Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island

Old 09-11-2011, 06:06 AM   #721
Sick_of_This

For those still asking about durability and seemingly too lazy to use the "search thread" option:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick_of_This View Post
I already posted a "fix" for that a while back. You still need to repair items, but they last much longer before you need to do so.

Extract data0 as normal.
Open data>skills>default_levels
Find these entries:

BluntWpnDurabilityLoss
CutWpnDurabilityLoss

Change their value to something like: -50

Weapons will now degrade at a much slower rate. I guess you could enter -100 or -500 etc. but -50 seems about fine to me.

As normal, place the edited file into

Documents>Dead Island>out>data>skills
OldBrokenLink, could you possibly put this on the first page and add it under a new section:

"Single Player/Friends Only Mods"

Or something similar. I can understand why a lot of people want this, however I think it's only suitable to use it with Single Player or with friends who want it as well.

(This of course is a problem intrinsic with us being able to make such drastic changes to gameplay with mods that only affect the client.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano Ris View Post
For this Mod you will want to edit the Data0/Data/inventory.src.
Open it in Notepad++ click Strg+F and search for UseOnPickUp(true)
and change it to UseOnPickUp(false)
If you leave it like this each food you pick up will use one slot of your inventory.
If you want to change that, 10 lines above each of the UseOnPickUp lines will be the line: MaxStackCount(1)
Change the 1 to any number you like. If for example you change it to MaxStackCount(10) than you will be able to stack 10 cans, or 10 apples or 10 snack bars in one slot.

After you have finished save the file to Documents\DeadIsland\out\Data
You will only be able to use it if you are not at full health and you can use it like any medkit with the Health key (Default is H i think)

For modding other stuff that changes gameplay like Damage Resistance/skills per level/drop probability of orange weapons/giving alcohol some use/WpnDurability... go to this post of mine
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...&postcount=611
wow, that's awesome!

Last edited by Sick_of_This: 09-11-2011 at 06:11 AM.
Sick_of_This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #722
Drakenreiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano Ris View Post
For this Mod you will want to edit the Data0/Data/inventory.src.
Open it in Notepad++ click Strg+F and search for UseOnPickUp(true)
and change it to UseOnPickUp(false)
If you leave it like this each food you pick up will use one slot of your inventory.
If you want to change that, 10 lines above each of the UseOnPickUp lines will be the line: MaxStackCount(1)
Change the 1 to any number you like. If for example you change it to MaxStackCount(10) than you will be able to stack 10 cans, or 10 apples or 10 snack bars in one slot.

After you have finished save the file to Documents\DeadIsland\out\Data
You will only be able to use it if you are not at full health and you can use it like any medkit with the Health key (Default is H i think)
That's really nice, great find. I'm doing some progress on the HUD. You have to jump/sprint/attack one time for the stamina bar to show up but after that it stays there. I hope that's ok for you guys. I still have to figure out how to stop the weapon durability from flickering when you keep the quick inventory key pressed (some help from somebody more experienced in this would be nice since I'm just a beginner). I still need the lines for the fury meter to make it stay on screen all the time. I have found out how the weapon durability icon is called ( <Id>HudInventory</Id> ). I think that's pretty much it. I hope the "mod" will work for everyone and not act crazy depending on the resolution. I started doing it for me so maybe if it's needed someone else can take over and apply the final fixes after I finish with it.
Drakenreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #723
-==XR==-

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbrokenlink View Post
Cabs is correct if you open up the program in something like Reflector which is a MSIL decompile, http://www.reflector.net/, you can see exactly what it is doing. Everything is there for you to look at, no surpises.
The problem here is that this program requires you to select the main directory of your game that has deadislandgame.exe , dosent this mean its trying to change main game files instead of the documents portion only?
Old 09-11-2011, 06:19 AM   #724
Jano Ris

Ahh crap now i have to remap all my key bindings manually since I am using the the inputs.scr file to fix the F key issue now. Is the key name in the file for the Tabulator key 'Tab'? Since i want to use this for Inventory key
Jano Ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #725
NightLight

