Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island

Old 09-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
jonaswashe

Camera bob fix: Not working

Edit: This stopped working for some reason. I'm changing the name until I track down what's going on to avoid further confusion.

Place varlist_dof.scr in the my documents\dead island\out\data\scripts folder and change the dof values to a lower number or zero.

Default file:

VarFloat("f_dof_strength_factor", 0.0)
VarFloat("f_dof_near_strength", 0.0)
VarFloat("f_dof_near_offset", 0.0)
VarFloat("f_dof_near_range", 900.0)
VarFloat("f_dof_distance", 1000.0)
VarFloat("f_dof_far_offset", 0.0)
VarFloat("f_dof_far_range", 18000.0)
VarFloat("f_dof_far_strength", 1.0)

Play with these settings so we can figure out what each does and find a light setting for those who still want the effect but not as intense.

Edit: Removed the bokeh options to avoid confusion as they have nothing to do with the camera wobble while moving

NOTE: This does not effect the shake caused by damage, explosions, or alcohol, those are located in a different file and I've yet to eliminate them yet. See here

Last edited by jonaswashe: 09-14-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
S3anyBoy

I don't think the bokeh settings have anything to do with the motion bob (I may be wrong here)
but when I was working on my mod I looked up bokeh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh and it probably has more to do with depth-of-field blur than camera shaking/bobbing.

Also, when editing video settings, you don't have to completely shut down the game, you just have to back out to the menu, edit your files, and then continue/start new game.
It can save a lot of time waiting for the engine to load when you're changing variables one at a time.

Good luck.
S3anyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
jonaswashe

Thanks for the tip.
jonaswashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
oldbrokenlink

wow this is great added it to the list of fixes/tweaks/mods

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2106453
oldbrokenlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #5
Haftstrafe

I have downloaded your data ...but does not work

Hi,

thanks for great modding. Now I have tried to install your camera mod - camera sucks and i get headaches -. But i am sorry, because the data does not work. Could you please gibe me further instructions how to install ; what to do. I have copied the data to the "out" folder - but nothing works. Sorry for my english - i am german

Thanks for help
Haftstrafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Spyridon

Tried this, it's not working. Still head bob when walking/running?

I tried both the file you linked and editing all the numbers to 0. Tried in both the Documents/DeadIsland/out/Data/Scripts folder, and the main directory.

Has this worked for anyone?
Spyridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
scubs

this has nothing to do with bobbing. no idea where OP came to the conclusion that these values control bobbing. these values are for DOF (depth of field) which is a totally different thing.
scubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Alderdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haftstrafe View Post
Hi,

thanks for great modding. Now I have tried to install your camera mod - camera sucks and i get headaches -. But i am sorry, because the data does not work. Could you please gibe me further instructions how to install ; what to do. I have copied the data to the "out" folder - but nothing works. Sorry for my english - i am german

Thanks for help
Its not you this does not change head bobbing. It should not be posted under this title.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
vizionblind

lol this doesnt fix head bobbing
vizionblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
jonaswashe

I know dof stands for depth of field. Here's the weird thing. It actually worked on more than one computer, it fixed the head bobbing issue. I tested it multiple times. There was no bobbing, the character felt like it was floating across the ground. Problem is, when I try to recreate it again, it's not working. I'm changing the name of the post for now, until I track down what happened.
jonaswashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Boge

So, any luck on this?
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
Davis1986

Hello guys,

I was just wondering, i LOVE this game but i cannot really play it longer then 30 minutes or i get severe dizzyness from motion sickness. Last time it lasted 3 hours and messed up my entire day.

Everything you do in this game has camera sway, when you walk, run, open doors or hitting zombies.

I hope someone can come up with a fix for this exaggerated head bob/ sway problem because that would make me being able to play the game without worries

If not... well its waiting for Skyrim time...
Old 09-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Hamsalad

Banned
Doesn't "fix" imply something is broken?
Hamsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
Davis1986

Yes it does, and i agree it's not broken. However if a tweak will make it so that i can play and enjoy this game better then im happy

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island