Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Linux)

Old 12-22-2004, 11:03 PM   #1
Vadakill

Comprehensive HL2MP Linux Setup Guide

I'm not new to running HL dedicated servers but like many Ops here I had a hard time figuring out the nuances between the old system and the new. Much information is scattered and often times incomplete and ultimately up to the individual Op figure out what is what.

I've put together a new guide aimed specifically at setting up and running a HL2MP (DM) server. It covers everything from setting up a user account for the process, modifying the server.cfg file and finally setting it up to run in a screen session.

I've been writing newbie guides for HL dedicated servers since 2002, hopefully some people will find this useful. Feel free to make suggestions. Also, in the near future I plan on writing an advanced configuration guide covering html motd's, automatic logfile archiving and more.

Enjoy!

http://www.vadakill.com/nsguides

Old 12-24-2004, 08:09 AM   #2
rh_fang

This is superb! I wish I had something like this two weeks ago. Thanks for taking the time to type this up.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:59 AM   #3
Arkaine101

Wheeeee! *Bump*
Old 01-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
cgehring

Very nice... one of the best I have seen.... STICKY!!!!!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:08 PM   #5
Arkaine101

Quote:
Originally posted by cgehring
Very nice... one of the best I have seen.... STICKY!!!!!
Isn't it the best?

*cough*
No, of course not, Mr. Moderator, this reply isn't just a cheezy excuse to bump it again.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
Vadakill

This is a bump to help out those new people to the forums. Please check it out.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:26 AM   #7
Tweak22

Does HZ 100 help all game servers? Even source or just NS?

What does it really do? Increase your systems ticrate? Can you still run high fps servers or does it cap at 100?

It uses less cpu usage but will server lag and such?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:40 PM   #8
Vadakill

I assume you are talking about the Kernel compile guide. Let me give you a quick idea of what the Hz setting does in a kernel.

The HZ setting increases the interactivity of the server. Basically the amount of times per second the Kernel is interrupted to do something else. At a HZ=100 setting the Kernel is interrupted every 10ms, at 512 it's approx 2ms and 1000 its every 1ms.

1000Hz is great for responsive desktop environments, not so good for dedicated servers. Having the kernel set at 1000 Hz for something that does not need the real-time computation of a desktop or 3D gaming environment is overkill. You will essentially have 10 times the CPU overhead for little benefit.

Recompiling the kernel with a lower Hz setting lowers the overhead and therefore the CPU usage.

Just so you know, I started noticing this pattern a long time ago right when Redhat 8 and 9 were coming on the market. I was using 7.3 and noticed many people were complaining of massive CPU usage with "newer" linux distros.

The typical 2.4 kernel for redhat 7.3 was 100 Hz. Redhat 8 and 9 used a kernel Hz setting of 512, and when the fedora core series (with the 2.6 kernel) came out it was jammed up at 1000Hz.

Hopefully that's clear.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:54 PM   #9
Tweak22

so the servers MAX fps is 100? becuase its updating 100 times a second correct?
Old 02-11-2005, 01:30 AM   #10
Vadakill

Not sure on that one, I'd have to play with it to find out the difference between theory and reality.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:59 AM   #11
Arkaine101

This seems a little more in-depth than the srcds.com site. I wonder why no one has thought about making it a sticky...or even just adding a link in the Source Dedicated Server Resource thread.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Linux)