Quote:
For those still asking about durability and seemingly too lazy to use the "search thread" option:

I tried putting the value to 0, and it still degrades. The default value is 1 and you asked to enter the value to -50? Will that not get the opposite effect?
NightLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #726
Jano Ris

Quote:
Originally Posted by -==XR==- View Post
The problem here is that this program requires you to select the main directory of your game that has deadislandgame.exe , dosent this mean its trying to change main game files instead of the documents portion only?
nope it probably only needs to know where the Data0, Data1 and Data2 files are located to extract the files it needs and edit it. I assume that it is programmed like this to be able to keep the program low size even if it gets upgraded with more and more build in mods.
But as it is right now it would be enough if the program would have the .xml and .scr files it needs already in its own package.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:31 AM   #727
Drakenreiter

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/4...e201109111.jpg
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4...e201109111.jpg

I want some feedback on this. Are the HUD elements positioned good for those that are interested in this HUD "mod"?

I thought about something... it would be nice to have the quick inventory key display just that, the quick circular inventory. The quest progress could be displayed when you press a button (could be toggleable). The amount of money you have... I could make those stay on the screen at all times, below the weapon durability icon in this case (I would just need the lines in HUD.xui for this too).
Drakenreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #728
Sick_of_This

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightLight View Post
I tried putting the value to 0, and it still degrades. The default value is 1 and you asked to enter the value to -50? Will that not get the opposite effect?
No. -50 will cause very slow degradation to weapons.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:35 AM   #729
NightLight

Quote:
No. -50 will cause very slow degradation to weapons.
With the negative? I tried just "50.0" and it doesnt degrade at all (I swung my level 1 wrench maybe 30 times or so and not a single bit go down), which I dont particularly like.

Could the degradation loss maybe can be made slower (around maybe 5-10x slower than default)?
Old 09-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #730
-==XR==-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabs View Post
Hey guys,

I've taken the tweaks you've written up in this thread and built a tool that makes it easy to apply them. You can grab it here:

http://www.theplaywrite.com/tools-an...to-edit-files/

It even replaces the need for Filter Keys, by preventing repeated keystrokes. This fixes the stuttering / jerkiness issue.

I plan to add more tweaks as I find them, but for now, it tackles the big ones: motion blur, bloom, SSAO, etc.

The post I've linked to above contains instructions on how to use the program. If you have any questions or comments, just reply to that post.
Ok i am running the latest version 1.4 of your program so far everything works great. Had a little issue with v-sync but after a reboot it seems to be working now. I have yet to try the weather settings as i read people had some issues with zombies not responding when weather was modified. Other than that this has made the game 100x better my eyes no longer cry for help. Thnx a bunch for all the effort.

Last edited by -==XR==-: 09-11-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #731
Jano Ris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick_of_This
I already posted a "fix" for that a while back. You still need to repair items, but they last much longer before you need to do so.

Quote:
Extract data0 as normal.
Open data>skills>default_levels
Find these entries:

BluntWpnDurabilityLoss
CutWpnDurabilityLoss

Change their value to something like: -50

Weapons will now degrade at a much slower rate. I guess you could enter -100 or -500 etc. but -50 seems about fine to me.

As normal, place the edited file into

Documents>Dead Island>out>data>skills

OldBrokenLink, could you possibly put this on the first page and add it under a new section:

"Single Player/Friends Only Mods"

Or something similar. I can understand why a lot of people want this, however I think it's only suitable to use it with Single Player or with friends who want it as well.

(This of course is a problem intrinsic with us being able to make such drastic changes to gameplay with mods that only affect the client.)

