Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 09-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
ZaLiTHkA

Disable / Delay Steam Automatic Updates

Is there any way I can keep Steam from downloading game updates automatically...? I know about the option in the game properties, but as soon as the game is launched that option changes back to updating automatically again...

I just got back into Windows after playing some Borderlands to find that Steam used up nearly 800MB of bandwidth to download a 250MB update. I assume the download must have failed and restarted a couple times, but this is extremely painful considering I only have a 3GB cap to last me the whole month.

My ADSL account has a service that gives me 5 times my download cap between 1am and 8am every night, so I try keep the updates to that time, but now because of the fun I had with it today, I've lost out on a potential 4GB of download.. Because of a damn 250MB update?? Seriously? This sucks donkey balls.. Big sweaty, hairy ones.. With great enthusiasm.

Is it possible to get only a notification of updates and then let me install them later? Otherwise, I'm honestly considering just cutting my losses, ditching Steam completely (with all the games I've already paid for) and finding something else.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
ASecondOpinion

Well, you can't not get the patch because Devs would not want you to be playing an outdated version of their game. So, upon launch it's going to force the download of the latest patch.

Thing is, you are allowed to pause your updates, y'know? They will then stay paused until you give Steam the go ahead at a time that suits you.
ASecondOpinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Epsilon

They're in the process of upgrading Steam's download system to be better in every way, including letting you play without installing updates, download schedulers and limiters, etc.

So yeh, it sucks now, but it'll suck a lot less in a few months.
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
ASecondOpinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Including letting you play without installing updates
Oh? May I have a source, please?
ASecondOpinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Epsilon

"You’ll also be able to download an update to a game while you’re playing that game; Steam will apply the update after you exit the game."

http://store.steampowered.com/news/5856/
Old 09-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
flambeau2

On your Steam client, go to "library", then right click at the game, then select "properties". Click at "updates" tab and choose "do not automatically update this game"

That should do it
flambeau2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Epsilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambeau2 View Post
On your Steam client, go to "library", then right click at the game, then select "properties". Click at "updates" tab and choose "do not automatically update this game"

That should do it
I invite you to read the original post again rather than skimming it.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
ZaLiTHkA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASecondOpinion View Post
Thing is, you are allowed to pause your updates, y'know? They will then stay paused until you give Steam the go ahead at a time that suits you.
Yeah, I do know about that.. It doesn't help much if when you don't know it's downloading anything though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
"You’ll also be able to download an update to a game while you’re playing that game; Steam will apply the update after you exit the game."

http://store.steampowered.com/news/5856/
Nice... Hopefully the download scheduling feature comes soon then, I've had to buy extra on my cap this month to make sure I have enough.

Honestly, as for not being able to play a game until it's updated... All I want is to get a notification of updates without it downloading whenever it wants to. If I don't get to play a game until it's updated, no problem.. I'll just download the update later and play it next time.
ZaLiTHkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:15 AM   #9
ZaLiTHkA

Ok wait, here's another possible idea/solution for the auto-update thing... What about having current downloads listed in the Steam game overlay screen? Something simple like the progress bar from the main window with "1 item downloading" for example.. Surely that's a reasonable request?

Is there perhaps any way to do this already...? I've seen some pretty interesting utilities/settings apps for Steam games, surely one could be used to see current downloads (if any) while a game is running?
ZaLiTHkA is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips