Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island

Old 09-11-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
S3anyBoy

Lightbulb Dead Island Plus [WIP] (Beta 1.1.1)

Description:
This mod aims to increase the realism and difficulty in Dead Island.
The mod is fully customizable and open source, and I've tried to include as much documentation as possible, so if you don't like a feature of the mod (or even the game itself) it should be fairly simple to change with only a small amount of modification.

It is still in development, but I want to try to have releases as often as possible.

Feel free to give feedback on things you'd like to see added/changed/removed, or any bugs you encounter.

To Install:
Extract the DeadIsland folder from this archive into your "My Documents" folder and replace any existing files if prompted.

Files List (Outdated):
\out\Data\Skills\Default_levels.xml (FOV, Health, Leveling)
\out\Data\Menu\Hud\HUD.xui (HUD stuff)
\out\Data\AI\Zombie\vessel_data.scr (Zombie AI improvements)
\out\Data\AI\Infected\infected_data.scr (Infected AI Improvements)
\out\Data\Scripts\weather_none.scr (Environment)
\out\Data\xp_rewards.scr (Leveling)

Changes:

Beta 1.1.1 (9/16/11):
Gameplay -
- Lowered Jumpstaminausage from 0.75 to 0.5
- Lowered maxjumpheight when under effects of soda

Bugfixes-
- (Hopefully) fixed game crashing when opening inventory as logan due to wrong value

Known bugs:
- When loading saved games from vanilla game with deeper pockets skill, the skill seems to have no effect

Beta 1.1 (9/13/11):

Graphical -
- Stamina is no longer displayed on the HUD, you will need to use audio cues to tell when you are running low on stamina.
- Minimap is no longer displayed on HUD, learn the island's layout, or check your full map when safe. Just remember, getting lost can be deadly.
- Crosshair is no longer displayed
- Increased FoV (to 82.5 from 62.5)
- *Most* maps should be noticeably darker, with light rain and wind

Gameplay -
- Player will level slightly faster
- Player gains an addition skill point on every 10th level up to 30 (10/20/30)
- Player can carry more ammo (roughly 1 extra mag) for all firearms (+10 pistol, +30 rifle, +10 shotgun, +5 sniper)
- Bullets have 25% chance to penetrate enemies
- Player health takes longer to start regenerating (up to 7.5 seconds from 2 seconds)
- Player health regenerates more slowly (down to 1.5 hp/sec from 20 hp/sec)
- Player cannot regenerate while knocked down
- Player will only regenerate 25 health (down from 30)
- Player will lose 1/2 of total money on death
- Player gets 25% damage boost when health is below 30, to offset difficulty
- Player has 25% damage resistance against falling.
- Stamina regenerates slightly slower.
- Jumping uses more stamina, so you can't just spam jump-kick.
- Starting Inventory size is 6, becomes 8 at level 5, 10 at level 10, and 12 at level 15

- Decreased chance that enemies will grab player (70% of default)
- Infected drown, but Zombies (walker/thug/etc) do not
- Enemies should be more aware of their surroundings, and chase players further
- Enemies burn longer, but take less damage from burning
- Enemies take 1/4th normal damage from hits on front_torso, legs, and arms
- Enemies take 1/2 damage from hits on back
- Enemies take 1.5 damage from hits on head (down from 2.0)
- Infected have basic self-preservation and will protect their head while falling
- Infected can regenerate health slowly after not taking damage for a while
- Infected stand up after being knocked down faster
- Enemies should respawn less often

- Blunt weapons should have great durability bonus
- Cutting weapons should have good durability bonus
(Trying to quantify these 2 changes with numbers is pretty hard because of all the variables that affect the weapons durability, but my vanilla wooden plank with 21 durability got ~20 hits before breaking, while the same wooden plank with the mod enabled had a +10 durability bonus, and was able to hit more than 45 times before breaking.)

