Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 09-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
horacex

Question ERROR: Failed to remove file "SteamUI_1675.pkg", errno

Help.

I just got a new computer. Win 7 Pro x64.

I installed steam. When I start the client I get "Updating Steam Platform" and the progress bar goes to 100%. Then I get:

ERROR: Failed to remove file "SteamUI_1675.pkg", errno

http://i56.tinypic.com/15s6g54.jpg

I've uninstalled / reinstalled, and tried running the client as administrator. Same result.

Thanks

Old 09-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Havoc_53

The only thing I can think of is for you to right click on the Steam desktop icon and select properties. Under the 'general' tab, make sure that the box marked read only is unchecked.
Havoc_53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Maledict21

After getting that error message, exit Steam, navigate to the Steam installation folder and delete the "SteamUI_1675.pkg" file manually if it exists. Then try launching Steam again.

Also, it appears that the error code is getting cut off on the message dialog. You may want to check the log files in the Steam directory to see if they contain the full error message. If the error code is a regular Win32 error getting returned from a filesystem operation, it might tell us why it can't remove the file (eg. Access denied, etc.).
Maledict21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
horacex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledict21 View Post
After getting that error message, exit Steam, navigate to the Steam installation folder and delete the "SteamUI_1675.pkg" file manually if it exists. Then try launching Steam again.

Also, it appears that the error code is getting cut off on the message dialog. You may want to check the log files in the Steam directory to see if they contain the full error message. If the error code is a regular Win32 error getting returned from a filesystem operation, it might tell us why it can't remove the file (eg. Access denied, etc.).
Can you tell me where the .pkg would be? Also, there aren't any log files in \program files (x86)\Steam. Each time steam.exe runs it creates clientregistry.blob and a .mdmp file.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Maledict21

Quote:
Originally Posted by horacex View Post
Can you tell me where the .pkg would be? Also, there aren't any log files in \program files (x86)\Steam. Each time steam.exe runs it creates clientregistry.blob and a .mdmp file.
I was hoping it would be in the Steam installation folder. Are "Steam.exe", "clientregistry.blob", and the minidump file the only files/folders in "\Program Files (x86)\Steam\"? I guess it's pretty difficult to remove something that doesn't even exist.

Try running Steam in Safe Mode with networking and see what happens. Reboot your computer and repeatedly press the F8 key before the Windows logo appears. Then select Safe Mode with networking from the list of options. I would temporarily disable any security software you may be running as well as it could be interfering.
Maledict21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
horacex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledict21 View Post
Try running Steam in Safe Mode with networking and see what happens.
Same result.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
zepher57

Any updates

I have the same issue with my new windows 7 home premium
Old 02-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Infernal_Satan

same here, but it was working flawlessly in the past year until now
Infernal_Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips