there and they turn around and drop me. This is entirely on sub-100 ping servers with no lag.

Yes, it's a beta, so I'm expecting to see this vastly reduced in the final game. Just putting it out here so it gets noticed, though I'm sure the issue has already been loudly raised elsewhere.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
AeneasXI

you have to lead your shots. They do not hit immediately
This might can seem like the hit detection is off, but actually bullets need time to travel
If you wanna hit a running target lead your shot
The hit detection is perfectly fine for me...
Also weapons in ww2 werent THAT accurate so you can assume that when you shoot a smg it might not hit exactly where you wanted it to.
AeneasXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
vanelle

Lead the shots then you'll get some well done kills.
Always worked for me, since RO ostfront.

and aim at the torso a good shot in it and the opponent will fall quickly or die slowly or bleed to death.
vanelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
PanzerLang

Er...yeah, when the target is crouched at a window and I unload into his back from a few meters with iron-sights up. An extreme example but it's happened a number of times.
PanzerLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
Haarvieh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerLang View Post
Er...yeah, when the target is crouched at a window and I unload into his back from a few meters with iron-sights up. An extreme example but it's happened a number of times.
Yes there is some issue in close range with the hit reg. Your victim can stand still and you dont hit with iron sights. Its very strange.
Haarvieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
stahlhelmii

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerLang View Post
Same here. You aim for the torso, and have no need to lead a stationary target, nor one that's moving directly at or away from you at a distance under 20m!
stahlhelmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
vahnn

I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that your bullets' trajectories are aligned with the actual model of the gun. If you're aimed down iron sights and moving, you may notice the gun wobbling sideways and up/down a little. It makes the front and rear sights go out of alignment briefly.

If you fire during this time, the bullets will go off center, not directly at your front sight. It IS possible to counter this by adjusting your aim slightly.

I especially notice this with rifles, but I've noticed it with SMGs as well. It has been the death of me several times.

All told, I LOVE the realistic ballistics and weapon modeling in this game. I basically view it as the best thing to happen to shooting mechanics in an FPS since... Well, since RO:Ostfront!
vahnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Rhoto

I don't think i've had any problems with hit-detection what-so-ever. I either shoot them, or miss. Not saying that this is an illegitimate issue, just saying on my end I haven't had any issues.
Rhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
serneral

Banned
Did ANYONE read the thread?

AT OVER 25M HE HAS NO ISSUE, THIS IS NOT A LEADING ISSUE. I assure you I am a better RO player than 95% of this thread. I cannot kill people that are directly infront of me with an MP40 or PPSH. Friend and I tested it out several times. In more than half of the cases we just shot right through each other.
serneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #10
stahlhelmii

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by vahnn View Post
I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that your bullets' trajectories are aligned with the actual model of the gun. If you're aimed down iron sights and moving, you may notice the gun wobbling sideways and up/down a little. It makes the front and rear sights go out of alignment briefly.

If you fire during this time, the bullets will go off center, not directly at your front sight. It IS possible to counter this by adjusting your aim slightly.

I especially notice this with rifles, but I've noticed it with SMGs as well. It has been the death of me several times.

All told, I LOVE the realistic ballistics and weapon modeling in this game. I basically view it as the best thing to happen to shooting mechanics in an FPS since... Well, since RO:Ostfront!
Dude, you can STAND 5m away from a guy who's running at you, AIM your weapon at his chest and fireway ... it doesn't register. Leading, the Earth's curvature, and the fall of Skylab have nothing to do with it!!!
stahlhelmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
zzcitizen_snips

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeneasXI View Post
you have to lead your shots. They do not hit immediately
This might can seem like the hit detection is off, but actually bullets need time to travel
If you wanna hit a running target lead your shot
The hit detection is perfectly fine for me...
Also weapons in ww2 werent THAT accurate so you can assume that when you shoot a smg it might not hit exactly where you wanted it to.

He is shooting the enemies backs and they are turning around to shoot him. This has happened to me a few times where I'm behind someone and purposly aim for the head/neck area about 10-30 m behind them and they whip around and kill me like they don't suffer from suppression and are invincible. There is a thead about how changing the zoom will throw off your accuracy at close range on the TWI forums.

I recommend everyone to change the zoom settings back to default. They claimed it's fixed, but no no no it's sooooo not.
zzcitizen_snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
[FBX]

does this have lag compensation or is it still completely server-side like RO1 was? I played on a low ping server and didn't notice any problems that I couldn't attribute to me simply missing. At close range I don't aim down the sites... hip-shoot pro here
[FBX] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
Cloud8521

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FBX] View Post
does this have lag compensation or is it still completely server-side like RO1 was? I played on a low ping server and didn't notice any problems that I couldn't attribute to me simply missing. At close range I don't aim down the sites... hip-shoot pro here
there is none
Cloud8521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
Oz_JuicE

I walked into a room with a PPSH and unloaded it into a German soldier from 6 feet away and didn't hit him once. Why Oh Why would i really need to use sights from six feet away? It's ridiculous!!!!
Oz_JuicE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
inkubus

I only had a problem with this when playing on a laggy server. Every other time it's been fine..
inkubus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Orchestra series > Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad