Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 09-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
MarcusLucario

Lightbulb Strange Weapon Crafting (suggestion)

So Valve, do you think we could get the ability to craft strange weapons?

It could work in a number of ways; perhaps if a person were to smelt 2 strange weapons together it would produce a strange token. This strange token could then be used like a tool in the backpack and paired up with a weapon to give it the strange quality. This would, of course, allow a person to pick strange weapons that they actually want to bring into play, instead of the two unused ones from before.

Another way (though I know it will be less popular) would involve crafting two strange weapons much like crafting two hats together, where the final product would end up being a single random strange weapon. Obviously, this could just end up putting the user back into the same position as before, being stuck with a stupid strange weapon they don’t want. It could also give them a more useful strange weapon too, though. It’s a gamble, just like crafting hats together. I, of course, would like to see the first one put in place.

There are multiple reasons that crafting strange weapons would make a nice addition to Team Fortress 2.

1. The first being that there is currently no way of obtaining many weapons in the strange quality. I for one, would like a Strange Reserve shooter, but of course that is unobtainable in the current situation. I’m certain that there are many other players who wish to have strange weapons, but are unable to get the weapon they want simply because it doesn’t exist.

2. The second reason is that many of the strange weapons floating around are nigh worthless. The Chargin’ Targe, the Bonesaw, and the Gloves of Running Urgently are prime examples of this. The Chargin’ Targe and GRU are more used as tools rather than weapons, and witnessing a kill with either of this is a very rare sight. And in the case of the Bonesaw, well, there are straight upgrades over it and there’s no reason to actually use it if you’ve got one.

3. If these crafting ideas, especially if the first one, were put into place, key sales for Valve would raise a bit. If all the craft-worthy strange weapons are being used up (either for crafting or the players keeping them for the intended kill-counting use), then fewer strange weapons will be available to trade. People will eventually buy keys to obtain strange weapons to use in play/use in crafting.

If this mechanic were put into play, however, there would need to be a certain option put into the game as well. Can you guess what this forum begging option may be? I am talking about the “Strange Weapon Notification” pop-ups. There needs to be an option to disable these pop ups that doesn’t also disable trade requests.

There should be 4 options to choose from:
1. Disable Trade Requests From Everyone
2. Disable Trade Requests From Strangers
3. Disable Strange Weapon Notifications From Everyone
4. Disable Strange Weapon Notifications From Strangers

If people were going to obtain strange weapons they actually want, they’re going to use them more. Strange weapon notifications would pop up like crazy for a while as people begin to craft all their worthless strange weapons into ones they actually plan on using. As much as I love strange weapons, I don’t want to see random wierdos leveling up their weapons. But I would like to see notifications about weapons from friends, because they’re people that actually matter to me. I also enjoy trading with people (in trade servers, that is), and the current system of disabling pop-ups disables trade notifications along with the strange weapon level up notifications. This new list of options would allow players to tweak Team Fortress 2 to make their experience most enjoyable.

Thoughts? Comments? I know there are other ways a strange weapon crafting system could work, so if you've got some better ideas, please share them.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
MarcusLucario

A number of new strange statistics would also be a necessary addition. Such as a Strange Sandvich tracking the number of meals eaten, and Strange Gunboats tracking how many rocket jumps taken.
MarcusLucario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
sabata2

There's a problem with your logic.

There's a finite amount of Strange weapons.
Unlike Hats that drop (and thus are infinite), Stranges can only come from crates.

So there's a very real possibility that a single strange weapons is crafted out of existence in BOTH situations.

A Strange Token isn't bad, but I think it should be a Strange Class/slot Token that randomly drops to allow you to randomly craft a new Strange weapon is a much better idea.
sabata2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
MarcusLucario

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabata2 View Post
There's a problem with your logic.

There's a finite amount of Strange weapons.
Unlike Hats that drop (and thus are infinite), Stranges can only come from crates.

So there's a very real possibility that a single strange weapons is crafted out of existence in BOTH situations.

A Strange Token isn't bad, but I think it should be a Strange Class/slot Token that randomly drops to allow you to randomly craft a new Strange weapon is a much better idea.
Thanks for the heads up. Though I did comment how "craftable" strange weapons would eventually become rarer due to people drying up the supply. That's a great suggestion though, it would be nice to have a randomly dropped "strange token" of some kind. Only being able to get stranges from crates is a bit of a downer.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Luvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLucario View Post
I know there are other ways a strange weapon crafting system could work, so if you've got some better ideas, please share them.

Not saying my idea is 'better' than yours, but I believe that one should instead get Strange Scrap Metal from smelting two Strange weapons, and go on from there. Yes, the process for one new Strange Weapon would be drawn-out and difficult, but then again that's why it's a good thing: You pay a high price to obtain a Strange Liberty Launcher(For example) before Valve releases it in crates (If they ever do)...And yes, this would also have Craft Numbers.

Also, for example, to convert a specific weapon such as the Unusual Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker, you'd need to use the Haunted Metal Scrap, and replace the Refined Metal and/or the Scotsman's Skullcutter with the Strange equivalents, and that would get you a Strange Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker.

Regardless, I will +Rep you because this is a good and reasonable idea to craft Strange Weapons (Valve loses no money on this)

Quote:
Not exactly. If you, say, use up the last existing Strange Scottish Resistance to make a Strange Scrap Metal, then all you would need to do is combine that Strange Metal with a Demoman Token and a Secondary Weapon Token, for a chance at obtaining the Strange Scottish Resistance back.

