Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island

Old 09-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
Right2Live

Banned
Exclamation Let me explain what happened in layman's terms and what's with the 76mB patch...

So, someone at Techland accidentally (Or intentionally) released a build of the game on Steam, that seems to be the wrong one.

Now, some have called it a dev build, or an xbox 360 dev build.

Well... That is partly true.

The version that was released on Steam, was the build sent to Microsoft to get approved for the Xbox 360.

As some people have already had a suspicion about from some of the game files, saying "Xbox Live Submission Project Version".

Which is exactly what it is.

Now, most people would realize that a build made for the Xbox 360 wouldn't not run on a PC.

And it won't. It's not possible. However, (and this is where I kill the dream of the PC version being developed seperately), all platforms run partially the same code.

They're not developed 'seperately' as Techland has claimed. What they mean is, that it's not a direct console port. A console port is when a game has been made strictly for a console, then later rewritten to run on a PC.

This is not the case with Dead Island (And all other non-ports).

It's not seperate projects for each platform. It's all the same code, with some alterations.

When developing a game, programmers write code (In this case C++). This is "converted" (compiled) into machine code, which is then executed by the CPU.

Now, some things like graphics rendering has to be done differently on each platform. This doesn't require a "seperate game". A programmer can designate to the compiler (Actually, the pre-compiler), what should be compiled in specific instances for Xbox, PC, etc.

At some time during development, they've been required to send a submission of the game to Microsoft, for approval for the Xbox 360.

For this, they've copied all the code, and made a seperate project, to make it easy.

This still works like above. When compiling (on PC, making an the .exe), they tell the compiler to built against the Xbox 360, and by so, the compiler will compile all the code that's been "designated" to be compiled for the Xbox 360.

It's then sent to Microsoft for validation.

Now, for the PC release, someone at Techland, has accidentally (or intentionally) opened up the xbox 360 submission project, informed the compiler to build all the code that's made for the PC, and then released that on Steam.

Which is why the Xbox 360 Submission project works on the PC... Because it was built for the PC.

Now... The patch...

What did it do? Did it fix all the issues? Did it remove all the developer keys?

No... The apostrophe key is still enabled, and every other glitch and bug is still present.

Here's what the patch is all about: The patch was not meant to fix a damn thing.

The patch was meant to get rid of all the debug information, and other stuff that could potentionally aid crackers or cheat creators, etc.

It's the same build, and the removed noclip and 3rd person toggle keys, are just a cover-up, to make it look like a patch meant to fix issues.

What's happening now, is that Techland is working on finding (lol?) and rebuilding the real project against the PC, and not the submission project for the Xbox 360.

Hope that cleared things up.
Btw, this is where the compiler outputted the build:
Quote:
C:\AUTOBUILD_PERFORCE\di\releases\di_submission_xb ox\bin\obj\x86\vs2008\ReleaseWithDebugInfo

It's surprising that they were able to oversee that they where building their di_submission_xbox project.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
TheRybka

Banned
Interesting read.
Thank you; I was wondering what exactly was going on.
TheRybka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Kyorisu

Pointless speculation I love it. People need to be patient.
Kyorisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Deamos

So in other words..

TL;DR: *waves hand* This is not the patch you are looking for?
Deamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
prototype2001

Quote:
potentionally aid crackers
They are 20 steps behind that process of prevention. I hear the word on the street is that the games so unstable that the crackers & crackees' don't want anything to do w. it. I also heard its more stable than the "official release"
prototype2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
ddevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyorisu View Post
Pointless speculation I love it. People need to be patient.
^This.

Some people trying to make sense of everything as if they were the original developers.
ddevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
pwn247

The issue was that Techland was pressed for time by the publisher, Deep Silver, who announced a release date before Techland signed off.

So Techland, still possibly working on the final PC version, had to give the publisher something to release, so we get a half-baked product. It's why the EU gets the game on the 9th, because Techland needs those extra few days to sort out the bugs.

I do believe that the US release is more of a large-scale beta test.

I'll give it a week. I have patience. I will give them a chance.
pwn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
bilago

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwn247 View Post
The issue was that Techland was pressed for time by the publisher, Deep Silver, who announced a release date before Techland signed off.

So Techland, still possibly working on the final PC version, had to give the publisher something to release, so we get a half-baked product. It's why the EU gets the game on the 9th, because Techland needs those extra few days to sort out the bugs.

I do believe that the US release is more of a large-scale beta test.

I'll give it a week. I have patience. I will give them a chance.
We don't really have any other choice than to give them a chance since they already have our money. If this is the new way games are going to be released then I'm done pre-ordering games.
bilago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
ErichK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamos View Post
So in other words..

TL;DR: *waves hand* This is not the patch you are looking for?
For people who think "TL;DR," this sums it up:

It's the wrong version. The proper one is coming soon. Shut up and wait.
ErichK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
scubs

tl;dr.. another thread about the same thing.
scubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
mafia man

oh good so the patch doesnt matter then.

I will just keep playing without downloading it.
mafia man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
Deamos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichK View Post
For people who think "TL;DR," this sums it up:

It's the wrong version. The proper one is coming soon. Shut up and wait.
Wow.. I was just poking fun of the post. Someone has a hurt butt.
Deamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
sverr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilago View Post
We don't really have any other choice than to give them a chance since they already have our money. If this is the new way games are going to be released then I'm done pre-ordering games.
Hear Hear. I love giving devs my support, but with all the busts lately getting frustrated. This entire industry needs a game release that goes flawlessly for once.

Here's hoping Skyrim and(or) Rage can restore my faith.
sverr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
puzl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilago View Post
Spot on.

We're effectively spending money just to be glorified games testers. It's crazy that the people who support the developers/publishers the most by pre-ordering games actually end up getting screwed over more than anyone. What ever happened to releasing a game when it's actually finished? Radical concept I know!

Disgusting behaviour by both the devs and the publisher.
puzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #15
bilago

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverr View Post
Hear Hear. I love giving devs my support, but with all the busts lately getting frustrated. This entire industry needs a game release that goes flawlessly for once.

Here's hoping Skyrim and(or) Rage can restore my faith.
I'm going to assume BF3 will be a good launch. The Alpha ran for me better than Black Ops runs a year after release.
bilago is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island