Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Men of War series

Old 09-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Warthog11112

What i Think Went Wrong With Vietnam

Assault squad is without a doubt my favorite game of all time, so i bought Vietnam having full confidence in the series. I found myself frustrated and bored almost immediately though and feel its a step back in the series, here's why:

-Small battles; I find this to be very frustrating losing just one guy often means having to reload. Also to win with just 4 guys against 50 often times i find myself not using tactics but exploiting the AI's stupidness.

-Too many trees and other green things; I know you can highlight your men but even still the trees always seem to get in the way and it involves a lot of camera turning to see whats going on.

-No cover; MOW has an amazing cover system, too bad their is virtually no cover implemented in the game.

-Dumb Key binding; Whoever binded the default keys must have 3 hands as it makes no logical sense.

-Still no tutorial; Assault squad lacked this as well but at least the skirmish setting in it was a bit more forgiving to new players. Here it seems the goal is to practically drive away new players.

-$5 DLC for mutiplayer; An inexpensive DLC compared to many other games, but by dividing up the already small community of MOW players this basically insured the quick death of multiplayer (already lobby seems deserted). Also for my personal experience i bought the DLC and cant seem to join 90% of the games as i have a different version appearently (this problem has also been expressed in the IGN review of Vietnam).

-Known Problems wern't fixed; Such as pathing, and ai intelligence to name a few.

In Conclusion what MOW Vietnam tried to do was create a realistic Vietnam small squad war game using an engine built for large scale WW2 battles and it just doesn't work.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
loktar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog11112 View Post
I find myself not using tactics but exploiting the AI's stupidness.
I find myself defending the game alot lately.. but after reading that, it made me realize thats what Im doing generally :?

Regardless I still enjoy the game but I understand exactly what you mean.
loktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
chucky_m

Yup sounds about right, I would add one more major mistake in this game though, they released it....
chucky_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
Atomic Hamster

Quote:
-Too many trees and other green things
Hmmm, too many trees in the jungle...

I have not bought this and will not as the Vietnam theatre does not translate well for RTS games. It took place in jungles with mainly skirmishes and small engagements and very few large battles due to the nature of the guerilla fighting.
Atomic Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
giuseppe443

Quote:
-Small battles; I find this to be very frustrating losing just one guy often means having to reload.
this is what i call back to Faces of war. FoW had the best missions. OF THE SAGA
giuseppe443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
Gir554

Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppe443 View Post
this is what i call back to Faces of war. FoW had the best missions. OF THE SAGA
Better than MoW:AS atleast,these skirmish missions annoy me,I like having a handful of units handed to me then being sent on my merry way(plus FoW had a tutorial )
Gir554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
SammyBoiFTW

Quote:
Assault squad is without a doubt my favorite game of all time, so i bought Vietnam having full confidence in the series. I found myself frustrated and bored almost immediately though and feel its a step back in the series, here's why:

-Small battles; I find this to be very frustrating losing just one guy often means having to reload. Also to win with just 4 guys against 50 often times i find myself not using tactics but exploiting the AI's stupidness.

-Too many trees and other green things; I know you can highlight your men but even still the trees always seem to get in the way and it involves a lot of camera turning to see whats going on.

-No cover; MOW has an amazing cover system, too bad their is virtually no cover implemented in the game.

-Dumb Key binding; Whoever binded the default keys must have 3 hands as it makes no logical sense.

-Still no tutorial; Assault squad lacked this as well but at least the skirmish setting in it was a bit more forgiving to new players. Here it seems the goal is to practically drive away new players.

-$5 DLC for mutiplayer; An inexpensive DLC compared to many other games, but by dividing up the already small community of MOW players this basically insured the quick death of multiplayer (already lobby seems deserted). Also for my personal experience i bought the DLC and cant seem to join 90% of the games as i have a different version appearently (this problem has also been expressed in the IGN review of Vietnam).

-Known Problems wern't fixed; Such as pathing, and ai intelligence to name a few.

In Conclusion what MOW Vietnam tried to do was create a realistic Vietnam small squad war game using an engine built for large scale WW2 battles and it just doesn't work.
I agree with everything you say... except with the part about the lack of cover and the (over)abundance of trees. I find that I can take cover just about anywhere, as each and every single bush, wall or ledge (well, nearly every single bush or ledge) provides cover to me. As for the spamming of trees, welcome to 'Nam
SammyBoiFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
nca92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyBoiFTW View Post
I agree with everything you say... except with the part about the lack of cover and the (over)abundance of trees. I find that I can take cover just about anywhere, as each and every single bush, wall or ledge (well, nearly every single bush or ledge) provides cover to me. As for the spamming of trees, welcome to 'Nam
But the bushes helps you to hide. But it doesn's protect you from bullets.
nca92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
Threshold10

I don't agree at all. Vietnam was good game, it has flaws but there is no point to compare it to Assault squad. Even through they have the general elements of a men of war game, they are different.

Vietnam has a lack of variety that the older games had. Very few weapons, vehicles, no direct control for choppers in missions, very few missions. I think if they improved on that it would have been a great game, while the current one feels more like a mod then a full game.
Threshold10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Men of War series