Last edited by Luvas: 09-09-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Luvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
sabata2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvas View Post
Strange Scrap Metal

Not exactly. If you, say, use up the last existing Strange Scottish Resistance to make a Strange Scrap Metal, then all you would need to do is combine that Strange Metal with a Demoman Token and a Secondary Weapon Token, for a chance at obtaining the Strange Scottish Resistance back.
The "problem" with the former is it would (supposedly) follow the Non Trade-able method of "infecting" items. Which mean 1 S. Scrap + 2 Scrap = 1 S. Rec.
Smelt the S. Rec and now you have 3 S. Scrap where when you started you had one.
Stranges would plummet in price and NO ONE would buy Strange crates cause it'd be cheaper to just infect the "random" recipe.

And yes there's a CHANCE it could come back, but it's just a CHANCE. Which is exactly what I was saying, just as there's a chance it WONT go, there's even MORE chance it WILL (because odds are you WON'T get that item back)
Old 09-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Jeckler

strange razorback would be tough to level. Rewards you for not being wary?
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
MarcusLucario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckler View Post
strange razorback would be tough to level. Rewards you for not being wary?
Rewarding stupidity.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Arroyo

Quote:
The "problem" with the former is it would (supposedly) follow the Non Trade-able method of "infecting" items. Which mean 1 S. Scrap + 2 Scrap = 1 S. Rec.
Smelt the S. Rec and now you have 3 S. Scrap where when you started you had one.
Stranges would plummet in price and NO ONE would buy Strange crates cause it'd be cheaper to just infect the "random" recipe.

And yes there's a CHANCE it could come back, but it's just a CHANCE. Which is exactly what I was saying, just as there's a chance it WONT go, there's even MORE chance it WILL (because odds are you WON'T get that item back)
Make the metal appear only in crates then. It's a neat idea to be honest, and not all weapons can be craftable so you are forced to open crates for certain weapons that aren't craftable or don't require metal in the recipe (such as flare gun, the vanilla weapons, ect.)

This of course is for weapons that require metal in their recipe. It would be a dumb idea to craft the metal with the item you want to make strange.

Last edited by Arroyo: 09-09-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Arroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
sabata2

Pyro Token + Secondary Token + Strange Scrap = chance at Strange Flaregun.

The only things you CAN'T get strange with Strange Scrap are select promos (I think)

And even if Strange Scrap came in a crate, assuming it combined with 2 Scraps to make a Strange Rec, you's still have the infection problem.

Now then, if there's a Strange Metal (level 4) that came in crates that could be added to any recipe to tack on the Strange attribute, then there's nothing wrong with the idea.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
MarcusLucario

I really enjoy reading all these different ideas. At least we all agree on one thing, Valve should really introduce this concept into Team Fortress 2.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #12
psyNagaiki

I prefer the kind of this:
- Strange Scrap Metal = 3 Strange Weapons.
- Strange Reclaimed Metal = 3 Strange Scrap Metal
- Strange Refined Metal = 3 Strange Reclaimed Metal.
- Unusual Scrap Metal = 4 Strange Refined Metal.
- Unusual Hat = 4 Unusual Scrap Metal + 1 Strange Refined Metal.

Also the rec:
- Smelt Strange Weapons
- Smelt Strange Reclaimed Metal
- Smelt Strange Refined Metal
- Make Strange Class Token = 4 same Strange W. from the same class
- Make Strange Slot Token = 4 Strange W. from the same slot
- Craft Strange Weapon (2 Strange Metal + 1 Strange Class Token + 1 Strange Slot Token)
- Make Unusual Hat/Scrap.

What's moar. Valve sure have lots of money if they see this.
psyNagaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
MarcusLucario

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyNagaiki View Post
I prefer the kind of this:
- Strange Scrap Metal = 3 Strange Weapons.
- Strange Reclaimed Metal = 3 Strange Scrap Metal
- Strange Refined Metal = 3 Strange Reclaimed Metal.
- Unusual Scrap Metal = 4 Strange Refined Metal.
- Unusual Hat = 4 Unusual Scrap Metal + 1 Strange Refined Metal.

Also the rec:
- Smelt Strange Weapons
- Smelt Strange Reclaimed Metal
- Smelt Strange Refined Metal
- Make Strange Class Token = 4 same Strange W. from the same class
- Make Strange Slot Token = 4 Strange W. from the same slot
- Craft Strange Weapon (2 Strange Metal + 1 Strange Class Token + 1 Strange Slot Token)
- Make Unusual Hat/Scrap.

What's moar. Valve sure have lots of money if they see this.
Maybe it's just me, but I really don't like the concept of being able to craft unusuals. Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily hate them. But I really don't need the extra floating particle effects clogging up my favorite servers. Though I do see that crafting an unusual via your suggested methods would thankfully take a LONG time.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #14
Critch

I am not sure theres a real need to create a whole new range of weapons for crafting. Also it would sort of shoot the golden goose so I doubt valve would even entertain it.

However I would like to see stranges as the dueling prizes giving a small but not insignificant pathway to gaining these weapons for free (sort of)

Last edited by Critch: 09-10-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #15
MarcusLucario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
However I would like to see stranges as the dueling prizes giving a small but not insignificant pathway to gaining these weapons for free (sort of)
Now that's an idea I could get behind. Dueling minigame prizes could also end up dropping strange stock weapons too.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2