Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island

Old 09-07-2011, 01:11 AM   #1
Strike_You

KB & M vs. Controller

I was wondering for those who have used both and seeing as though it's more of an action based then a shooter.. is it better with an xbox 360 controller or keyboard and mouse?

Thanks

Chris
Old 09-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #2
Phatmillips

I prefer KB&M but I havent tried the 360 controller - I assume it would operate like any other FPS on Xbox 360. Once you go KB&M you dont go back for FPS. It's a lot easier to react and swing around on pc so use the keyboard and mouse
Phatmillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #3
rh224

Definitely better with the Xbox 360 controller. This is more like Condemned than your average twitch shooter.

There are two basic types of FPS: twitch shooters which require precision aiming and for which KB&M is definitely better, and THIS kind which is more action-adventure than twitch.

You really don't need lightning-fast reflexes or perfect aim in this same, so you can choose whichever control scheme you find more comfortable. I definitely find the controller better for this kind of game, especially if you're going to melee for most of the game (I am playing as Xian).
rh224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #4
Freyar

I found myself preferring the keyboard and mouse, though the 360 gives an additional option for combat that I'll explore on a later playthrough.
Freyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
Strike_You

great input, thanks to the both of you! I think I am going to go 360 controller as most of the game (as far as I know) is melee not a run and gun. I think Melee might be more fun with a controller!

Do you have to set up a custom control scheme or does it know where and what keys to map?

Thanks!
Strike_You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
Strike_You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyar View Post
I found myself preferring the keyboard and mouse, though the 360 gives an additional option for combat that I'll explore on a later playthrough.
What options?

On a side note are you not a Mod anymore????
Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #7
rh224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike_You View Post
great input, thanks to the both of you! I think I am going to go 360 controller as most of the game (as far as I know) is melee not a run and gun. I think Melee might be more fun with a controller!

Do you have to set up a custom control scheme or does it know where and what keys to map?

Thanks!
The Xbox 360 controller has native support in the game. The default mappings are fine. The only thing I don't personally like is that flashlight is D-Pad down and going into your inventory is D-Pad up. I don't know why but that seems counter-intuitive to me. Or I'm extremely idiosyncratic. Probably the latter.

The other benefit of the Xbox 360 controller is vibration support. The tactile feedback in this game is kind of nifty.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
Freyar

Quote:
What options?

On a side note are you not a Mod anymore????
Using the 360 controller you have the option to use "analog" input for combat. (Hold Left Trigger, move Right Stick the way you want your attacks to go.. IE: Up, then down for a downward slash or whatever..)

No, I'm not a mod. Just stepped down was all.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #9
Strike_You

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh224 View Post
The Xbox 360 controller has native support in the game. The default mappings are fine. The only thing I don't personally like is that flashlight is D-Pad down and going into your inventory is D-Pad up. I don't know why but that seems counter-intuitive to me. Or I'm extremely idiosyncratic. Probably the latter.

The other benefit of the Xbox 360 controller is vibration support. The tactile feedback in this game is kind of nifty.
Is this tactile feedback for just a standard wired 360 Microsoft brand controller, or is it for the wireless one?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:37 AM   #10
rh224

Quote:
Using the 360 controller you have the option to use "analog" input for combat. (Hold Left Trigger, move Right Stick the way you want your attacks to go.. IE: Up, then down for a downward slash or whatever..)

Oh yes I've been meaning to try out the analog option.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:37 AM   #11
Strike_You

Quote:

Ahh that sounds kinda cool! Sorry to hear that hope the future brings you better things!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:38 AM   #12
rh224

Quote:
Is this tactile feedback for just a standard wired 360 Microsoft brand controller, or is it for the wireless one?
I am not totally sure

I am using a wired one because I got tired of shoddy support for the wireless controller.

I DO have a wireless controller as well, but I am not sure where my USB receiver thingie is right now. If I find it tomorrow I can try for you. But it's nearly 5AM and I need to go to bed now, sorry.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:38 AM   #13
Cobalt2202

I find mouse more flexible than analog sticks, turning can be too slow and raising it can be too sensitive. But of course, movements however, controller has the upper hand than keyboard.
Cobalt2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:40 AM   #14
Aullah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh224 View Post
Definitely better with the Xbox 360 controller.
Because we all know, that every FPS game is better with a gamepad.
Aullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:40 AM   #15
Freyar

Quote:
Ahh that sounds kinda cool! Sorry to hear that hope the future brings you better things!
The analog combat is nice because it makes the game a bit more different than Borderlands. (Combat becomes more.. specific? More... skill oriented assuming future enemies are resistant to attacks from specific directions?)

As far as the mod stuff, it was my choice, there's zero hard feelings anywhere.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island