Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Doom series

Old 09-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
lukeman3000

[TUT] Bring Doom 3 Into The Next Generation With These Mods (Updated 10/23/12)

Quote:
UPDATE!

As of today (10/23/2012), I updated this guide to include several new features. The most notable of which are Wulfen's 2.0 texture pack as well as 6th Venom's HQ mainmenu, which makes the Doom 3 menu screens look fantastic.

Enjoy!
I've been tweaking Doom 3 recently and playing around with some mods, and I wanted to show the difference with and without them. It's pretty substantial. I know many may think D3 is outdated (and it is), but it's still a fun game, and these mods breathe new life into it.

Mods Used:

+ sikkmod v1.2
- HDR
- DOF
- POM (as included with sikkmod v1.2)
- Soft Shadows

+ monoxead's high-res texture pack
+ wulfen's high-res texture pack v2.0
+ 6th Venom's Doom 3 HQ mainmenu

Screenshots:

screenshot 1 (no mods)
screenshot 1 (mods)

Use tab switching to see the difference. HDR and the texture packs make a big difference, but POM is what really adds the finishing touch. The way that the textures actually have dimension is not from the texture packs, but by using POM (parallax occlusion mapping). It's actually quite impressive, but somewhat of a resource hog. In fact, Doom 3 is one of the most taxing pc games I own, post-mods that is. Moreso than Crysis, even.

**Just to clarify, I in no way take credit for these mods! Sikkmod is created by sikkpin (of the doom3world.org boards), and the texture packs are created by monoxead and wulfen respectively. I only implemented their mods for my own personal use.

Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tutorial (by request)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are lots of Doom 3 mods out there and many of which I haven't tried, but I like to play the game like it was originally meant to be played, as much as possible. These mods will not alter gameplay (perhaps only slightly), but they will make the game look a heck of a lot better. If you want to get your version of D3 looking like mine, here is what you do:

Quote:
Easy Mode (quick install)
Note: Easy Mode comes with a pre-configured version of sikkmod which uses my personal config settings. It is also configured for 1920x1080 monitors, but this can be changed either in-game, or within DoomConfig.cfg as seen further down.

1. Download the all-in-one sikkmod folder

2. Download the wulfen 2.0 and monoxead texture packs:

Wulfen 2.0

monoxead

3. Extract the sikkmod folder into your Doom 3 directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\doom 3
(This is assuming that you bought Doom 3 on steam. If not, your path will look slightly different)

4. Move wulfen 2.0.pk4 into sikkmod directory followed by monoxead.pk4 into your sikkmod directory and choose to overwrite any conflicts if there are any:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\doom 3\sikkmod

5. Finally, go into steam, right-click Doom 3, properties, then "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS". Copy and paste the following:

+set fs_game sikkmod

Quote:
Hard Mode (advanced/manual install)
Quote:
What to Download
1. sikkmod v1.2

2. Download the wulfen 2.0+monoxead texture pack:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

3. 6th Venom's Doom 3 HQ mainmenu (with Sikkmod options)

4. Trent Reznor's sound pack (optional)

The order in which you will install these is the order that you downloaded them in above.

Quote:
Installation
IMPORTANT: BACKUP YOUR DOOM 3 FOLDER BEFORE YOU START INSTALLING MODS

1. Open the first file (2011_09_03_sikkmod_v1.2-D3.rar) and extract the sikkmod folder into the base of your Doom 3 folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\doom 3
(This is assuming that you bought Doom 3 on steam. If not, your path will look slightly different)

Note: If you want to use POM (Parallax Occlusion Mapping), copy the files "interaction.vfp" and "test.vfp" from the sikkmod\glprogs\POM folder into the base of the glprogs folder (i.e sikkmod\glprogs). If you don't know, POM is what makes the textures "pop", and actually become dimensional instead of being flat. It makes it look great but it does take a hit on the frame-rate.

2. Drag-and-drop wulfen 2.0+monoxead.pk4 into the "sikkmod" folder:

3. Drag-and-drop "Venom.pk4" into the sikkmod folder:

4. Open trentreznorsounds.zip and extract "pak005.pk4" to the base of your sikkmod folder (the same place you put materials, models, and textures):

5. Finally, go into steam, right-click Doom 3, properties, then "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS". Copy and paste the following:

+set fs_game sikkmod

(If you don't have steam, you should be able to add this at the end of your Doom 3 shortcut.)

Doing this will tell Doom 3 to start with sikkmod, the high-res textures, and the sound pack enabled. If you don't wish for Doom 3 to automatically start this way, you can simply select "sikkmod" from the mod menu within Doom 3.

Once you start up sikkmod, you will notice that you have "sikkmod options" at the bottom of the menu screen.

WARNING: I have a pretty powerful computer and I have the settings turned up relatively high. If your frame-rate is terrible, try disabling depth of field first, and if it's still bad, disable POM by deleting "interaction.vfp" and "test.vfp" out of \sikkmod\glprogs. They should still be in the POM folder (don't delete them there), but if they're not in glprogs then they're (POM is) not active.

Quote:
Config File
DoomConfig.cfg (located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\doom 3\sikkmod\DoomConfig.cfg) will have to be edited to some degree. Basically, you need to change a couple options to enable the high-res textures, and you may need to set a custom resolution.

1. To enable the high-res textures, make sure that these parameters are set as follows in DoomConfig.cfg:

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "0"
seta image_useNormalCompression "0"
seta image_useAllFormats "1"
seta image_useCompression "0"
seta image_preload "1"
seta image_roundDown "0"
seta image_forceDownSize "0"
seta image_downSize "0"

2. To set a custom resolution:

Find these lines:

seta r_customHeight "xxxx"
seta r_customWidth "xxxx"

Change the x's to set your resolution. Now find this line:

seta r_mode "x"

Change the "x" to "-1".

