Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Baconing, The

Old 09-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
SpikeBolt

Frequent Crashes are ruining my game experience.

The 3rd title of DeathSpank was quite disappointing for me. I can't play properly.

Every now and then the game crashes. It's does not provide an error or anything it's just "DeathSpank: The Thongs of Virtue have stopped working" error by windows. And yes, it does say Thongs of Virtue instead of The Baconing for some reason.

I just don't feel like playing the game after I successfully defeat the 3rd thong boss and the game crashed.

I feel like this happens shortly after I alt tab. I tried windowed mode which seems to have decreased the ammount of crashes but it hasn't stopped at all. The last time I didn't even alt+tabbed or anything.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
MikeInglehart

You may want to try these steps to remove any issues

- reboot their PC if they haven't in a while
- try closing out other apps when running the game
- exit out of Steam completely and start it up again
- re-download the game again
- update videocard drivers
- update Direct X
- update any system OS
- if it's Steam be sure to have any updates to Steam installed as they sometimes have updates which can affect the games performance (ie. crashing etc...)
Old 09-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
SpikeBolt

I'm going to re-install the game since it's the only thing I have not done yet. Will let you know the result.
SpikeBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
SpikeBolt

It's still the same. Sometimes after I alt-tab the game crashes. Not sure why :|
SpikeBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
pecet1

It worked fine for me, but when I've got to that island area with pirate ship and all, it now crash after 5-10 minutes of playing, which is unbearable.
pecet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
dragoncmd

Waste of money

Managed to get the game working for about five minutes after fighting with installation issues. After realizing how horrid the control system is on the PC (played the previous two on ps3) I plugged in my controller only to find that it only works on menu screens. Throughout all of this the game has crashed at least 10 to 15 times, and I have done multiple re-installs and reboots. I am thoroughly unimpressed with this game and would expect a refund if it weren't a downloadable title. To anyone interested in this, don't get it on pc.
dragoncmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
flava_clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoncmd View Post
Managed to get the game working for about five minutes after fighting with installation issues.
i think this is where your problem starts!

when you start the game for the first time, steam should try to install directx and visual c++ 2005 sp1.
both is not really game related and if you are unable to get these two things installed then you shouldn't blame the game, blame microsoft and/or your computer setup (and/or your computer knowledge).

i would recommend that you try to run the DXSETUP.exe and the vcredist_x86.exe as admin. (located either in [path to steam]\Steam\steamapps\common\thebaconing or [path to steam]\Steam\steamapps\common\thebaconing\DirectX)
it could be useful to run "Windows Update" after the installation of DX and VC.

furthermore you should add the "thebaconing" folder to the exception list of your antivirus program.
when this is done, verify the integrity of the game cache.

aaaand if i recall right then the controller have to be plugged in before you start the game if you want to use the controller to play the game. (btw. i have no issues playing the game with keyboard and mouse, actualy it's almost mouse only)

if that's all too much for you, then you should stick to your console... just saying...
flava_clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
dragoncmd

Now that I've cooled down a little from my initial run in with the game, I'll respond. I appreciate the attempt to help even if comments about my computer knowledge are a little unwarranted. Directx installs correctly, but windows gives an error when attempting to install visual c++ 2005. The error says, "Another program is being installed, please wait until the installation is complete and then try installing the software again." The thing is there are no other installations running, I have tried this from a reboot. (and yes this is being run as admin). I have to assume that the problem is with a corrupted install or something similar, but I will have to wait until I get a new computer to mess with this game again.

As for the controller, of course it is plugged in before the start of the game, I've just given up on 90% of games actually working with the controller I happen to have on hand at the time.

And sticking to my console, I was getting it on steam to try to save money because of the sale, I regret that due to my experience with the controls for the short time that I did play the game, and the fact that had I read this forum before hand I probably would never have bought it.
dragoncmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:36 AM   #9
flava_clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoncmd View Post
Directx installs correctly, but windows gives an error when attempting to install visual c++ 2005. The error says, "Another program is being installed, please wait until the installation is complete and then try installing the software again." The thing is there are no other installations running, I have tried this from a reboot. (and yes this is being run as admin). I have to assume that the problem is with a corrupted install or something similar, but I will have to wait until I get a new computer to mess with this game again.
well, i did not want to offend you. sorry if it came across that way.

to your problem, could this be the case:
Quote:
IMPORTANT: If you have installed previous pre-release versions of Visual C++ 2005 or Visual Studio 2005, such as Beta 1, Beta 2 or Community Technical Preview (CTP) builds, then you must uninstall these versions via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel before installing the final released version.
if you don't see any entry in the control panel, try Revo Uninstaller Portable. (i have 4 vc2005 entries, seems i have the x86 AND the x64 versions)
SIW (System Information for Windows) Portable shows even 5 entries (with the info if x86 or x64)

also it might help to try this: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=18471 (should be vcredist_x64.exe)

well thinking about it, what windows version are you using? maybe your Windows Installer version is too old (should only be the case with win xp, i think)
flava_clown is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Baconing, The