- Alcohol is not used automatically, and stacks to 5
- Reimplemented drunk effects of alcohol (temporarily increases damage resistance/weapon force, decreased firearm accuracy)

- Soda is not used automatically, and stacks to 6
- Soda will heal up to 50 hp at 1.5hp/sec for 30 seconds, will temporarily increase max stamina, stamina regen rate, movement speed, attack speed, jump height, and maximum throwing distance

- Implemented Painkillers (temporarily makes player invulnerable, and regenerates health, does not stack) [probably don't spawn yet]

- Snack bars are not used automatically, and stack to 5
- Large and medium medkits stack to 1 and 2 respectively

Other -
- Lots of comments added to the default_levels.xml file based on info gathered from testing to make modification easier

Bugfixes:
- Fixed game crashing when turning on gas pumps in "Ashes to Ashes" quest
- Fixed some characters not having correct jumpstaminausage
- Indoor lighting bug has been fixed on act1

ToDo List for next version:
- Make sure painkillers are spawning correctly
- Implement throwing knives (stackable, cheap knives with low durability)
- Update file list, and comments
- Headshots killing zombies in 1-shot
- Make sure indoor lighting bug is fixed on all levels
- and more
Projected Release: 9/23-9/25

Techland and DeepSilver for the awesome game.

John for being a bro
oldbrokenlink for kickstarting the DI modding community.
Kyodan for HUD and other info which formed the basis of this mod.
fabrock for weather info, and other info which formed the basis of parts of this mod.
ZPrime/t13 for ZDD (http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2110268), which formed the basis of parts of this mod.

Everyone else who contributed to the modding thread whose info I may have used (http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2106453)

Firefighters, police, EMS, and others who gave their lives trying to save the victims of the September 11th attacks.

DOWNLOAD:

Beta 1.1.1:
Dead_Island+_Beta_1.1.1.rar (64.23 KB)

Beta 1.1:
Dead_Island+_Beta_1.1.rar (60.91 KB)

Beta 1:
Dead_Island+_Beta_1.rar (58.75 KB)

Alpha 1:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KC952RJZ

Alpha 1.1:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G9FTIXZ9
Known Bugs:
- During cutscenes there is sometimes rain indoors

Feel free to modify and redistribute anything in the mod, as long as you also allow any derivative works to be freely modified/distributed.

Screenshots:
Without mod:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/S3anyBo...2089862714#_=_
With weather and FOV (HUD elements aren't changed in this shot):
http://steamcommunity.com/id/S3anyBo...4422747151#_=_

Regarding Multiplayer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3anyBoy View Post
While testing the current working version, someone with the vanilla game was able to join my map, and though he had never played the game before, it sounded like he was seeing the weather effects (probably because they're loaded from the host, but his HUD still showed crosshairs and such.

It's likely that as long as everyone is running the same version of the mod, they will all see the same things, and have all the new features.
Warning:
Back up your game save before using this mod, because there is a possibility that the inventory size changes, or number of skill level changes may cause problems if you try to switch back to vanilla.

Enjoy

Last edited by S3anyBoy: 09-18-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Updated mod
Old 09-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #2
Zombie Hugger

I really think you should be able to see your own stamina and health bar simply because in real life you'd be able to know how tired you are and how generally hurt you are.

Just saying...

Pretty iffy about adding more ammunition for weapons. Is this supposed to just help compensate for the difficulty? If you want to go for true realism, I really think ammunition limits are perfect the way they are (who is really going to carry 3+ clips for a rifle?).

Last edited by Zombie Hugger: 09-11-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Zombie Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
just_dont_do_it

Quote:
- Stamina is no longer displayed on the HUD, you will need to use audio cues to tell when you are running low on stamina
- Health is no longer displayed on the HUD
- Crosshair is no longer displayed
- Current weapon + weapon durability are no longer displayed on the HUD
Uhhhh. Why?!
- Because in Real Life you should use audio cues (like, your heart beating) to understand how tired you are?
- Because in Real Life you have NO idea how hurt you are?
- Because in Real Life you always know where's the center of your "screen" at which you're swinging, right?
- Because (no Real Life argument this time) it'll be so much FUN to constantly press "I" to see weapon durability?
just_dont_do_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
Zombie Hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dont_do_it View Post
- Because in Real Life you always know where's the center of your "screen" at which you're swinging, right?
- Because (no Real Life argument this time) it'll be so much FUN to constantly press "I" to see weapon durability?

I think the crosshair shouldn't be there for a mod like this. You don't really have 4 lines in your eyesight that expand or tighten up let alone move around based on what you're looking at (lolrobots).

I also think there should be a mod that changes a weapon's viewmodel based on it's current status (I know it changes, but it's barely noticeable + it looks like it's almost broken even though it's still got well over half it's durability).
Zombie Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
Deathsyt

Quote:
Uhhhh. Why?!
- Because in Real Life you should use audio cues (like, your heart beating) to understand how tired you are?
Yeah. I really don't like those changes either. Is there a way in place to revert those to how they already are?
Deathsyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:31 AM   #6
just_dont_do_it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Hugger View Post
I think the crosshair shouldn't be there for a mod like this. You don't really have 4 lines in your eyesight that expand or tighten up let alone move around based on what you're looking at (lolrobots).
A crosshair is a very simple way to tell the exact place of your character's attack. Something you can just DO in real life, you know.

