Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island

Old 09-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
Pheonix Wright

LOD mode?

is there one yet? I put off playing this game because I can't stand the pop in everywhere(well that and the horrendous amount of bugs but I would assume those have been patched by now)....
Old 09-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Odins Raven

What's LOD mode?
Odins Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
Pheonix Wright

Level of Detail...it's what makes things less detailed as they get further away or outright disappear in badly designed games....
Pheonix Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Maxunit

Sadly there is no mod right now from the community, which fixes the LOD. Already confronted #deadislandgame on twitter with the Dead Island showoff from their Chrome Engine 5 Reel, which advertises a totally different level of graphics. The Demo Reel video shows no single popup anywhere and generally better looking graphics and shaders....durr...
Maxunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
firestonex

I am doing the same thing.. I can't stand the draw distance/ texture pop-in..

I haven't played in 3 days.. holding off on a fix.
firestonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
cemmillia

every game limits LOD in some form. if they didn't your graphics card would blow up and you'd get 2 FPS.

Common methods are:
Fog or "Haze" - this is like by-the-book old as dirt method of limiting LOD.

Buildings - a building obscures your view, well you're not rendering anything that you can't see, that'd waste graphics card power. Of course, the player will never know that...

Detail of models - close up objects receive high quality textures, as things get further away you use less detailed textures. Saves the GPU a lot of work.

an out of reach wall - This is actually pretty clever. You know that island off in the distance across the water at the Resort? Yeah, that's most likely a wall with a picture on it to look like there's actually models over there. You know what happens if there isn't a wall and you can see outside the world? Well, the screen doesn't refresh, so you can basically paint with the textures. yeah, it's nasty. That sky you see? That's a picture too. the clouds moving? the picture's just being moved a bit.

I don't know why I typed all this out but thurrs some programmer's knowledge I guess..

...there's probably a LOT more.. optomization of GPU space is very important, better code means lower specifications as well as faster frame rate. if any code needs to be optomized, it's the render code.
cemmillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
firestonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemmillia View Post
every game limits LOD in some form. if they didn't your graphics card would blow up and you'd get 2 FPS.

Common methods are:

Buildings - a building obscures your view, well you're not rendering anything that you can't see, that'd waste graphics card power. Of course, the player will never know that...

Detail of models - close up objects receive high quality textures, as things get further away you use less detailed textures. Saves the GPU a lot of work.

an out of reach wall - This is actually pretty clever. You know that island off in the distance across the water at the Resort? Yeah, that's most likely a wall with a picture on it to look like there's actually models over there. You know what happens if there isn't a wall and you can see outside the world? Well, the screen doesn't refresh, so you can basically paint with the textures. yeah, it's nasty. That sky you see? That's a picture too. the clouds moving? the picture's just being moved a bit.

I don't know why I typed all this out but thurrs some programmer's knowledge I guess..

...there's probably a LOT more.. optomization of GPU space is very important, better code means lower specifications as well as faster frame rate. if any code needs to be optomized, it's the render code.
Ya I know all games have a draw distance, but the draw distance/popin texture distance and shadow rendering in this game is HORRIBLE!!! Check out a few examples..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF4bTJezSTQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGS7kI5I0GU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUU8EO1qqo

When I am getting weapons that won't show up unless you are 10-15 feet or so in front of me,and then pop up out of no where, then there is something seriously wrong...

Those video's are not even mine, so I know I'm not the only one...

And I have a high end gaming pc.

Last edited by firestonex: 09-19-2011 at 01:16 PM.
firestonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
Pheonix Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemmillia View Post

Common methods are:

And the point of explaining this is? I am fully aware of why LOD exist and draw distance etc. but his game is horrendous with it especially since I'm getting over 300fps it would be nice to see further than 5ft in front of my face...
Pheonix Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
Mister.D

MaterialQuality(0)
FXQuality(3)
FXFadeLevel(0)

These 3 settings seemed to help a bit, maybe not for prop LOD's but they increased the draw distance for shadows and lighting, better than nothing I guess. which is what we're getting from Techland and DeepSilver.
Mister.D is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island