Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Command & Conquer series

Old 09-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
mitzibishi uk

why hasnt any command & conquers took off like Starcraft

im a big red alert 2 guy, so when RA2 didnt work on my new PC build i bought red alert 3 when it was on sale awhile back, got into it was fun and a good game multiplayer, good units, micro, maps and liked how alot more units could go in water so the map wasnt a staight land based game with water as a side.

its not as good as RA2 but its not far off.

but did notice that there were few people on, you could hardly get games, few people in the lobby and is there even a ladder system?

now ive got starcraft and have to admit it just as good as RA3 gameplay wise, presentation wise and features SC kills it though,

both have their differences where in SC theres alot more micro on resource gathering and in red alert as usual you can combat certain units with your units skills, lots of unit micro, rather than starcrafts getting your economy up fast and teching up with the person with the highest tech units winning if the first few minutes rush hasnt won the game,

anyway why hasnt any C&C took off like SC has, its massive

Old 09-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Mr.Ceefus

Red Alert had its time in the sun back in the day. Blizzard is also a much loved company that doesn't stray too far from its winning formulas.
Mr.Ceefus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:59 AM   #3
mitzibishi uk

maybe EA saturated the market with C&C games and never concentrated on 1 or 2, i know there was always alot of them but now theres loads.

they havnt really pushed any unless its the new 1 then on to the next.

they should have really concentrated on RA3 and tiberium and got a big multiplayer following like the old RA2.

they should of shouted the ladder standings from the rooftops like it meant something to them like blizzard.

good business says sell more copies of 2 games rather than spending money on production for 10 games only to be selling a little more

Last edited by mitzibishi uk: 09-11-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
BerronDavis

I think the worst thing that ever happened to the serious was westwood being taken over. Tiberium Sun was amazing and so were all the RA games up through Yuris. Idk if anybody played Renagade but that was a pretty good shooter based off the Tiberium games. Once EA took over i think the games kinda went downhill. They are still good but not as good anymore.
BerronDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
Friendliest

C&C1 was fun back in the day.

was there a ladder / chatrooms / etc. and other infrastructure to support keeping people interested in a "social" sense, though? I don't remember which seems to indicate "no".

yet C&C was two relatively homogenous factions whereas I think part of the appeal of SC has always been the 3 factions. tons of MP content (maps, mods, modes, etc.)

other reason it doesn't take off now is cuz it's EA and ppl just don't like EA. they are never going to support a game as deeply. they are just too focused on profits to care that much.

generals had a scene for a while till they failed to support it, let cheaters and disconnecters (aka "pullers" lol were u there?!) dominate the ladder, and shelved the whole game when LOTR came out.

for that matter, part of the appeal of SC is u can run it on a 15 yr old PC. don't even need a 3d card. YET, at the same time, SC will install and run fine on modern hardware/OS. same cannot be said for the CDs I have for every westwood C&C product, which will just gather dust until I probably one day throw them away.
Friendliest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Vordus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzibishi uk View Post
im a big red alert 2 guy, so when RA2 didnt work on my new PC build i bought red alert 3 when it was on sale awhile back, got into it was fun and a good game multiplayer, good units, micro, maps and liked how alot more units could go in water so the map wasnt a staight land based game with water as a side.

its not as good as RA2 but its not far off.

but did notice that there were few people on, you could hardly get games, few people in the lobby and is there even a ladder system?

now ive got starcraft and have to admit it just as good as RA3 gameplay wise, presentation wise and features SC kills it though,

both have their differences where in SC theres alot more micro on resource gathering and in red alert as usual you can combat certain units with your units skills, lots of unit micro, rather than starcrafts getting your economy up fast and teching up with the person with the highest tech units winning if the first few minutes rush hasnt won the game,

anyway why hasnt any C&C took off like SC has, its massive
Because all games are except Red Alert 1 and Command & Conquer + Tiberium Sun
Vordus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
Slaizt

I think did a pretty good job with C&C3.
The game sported traditional C&C gameplay, nice graphics and built-in support for replays, commentary and observation.
They even ran tournaments and the show BattleCast which highlighted matches and events. Unfortunately it all kinda died down a few months after the release of Kane's Wrath (which is the cheesiest sub-title in a long time).

Blizzard is still Blizzard we know from back in the 90s. But Westwood is no more... I think that is the major difference.
Slaizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
Snorkel

C&C, Red Alert and C&C Tiberian Sun were all pretty popular games in their times.
Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
JackNiko

all EA'S fault since they took over all originality, innovation, plot, and resonable pricing went to hell

c&c3, kanes wrath where ok to quite good, and so was tiberian sun, but there incomplete games, and how they ruined the red alert franchise is soul destroying

people keep saying how good red alert 2 or generals where but there games where you build a lot of units ANY units and you would always win

the straegic element has been removed

i quite enjoyed red alert 3 but again elements where not right, and again the plot had suffered further dedgration
JackNiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
5onic

CnC is more for story. I enjoy CnC a lot more than any other RTS. Hey CnC could be as great as star craft if it had about 100+ patches as well.

Most of the games are great in the series, I have no issue in saying this one sucks or that one sucks like most people. Most favourable is red alert 1.
5onic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
robrich_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerronDavis View Post
I think the worst thing that ever happened to the serious was westwood being taken over. Tiberium Sun was amazing and so were all the RA games up through Yuris. Idk if anybody played Renagade but that was a pretty good shooter based off the Tiberium games. Once EA took over i think the games kinda went downhill. They are still good but not as good anymore.
You do realise that EA purchased them in 1998 and only the original C&C & Red Alert were prior to the purchase?
robrich_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #12
Slaizt

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrich_82 View Post
You do realise that EA purchased them in 1998 and only the original C&C & Red Alert were prior to the purchase?
But they were still their own studio up until after Red Alert 2. I don't know exactly when but somewhere after that, they got split up and merged with EA's own development teams.
Slaizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:00 AM   #13
Cpt.Henry

EA ruined Red Alert, do not buy from EA, they are a huge corp that only wants money, and will not and never will put out a game that is ment for the community to enjoy, they want your money, nothing else.... Its like oil.. get it while it last's then move on to another fool community that thinks their town or city will become better because that corp wants to support it.. in the end they will bail on you and move on leaving you in the dust thinking wtf just happened?
Cpt.Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #14
pwet

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrich_82 View Post
Except, at first, Westwood was still in control of things, they were until RA2/YR, EA really took over with Generals...

Generals/HH and TW/KW were good game, but they really could have been better, especially KW, the game had so much potential, EA was just too lazy/greedy/whatever else to care and support it.

They just wanted another cow to milk with the C&C series, it's a shame they ruined it.
pwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
Moe45673

I'm actually playing Generals now and it's still an amazing game.

But damn that last level in the China campaign, the AI cheats! I think I need to build a nuke
Moe45673 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Command & Conquer series