A more proper way would be to change the shape to be way less intrusive. Like, a single dot.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:35 AM   #7
YahooElite

a Crosshair is like a sight or a scope on a gun in real life, imo it should stay enabled.
YahooElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:36 AM   #8
just_dont_do_it

Quote:
I also think there should be a mod that changes a weapon's viewmodel based on it's current status (I know it changes, but it's barely noticeable + it looks like it's almost broken even though it's still got well over half it's durability).
Yep. But without that, it makes sense to stick to existing on-screen indicator.
(Currently, some things, like wrenches, don't even have different viewmodels that reflect durability -- they always look "fresh" but in fact may be broken)
Old 09-11-2011, 03:37 AM   #9
Die_Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3anyBoy View Post
Firefighters, police, EMS, and others who gave their lives trying to save the victims of the September 11th attacks.
I don't want to start a flame but... what's the connection really?

Anyway, thanks for your work!
Die_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:39 AM   #10
fabrock

Just a warning... I had to basically give up on my weather mod method because there is a major major glitch. Zombies no longer move when it rains in maps that didn't originally have weather effects. I was so close to getting it to work perfectly too... ah well. Back to the drawing board. :P

Anyways if you figure it out, let me know please.

oldbrokenlink is also looking into it.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:39 AM   #11
viper_h

Kids or GTFO.
viper_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:40 AM   #12
Ki!ler-Mk1

Awesome attempt mate, but if you're gona fix realism, how about making my metal weapons a bit more durable?
Ki!ler-Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:40 AM   #13
YahooElite

If anyone uses this "Mod" be SURE to BACKUP the files that need to be replaced before you do so.

And Die_Angel, probably because today is 9/11.
YahooElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:42 AM   #14
fabrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahooElite View Post
If anyone uses this "Mod" be SURE to BACKUP the files that need to be replaced before you do so.

And Die_Angel, probably because today is 9/11.
It doesn't replace any of the default distribution files... unless you have already extracted them from the Data0.pak files and into your My Documents\DeadIsland\out\ folder yourself. The Data0.pak file technically is a backup since it will still hold all the unmodified versions of the files.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:53 AM   #15
S3anyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki!ler-Mk1 View Post
Awesome attempt mate, but if you're gona fix realism, how about making my metal weapons a bit more durable?
On the to-do list for the next release

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrock View Post
Just a warning... I had to basically give up on my weather mod method because there is a major major glitch. Zombies no longer move when it rains in maps that didn't originally have weather effects. I was so close to getting it to work perfectly too... ah well. Back to the drawing board. :P

Anyways if you figure it out, let me know please.

oldbrokenlink is also looking into it.
I was reading about that, but I didn't really notice a problem in my case, and it may have been offset by the AI changes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathsyt View Post
Yeah. I really don't like those changes either. Is there a way in place to revert those to how they already are?
You can choose to delete the HUD file if you want to have the default settings, or edit it to your liking, you can find most of the edited lines because they have comments on them.

Quote:
Uhhhh. Why?!
Well, personally I like the stamina bar being gone, and with the games autoaim the crosshairs are barely necessary anyway, but again, you can edit/remove the HUD.xui file to your liking, and based on feedback from the community, I will change/add/remove features.
The mod is still in development, and is very much a work in progress.

Quote:
I really think you should be able to see your own stamina and health bar simply because in real life you'd be able to know how tired you are and how generally hurt you are.
Just saying...

Pretty iffy about adding more ammunition for weapons. Is this supposed to just help compensate for the difficulty? If you want to go for true realism, I really think ammunition limits are perfect the way they are (who is really going to carry 3+ clips for a rifle?).
I can carry 3 loaded AK mags in my cargo pants easily.
And if I was ever fighting zombies I'd try to carry as much ammo as possible.

Besides, its easier to carry a rifle and 3 mags than 12 lead pipes.

That said, I haven't even gotten to the point where I got a gun in the game yet, because I've mostly been dicking around in the overworld/modding, but if the community feels that it is a game breaking change, it will probably be altered in some way by the beta/full release.

Also, I don't even think I actually got around to disabling the weapon and health on the HUD, but with all the negative feedback regarding it, I probably wont.
S3anyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island