Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island

Old 09-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Supernautilus

Keyboard not working. :(

Ok so this is a weird one. I can get in game but my keyboard doesn't seem to work. When the game starts I can move the camera around with the mouse and swing my fists, but my keyboard is entirely unresponsive.

I tried restarting and hooking up my 360 controller to see if that would work. If I switch the settings to 360 controls I can get in game and move around fine, but as soon as I try to switch it back to KB&M I can't move around or anything. I can't even press Escape to access the menu.

Been gaming for nearly 30 years and I have 65 games installed on Steam, this is a new one on me. :/ Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
Omnicast

I have the same ****ing problem.

Keyboard isn't detected or some sh*t. I can't bind keys and I can't move in the game.

Stacked with all the other bugs this is total bullsh*t.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Supernautilus

I'm starting to suspect there is something wrong with my install. I'm still trying to find the config files but they are no where to be found. The directory where everyone keeps saying they are located does not exist on my computer. If I could find the config files I could try and see if there are any controls settings, I think there may be some sort of conflict or something, but my hands are tied while these config files remain hidden.

I'm going to keep looking but if I can't find these elusive config files, I guess I'm just going to have to try a reinstall.

Last edited by Supernautilus: 09-05-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Supernautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
Omnicast

What OS are you using?

On windows 7 the config files are in the steam folder.

Steam\steamapps\common\dead island\DI\Out\Settings

Make and open a text file and drag the stupid src files into the open text file. There are only 2 src file in that folder: Audio and Video.

I don't know why my keyboard isn't being detected in this damn game. Never happened to me before.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
Supernautilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnicast View Post

Steam\steamapps\common\dead island\DI\Out\Settings
I have seen multiple posts already about the config files and this is NOT where others are saying the files are. I tried modifying the files there and nothing happen so I don't even know if those are the right ones.

People here keep saying the config files are in Documents\DeadIsland\out\Settings, but this directory does not exist on my computer, that's why I'm thinking there is something wrong with our installs.

I'll just have to keep looking until I find the answer, or try and email deep silver about getting support.

Last edited by Supernautilus: 09-06-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
Supernautilus

Still not working. I have no choice now, I'm going to try and delete local files, re-download and reinstall the game.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
Omnicast

Mmm well I don't know how wrong steam can be with downloading/installing/unlocking a game.

Anyways those two config files doesn't do jack for my problem.

Gonna try a restart after I just installed new graphic drivers.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #8
Supernautilus

Well, a re-install later and I still have the same problem.

After reading these forums it seems like there is some problems with the game where the xbox and pc software is mixed up somehow. I'm starting to think that this is causing some conflict between the 360 and PC control settings that are preventing my keyboard from working. Until then, I guess I can try to play with my 360 controller or just wait and hope that a patch fixes this. :/
Old 09-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
AwayToHit

I had that problem but for some reason opening and closing the steam overlay fixed the problem for me. And doing the same thing again would make the problem reappear. And doing it yet again fixed it...wth?
AwayToHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #10
ValentineRain

Hey, I had EXACTLY the same problem! Maybe I can help you fix it.

What antivirus software are you using? If you're running Avast, make sure you don't click through the "run in sandbox mode" prompt. For some reason it wouldn't detect my keyboard this way, but when I selected "Run Normally" it was fine.

Then again, it's possible that just relaunching the game three or four times helped, too, but that's literally the only thing I did differently to get it to work.

Hope this helps somehow!
ValentineRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #11
m_bisson

Banned
This happened to me. I got up to chapter 2 and then BAM the keyboard dies... I couldn't move or anything. I did throw my weapons away and swing at the air with my fists
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:22 AM   #12
Vernoz

Same problem here. Windows 7 x64 with a Logitech G15. My 360 pad wasn't even turned on when I launched the game either. Just sits there on "push a key to continue". These guys obviously didn't even load up their own game prior to distribution, really disappointing.
Vernoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
KSib

Try pressing your tilde key then pressing whatever you need.

Tilde: ~ (Look next to your "1" key)
KSib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #14
Supernautilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineRain View Post
Hey, I had EXACTLY the same problem! Maybe I can help you fix it.

What antivirus software are you using? If you're running Avast, make sure you don't click through the "run in sandbox mode" prompt. For some reason it wouldn't detect my keyboard this way, but when I selected "Run Normally" it was fine.

Then again, it's possible that just relaunching the game three or four times helped, too, but that's literally the only thing I did differently to get it to work.

Hope this helps somehow!
OMG THANK YOU!!!

This is exactly what my problem was. I actually never saw any prompt or anything for it. But I went into the Avast control panel and disabled the auto sandbox feature, and now everything is working perfectly.

I can even find the dead island\out\settings folder now too. The Avast sandbox must have been preventing the game from creating the necessary folders and files for the game settings.

So again, thank you so much. I really was beginning to despair that I would never get to play this game, but now I'm all set. Cheers!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #15
Harry101

I played the game fine for several hours and them bam, my keyboard stopped working as well. Weird. I assumed the batteries were dead so I swapped them over; came back and it still didn't work. Reloaded the game and it worked again. Odd!
Harry101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island