Quote:
You could also try it with your skill tree file.
Go to Data0/Data/Skills/ and choose your corresponding characters skill file. For example if you have Logan it is: logan_skills.xml

now I don't want to explain this again so i simply took sth i posted before and edited it so that it does what you wish. THe red lines are the lines that I added for you

Quote:
Quote:
<effect id="UpgradesCostFactor" change="-0.1"/>
<effect id="WeaponRepairPriceFactor" change="-0.1"/>
<effect id="BluntWpnDurabilityLoss" change="-0.05"/>
<effect id="CutWpnDurabilityLoss" change="-0.05"/>
<effect id="CraftedWpnDurReduceMul" change="-0.1"/>
<effect id="MeleeWpnDurabilityMulReduce" change="-0.1"/>
Add those lines into the character that you are playing skill file .
For example for Logan it is Data0/Data/Skills/logan_skills.xml

Now you choose one of the skills of your choice. I believe that using a skill that you already have will make you get this upgrade instantly. But to be sure you should choose a skill that you will buy/upgrade the next time you level.

I will take Logans BluntApprentice skill as example and I added those lines (the ones in red)
Quote:
<skill id="BluntApprentice" cat="Tree2" max_level="1" tier="0">
<effect id="BluntWeaponsSkill" change="1"/>
<effect id="BluntDamageMul" change="0.05"/>
<effect id="MeeleBluntStaminaUsageMul" change="-0.1"/>
<effect id="BluntCriticalChance" change="0.01"/>
<effect id="UpgradesCostFactor" change="-1.0"/>
<effect id="WeaponRepairPriceFactor" change="-1.0"/>
<effect id="BluntWpnDurabilityLoss" change="-1.0"/>
<effect id="CutWpnDurabilityLoss" change="-1.0"/>
<effect id="CraftedWpnDurReduceMul" change="-1.0"/>
<effect id="MeleeWpnDurabilityMulReduce" change="-1.0"/>

</skill>
As you can see i changed in those lines the number from -0.1 to -1.0
I chose a skill that you can't upgrade since you don't know if upgrading it will make it 300% cheaper (what would mean that you would get double the repair price everytime you repair sth and make easy money)

But completely without Durability loss i think it will be pretty boring.

Also I don't know for sure if this works since I never tried it...but i believe it should work
Also

Last edited by Jano Ris: 09-11-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:41 AM   #732
Sick_of_This

Quote:
With the negative? I tried just "50.0" and it doesnt degrade at all (I swung my level 1 wrench maybe 30 times or so and not a single bit go down), which I dont particularly like.

Could the degradation loss maybe can be made slower (around maybe 5-10x slower than default)?
Weapons only degrade when you actually hit a zombie with it and yes, it's -50. You can always adjust it to say -30 or -10, until you're happy with the rate it degrades.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #733
NightLight

Both Jano and Sick_Of_This, thanks a lot! I found a happy medium. It's actually -5 for me

-10 is a bit too slow. I might even lower it down further but right now -5 is pretty good. I also modified the skill for the characters so the maintenance skill actually got 15,30,45 instead of 10,20,30.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #734
Jano Ris

Quote:

Uhm yeah you should do it negative. Also you should hit a zombie with it, if you really set it to 50, than normaly the weapon should break 500x times faster.

I can't really say if negative values work better than small values, since if it is negative it should not degrade but increase normally...so i don't know what the formula for the durability loss is...but setting it to a really small number like 0.001 should work too... i personally set it to 0.3 and i like it that way
Old 09-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #735
Double D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterbrute View Post
Winrar open up data0.pak, go to Data\Skills and extract default_levels.xml. The same way you edit FOV just put the default_levels.xml in Documents\DeadIsland\out\Data\Skills and open with notepad or notepad++ then edit the lines you want.

You can increase player damage, maximum health, change the FOV as is posted on front page, change speed, never lose money, and a bunch of other stuff simply by turning cvars on or off.

Just hit Ctrl + F and search for <prop n="PenaltyOnDeath" v="1"/> and change the 1 to 0.

Edit:

What I'd like to know is how to adjust saturation.
Are you more at threat of being banned for using this alteration? Especially if others join your game or what?
Double D is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island