Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 09-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
BigTex

Question Can't run from Windows 7 standard user account

I recently purchased RailWorks 2 through steam and am having trouble running it on a standard user account on Windows 7. When I try to play it on the standard user account, Windows pops up a user account control prompt for me to enter my administrative password. After entering it, a small box pops up telling me to sign into steam however I am already signed in. I tried locating the .exe file and setting it to run as an administrator, but that didn’t help any. Please help because I bought this game for my son to play on his standard user account on the computer, but we can not get it to play on his user account and can not get it to stop prompting for the administrator password.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
buerohengst001

prompt for admin password? is it win7 home?
buerohengst001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
BigTex

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit. Trying to run it on my son's standard user account on the pc without having to enter my admin account password.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
dwb

Try running steam as admin too
dwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
lonewolfdon

Yep, as suggested, try also setting the Steam-client to run with Admin-level privileges along with the RailWorks executables, RailWorks.exe, StringExtractor.exe and RailWorksProc2.exe. Plus make sure they have permissions with any firewall and anti-virus you might have running too.
lonewolfdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
BigTex

tried that already...didn't help.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
buerohengst001

change your account at least to the group "administrators", it might be really in "user" group. running steam with admin rights is not that important.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
lonewolfdon

A couple of support faqs that might relate to your problem:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...1033-TOHL-8290

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...2008-ULBN-0189
lonewolfdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
buerohengst001

2nd link is what i meant. sry for bad english
Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
majormagna

I just turn UAC off. It's a waste of time that was made to stop morons deleting their Win32 or "Drive: C" folder.

We didn't have it before Vista, we don't need it now.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Ilsimen

Since the OP has stated that he wants his "son" to be able to play it on "the son's" user account, I'm not sure turning off the UAC would be in his best interest. Unless he wants his "son" to be able to accidently delete his Win32 or "Drive:C" folder.
Ilsimen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #12
thisurlnotfound

I seem to remember a while back there were a bunch of complaints about running Railworks in non-admin accounts and the general consensus was that you needed to be logged into Windows with an admin account in order to run Railworks. (This is the case with a lot of other games as well.)

If I remember correctly, these posts were right when RW2 first came out and it got pretty heated with some locked threads.
thisurlnotfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
jfs

I'm really hoping RW3 will work without running as an admin. The only reason I can think of why it would want to be admin, is for the installation of new content through the launcher program, but that could be handled in so many other ways.

Also, it's false that "lots of other games" need to have admin privileges to work. Almost none do, those that do are mainly from 10 years ago, and it only has to do with file system permissions then. (Install them somewhere else, or change permissions on the install folder, and they would run just fine without admin.)
Old 09-15-2011, 06:26 AM   #14
thisurlnotfound

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
Also, it's false that "lots of other games" need to have admin privileges to work. Almost none do, those that do are mainly from 10 years ago, and it only has to do with file system permissions then. (Install them somewhere else, or change permissions on the install folder, and they would run just fine without admin.)
Do not mistake me saying that lots of other games need admin privileges, as saying most games require it, as you seem to be thinking. I did not say most games.

"Lots of other games" just means this is not a Railworks only issue and there are other games that need admin or some sort of elevated roles. Just do a Google search for 'games administrator privileges' and you will see that this is not a Railworks only problem and that there a lot of games that have the same issue.

Last edited by thisurlnotfound: 09-15-2011 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Spelling is hard
thisurlnotfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #15
arizonachris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
Also, it's false that "lots of other games" need to have admin privileges to work. Almost none do, those that do are mainly from 10 years ago
Not true. I have several new games that Win 7 will not run without Admin priviledges. I love Win 7 but it has been a real challenge at times (I was in on the Beta testing of 7, yeah, that was fun, NOT)
arizonachris is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks