Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Pyro

Old 09-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
lostprophetpunk

Degreaser vs Backburner

Heya there, just to note I am a premium player...not just a f2p user.

Today when playing in a server...I came across a cocky little teen player. As I had found the backburner in game I decided to use it. After looking up the stats for the degreaser compared to the backburner...I decided the backburner was a better option.

However...this little kid decided that just because he has the degreaser he is better than everyone else, and that everyone else who doesn't use the degreaser is a pretty shocking pyro.

I don't have the degreaser at all, as I have yet to find it through a drop. I don't want to buy the weapon at all as I have only spent like 50p to upgrade to premium...and that's all I want to do.

I am growing tired of people who think they are better than everyone else. Sure I may not be a great player...as I have only had TF2 since it went free to play.

What is the better weapon?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Gearz

It's all about your pyro tactics, personaly I use the original Flamethrower (well the strange one)
Gearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
gf1024

There is no better weapon. There's always a situation where you wish you'd have something else equipped.

I prefer the Backburner usually, but I prefer the Degreaser on maps with hazards such as Nucleus, Sawmill or Hightower.
gf1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Olimar

If you're a good shot with your Shotgun, go for the Degreaser.

If you prefer ambushing people, go for the Backburner.
Olimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
jenskaj1

Banned
Backburner is shunned due to less airblast useage and w+m1 gameplay. the degreaser or the default flamethrower can push back ubers, reflect projectiles and put out fires. the degreaser is the best weapon of choice for most people due to fast weapon switching with the flaregun and the axtinguisher.
jenskaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
lostprophetpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1024 View Post
There is no better weapon. There's always a situation where you wish you'd have something else equipped.
That is what I tried to tell him. The kid wouldn't listen though and insisted he was better. Everytime I was like "I don't give two hoots".

EDIT: I know the backburner can extinguish fires, but at the cost of alot of ammo.
lostprophetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
gf1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostprophetpunk View Post
That is what I tried to tell him. The kid wouldn't listen though and insisted he was better. Everytime I was like "I don't give two hoots".

EDIT: I know the backburner can extinguish fires, but at the cost of alot of ammo.
Some people are immune to reason. Best thing we can do is ignore.
gf1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
CombustibleLemn

Just ignore these kids and move on. Be thankful it's not as bad as COD.
CombustibleLemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
BaconCat

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostprophetpunk View Post
I don't have the degreaser at all, as I have yet to find it through a drop. I don't want to buy the weapon at all as I have only spent like 50p to upgrade to premium...and that's all I want to do.
It's people like you who ruin the game, you know that?
BaconCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
magnadrak

Degreaser is the best overall. AB costs the same as the Flamethrower, loss of damage from afterburn is negligible, and quickswitch is a dream come true for most puff n' stingers and shotgun wizards. Being able to quickly utilize your secondary/melee slot often give skilled Pyros the advantage over their counterparts.

Backburner has a niche. It does more damage than the other two primaries and has guaranteed back crits (guaranteed if they hit that magical angle..). The Backburner is for Pyros that want to get kills with their primary. Though many will disagree, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. However, Backburner does have an exorbitant AB cost which makes it rubbish for defense, extinguishing burning players, etc.

Flamethrower... uh... it's the default weapon?

Last edited by magnadrak: 09-11-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
Not-a-Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimar View Post
If you're a good shot with your Shotgun, go for the Degreaser.

If you prefer ambushing people, go for the Backburner.
What if I fancy myself a crack shot with the Shotgun, and enjoy going behind people for delicious rage inducing crits?

On topic though: People who have such inflated egos usually bruise said egos easily too. So I'm sure any time he's killed by a Backburner Pyro he gets enough butthurt to power his computer.
Not-a-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
Olimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not-a-Scout View Post
What if I fancy myself a crack shot with the Shotgun, and enjoy going behind people for delicious rage inducing crits?

On topic though: People who have such inflated egos usually bruise said egos easily too. So I'm sure any time he's killed by a Backburner Pyro he gets enough butthurt to power his computer.
Then you'll have to "suffer" from slower weapon switch. Personally, I don't think the back-crits add that much to the Pyro's potential, so I just stick with the fast weapon switch.
Olimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #13
TheSentryIsaSpy

Personally I prefer the Degreaser, I use my Flare Gun and Melee a lot, I rarely get kills from blazing enemies. Typically I use my primary to reflect rockets and get in people into a position where they are easy to kill.

And don't worry about the kid, he's probably not that good if he's bragging about it. I firmly believe actions speak louder than words. Hence why I don't say I'm going to do something, I just do it and go about my business.
TheSentryIsaSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
cureforhumanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimar View Post
Then you'll have to "suffer" from slower weapon switch. Personally, I don't think the back-crits add that much to the Pyro's potential, so I just stick with the fast weapon switch.
Depends on who you are playing against. Against not very good people the backburner is brutal because it's easy to sneak up behind people that aren't paying attention. Against the majority of average or better people... you're less likely to get the chance.
cureforhumanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #15
milesprower

The Backburner is a good choice if you are planning to walk forward and hold down attack to get your kills.

The Degreaser is a good choice if you know how to use your other weapons.
milesprower is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Pyro