Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)

Old 12-22-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
Falconoffury

Unhappy Need help with map dropdown and map cycle

I start SourceS, choose half-life 2 deathmatch and all my other options. I can't change the map from dm_lockdown. The dropdown list is locked down (no pun intended). It won't open. So I start the server anyway.

I figure there is an option to edit the map cycle, so I can solve my problem that way... Nope! The only maps in there are dm_lockdown and dm_overwatch.

I have tons of maps in my maps folder for HL2DM.

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\username\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\maps

So why can't they be put into my cycle?

Old 12-23-2004, 10:55 AM   #2
kctay

Nobody here will or can answer this question, it's been asked over and over, I have the same problem.

I just use the console and type:

changelevel dm_overlook

or whatever the map may be.

Valve has serious problems with this DS. I get error messages all over the place in the console when the server changes maps. However, the server seems to work fine.

Oh, also make sure all of your map names are in the mapcycle.txt, and maplist.txt files.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:47 PM   #3
Falconoffury

Maplist.txt and mapcycle.txt I found in a cstrike folder, but it has only counterstrike maps listed. How do I do this for Half-life 2 deathmatch?

Thanks for the reply, but you basically are saying that Source DS is fubared right now, right?
Old 12-24-2004, 12:53 PM   #4
kctay

CS maps? Aren't you running an HL2 server?

It sounds like you downloaded the wrong files, the ones for CS.

Did you by any chance use Lady's tutorial to download your dedicated server files? If so, that tutorial is for CS, not for HL2.

But, you can use it and just change the game name when you are downloading the server files in the DOS window.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
Falconoffury

I am a Half-Life 2 owner and I am trying to use Source DS in the steam window, not the standalone server. I assumed that any updates were automatically downloaded when I downloaded Source DS. What else do I need to download?
Old 12-26-2004, 05:38 AM   #6
Falconoffury

Unhappy

Please help me.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:53 PM   #7
Falconoffury

bump
Old 12-27-2004, 08:14 PM   #8
KayEssCiv

It looks like the GUI interface doesn't really manage the configuration files very well.

In 'source dedicated server\hl2mp' there are two files (and if there aren't you should make them) called 'maplist.txt' and 'mapcycle.txt' - put the name of the maps in there.

It seems that there should be one map per line and don't put the .bsp extension on them.

My maplist.txt contains this:
Quote:
dm_lockdown
dm_overwatch
dm_powcamp
dm_pyramid
And my mapcycle.txt contains this:
Quote:
dm_powcamp
dm_pyramic
Maybe that will work for you
Old 01-05-2005, 10:05 AM   #9
Xeno555

I think you should start out by putting your maps in the correct directory. HL2DM would be:

X:\Games\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\xxxxxxx\source dedicated server\hl2mp\maps

X
Old 01-05-2005, 10:58 AM   #10
kctay

No, that's the wrong directory when you are running a stand alone dedicated server that you haven't installed the full Halflife2 on.

C: HL2MP
Old 01-05-2005, 10:59 AM   #11
KayEssCiv

Quote:
Originally posted by Xeno555
I think you should start out by putting your maps in the correct directory. HL2DM would be:

X:\Games\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\xxxxxxx\source dedicated server\hl2mp\maps

X
It's a good point, but that's only the path if you use the Steam Dedicated Server from the Steam system tray application (replaces Xs with your Steam user name).

If you're using the HldsUpdateTool.EXE to create your server then it can be in some other path - if you've got that far with the tool then you know the path already (and you'll see the two standard maps anyway).

The version that is run from the system tray seems to use your GCF files so it's harder to work out what path you need. In that case you should go with the path Xeno555 gave above.

Edit: Crosspost...
Old 01-05-2005, 11:05 AM   #12
kctay

I think his problem is in the downloading, using the HldsUpdateTool.EXE.

I think perhaps he followed the guide that is posted here that is for CS, not HL2. Hence, he downloaded the CS files, not the HL2 files.

It's much easier when using the HldsUpdateTool.EXE to download, or update to have a simple directory to download to as well (especially if you haven't created an update .bat file), much less typing to use C:hl2mp.

If I were you, I would wipe out what you have, and make sure what you are downloading is "hl2dm" , not Counterstrike.

Like I said, if you followed Lady's guide, you will end up with Counter Strike files unless you change one step.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:10 AM   #13
KayEssCiv

I have the HL2DM files and the GUI (obtained with the download tool) still didn't manage to work out the correct maps etc.

Once I hand edited the files (as above) it was fine (although the startup part of the GUI still wasn't right - but at least it didn't 'correct' the two files and blow up the main program).
Old 01-05-2005, 11:53 AM   #14
kctay

Interesting, once I added the maps I wanted rotated to the two files, I haven't had any problems.

You have problems with the GUI as well?
Old 01-06-2005, 12:28 PM   #15
Falconoffury

I don't need any more help for now. I put copies of my map in the folder Xeno555 said. I created my mapcycle and maplist files. Then I had to create a server.cfg. I have to start my server with dm_lockdown because that stupid drop down list won't work, but I can change the map after the server starts. I don't understand why such an obvious bug hasn't been addressed by Valve yet.

I also get errors in the console just from changing the map. And I get more errors as the server runs and players fight. The lag is also pretty bad at times.

For those still confused, I'm not running stand alone server. I'm running the Source DS on a computer with a full half-life 2 installation. I only wish the GUI could handle everything better so I don't have to manually create so many files. I also would like less lag.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)