Find this line:

seta r_aspectRatio "x"

If your screen aspect ratio is 16:9, change the "x" to "1".
If your screen aspect ratio is 16:10 or 15:9, change the "x" to "2".

Also, in addition to tweaking the config file, you will need to tweak the actual sikkmod settings once you're in-game. The sheer number of settings can be overwhelming at first, but your best bet is to play with each individual setting and find what you like best.

However, if you would like to use my settings instead of tweaking it yourself, simply download my config file here and overwrite the one in the base of your sikkmod folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\doom 3\sikkmod\DoomConfig.cfg

I am running the game at 1920x1080, 16:9 aspect ratio, fyi. If you have a different resolution and/or aspect ratio, you can just download my config file and edit it accordingly.

Quote:
Additional Notes
-If you have an ATI Radeon graphics card, disabling Catalyst A.I. can solve many problems that you may encounter.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by lukeman3000: 01-27-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
Ghostbreed

Banned
Stick this thread! <3
Ghostbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
phr33ky

Links are broken, please fix ! =)
phr33ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
lukeman3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr33ky View Post
Links are broken, please fix ! =)
Only the link for sikkmod v1.2 was broken, not sure why. Fixed.

Edit: Apparently, sikkpin updated the file that I had linked to. He said that it's his last release for now, so it should be good to go.

Last edited by lukeman3000: 09-21-2011 at 07:45 PM.
lukeman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
wildfire678

Asked in the other thread, I'll echo here.

Can some Mod make this a sticky please.
wildfire678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Ghostbreed

Banned
Man, D3 looks so much better now. I liked it before sure, but now I love it. It feels like I can touch the textures...
Old 09-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Lasiurus

@ lukeman

hey, I don't want to kidnap your thread or anything, but I have a technical question regarding this combination of mods.

I downloaded niukniuk's modpack, which basically integrates all the graphic mod mentioned in this thread. The only difference is it takes all sikkmod's gameplay values to vanilla. But that's besides the point.

The thing is, its working great, with one tiny exception. there seems to be a slight glitch in some textures. Specifically, the wall signs. The ones that read things like, for example, "medical lab" (with an arrow pointing to where the medical lab is). This "signs" blink, and by blink I mean disapear and instantly reapear, when I pass right next to them. If I stay still they remain, but if I move while looking at them they glitch like that.

Anyone knows what it may be?

I realize it's nitpicky, but when the game looks this good, something tiny like that is very immersion breaking.
Lasiurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
Ghostbreed

Banned
Lasiurus: I think I know why.. Try decreasing Antialias or just disable it.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Lasiurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbreed View Post
Lasiurus: I think I know why.. Try decreasing Antialias or just disable it.
Tried, no luck. I'm asuming you meant disabling it from the in game options menu right?
Old 09-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Ghostbreed

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasiurus View Post
Tried, no luck. I'm asuming you meant disabling it from the in game options menu right?
I did. Too bad then
Old 09-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
Ghostbreed

Banned
@OP: What's different in your cfg apart from the original besides custom resolutions and texture enabling?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #12
lukeman3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasiurus View Post
@ lukeman

hey, I don't want to kidnap your thread or anything, but I have a technical question regarding this combination of mods.

I downloaded niukniuk's modpack, which basically integrates all the graphic mod mentioned in this thread. The only difference is it takes all sikkmod's gameplay values to vanilla. But that's besides the point.

The thing is, its working great, with one tiny exception. there seems to be a slight glitch in some textures. Specifically, the wall signs. The ones that read things like, for example, "medical lab" (with an arrow pointing to where the medical lab is). This "signs" blink, and by blink I mean disapear and instantly reapear, when I pass right next to them. If I stay still they remain, but if I move while looking at them they glitch like that.

Anyone knows what it may be?

I realize it's nitpicky, but when the game looks this good, something tiny like that is very immersion breaking.
I actually get the same thing when I play, so it's probably nothing that we're doing wrong. Are you playing with POM enabled? I was wondering if it was a byproduct of that, but I haven't tried disabling yet so I don't know if that's the case or not.

@ghostbreed - There isn't much that is "special" about my config file. Mainly, it's just settings that look good to me. I think I have DOF enabled on every thing but reload, HDR is on, and a couple other things but that's about it. I leave soft shadows off when I play because it really makes the frame-rate tank. Other than that, the only difference are the individual values that I have set for HDR and the like.

Last edited by lukeman3000: 09-25-2011 at 11:43 PM.
lukeman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
Omphofo-Bravo

Very nice. I'll keep this in mind when I decide to give the game another run.
Omphofo-Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
Ghostbreed

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman3000 View Post
@ghostbreed - There isn't much that is "special" about my config file. Mainly, it's just settings that look good to me. I think I have DOF enabled on every thing but reload, HDR is on, and a couple other things but that's about it. I leave soft shadows off when I play because it really makes the frame-rate tank. Other than that, the only difference are the individual values that I have set for HDR and the like.
I'm getting weird graphics issues with POM btw, kinda like white noise on some surfaces. Also, same errors that Lasiurus and you gets also affecting me. Removing the POM files solves the "white noise" (unsure about the blink tho) but leaves everything flat Oh well, the new textures looks so good anyway

Last edited by Ghostbreed: 09-26-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #15
Lasiurus

You'll have to forgive my ignorance in the subject, I'm not sure what POM is; what would I have to do to turn it off or eliminate it?

I'll give it a try, but I'm not sure how.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Doom series