Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island

Old 09-20-2011, 04:48 AM   #1
arapisuk

Dawn of Dead Island Mod (DoDI)

Download Link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c7n26b

(don't click on the top download link as it is an advertisement, the link is just below)

Description:

Quote:
The Scope of This Mod

I am really excited to present you Dawn of Dead Island (DoDI) Mod. It makes the game feel more like Stalker in terms of gameplay, meaning that it is stil an RPG but without leveling and with some skills
that you will be allowed to poccess from the start (like being able to stomp a head and not having to wait for 15 levels in order to be able). So it really is up to the player's skill to survive. Also I tried to
tone up the survival aspect of the game and make it from a beat em up zombie to a more survival zombie game.

DoDI Is primarily focused to offer a uniquely different single player campaign with a strong attitude towards immersion and realism (as realistic a game with zombies can be).
It changes the behavior of the Zombies, makes them slow and more stupid, but at the same time dangerous. You can now only kill them by smashing, cutting or damaging their head.
Limbs fly away easily but dont hurt the zombie just incapacitate it. Characters are heavily customised and changed, as well as their skill trees in an attempt to make them seem more fit.

Please read more below and I hope you enjoy DoDI

*This mod is not recomended for your first playthrough. Just play vanila game once so you know what you like and what not.

CHARACTERS & GAMEPLAY

- GENERAL

CHANGES

- Levelling made redundant. This solved many issues like level scaling, guns feeling like water pistols, etc.
- Starting level and Level Cap at 20 for both PC & NPC
- New Classes for the Characters + New Custom Skill Trees which follows the PCs backgrounds better. (Changes are explained in the characters section)
- There are only 2 skill trees with only 4 tiers, Fury has been removed as I find it aesthetically wrong and a bit overpowered at the same time. Also it doesn't fit this mod which looks for more immersion.
Furthermore skills have been changed, in terms of moving them around and what they actually do
Example1. at the survival tree all characters have for their 1st tier to use medkits more effective. This is the only common skill by the way.
example2. At combat tree tier 4 gives you the first stomping ability along with other stats for each player. well I removed all other stats since stomping is already a cheap way to kill zombies
(quick stomping/ jump stomping not available, only the slow one to add to the survival factor)
-Hud Elements and any other Icon that pops on your screen completely removed, bashing doors icon, opening bags icon, picking up items icon, escaping zombies' grab indicators (thanks to Blinkstar, my Guru when it comes to Hud), etc.
Because Health bar is removed in order for player to understand when he is heavily hit I have made the blood effect to kick in a bit earlier so you have a chance to RUN !
(kicks when you fall below the 1/3 of your health and full effect at around 50 hitpoints left)
The only thing that remains is the text on the bottom left corner which I didn't remove so that you know what you picked up (since I removed the pop icons it will not show the amount of money you found in a bag so you really need the text).
- Move When you Carry Items Max/Min Speed Factor changed. Inventory weight limit implemented (30 kg). ( Not so sure whether these 2 work as intended)
- Default throw distance increased to 1000. Varies between characters. ( best is Ninja girl Xian, then the QB Logan,etc)
- Finisher multip decreased to 2 from 4. this means your weapons' damage is 2x when the zombie is on the ground.
- No Health Regen. (this is debatable as I was considering to implement Health Regen up to 40 hitpoints at a slow rate depending if you are running standing or crouching)
- Jump height varies depending on character (still you can make the jumps required)
- The duration the actor is down increased
- usage for many actions increased, regeneration of stamina decreased. Varies per character a bit, so expect Xian (ninja type) and Logan (athlete) to catch their braths quicker.
(and all other consequences from depleted stamina, like unable to attack, run, jump etc)

-LOGAN
Bio:
He is an ex pro rugby player, so it is natural that he is the toughest character and that he is hitting harder than the others.
His stamina pool is good although he quited playing long time ago, but the stamina required to take certain actions is increased
due to his injured knee. He prefers the blunt weapons and is said that he has a drinking prob. He came to be at the Island when he was dumbed by his fiancee. In order not to get
depressed he booked some holidays on the resort to drink away his sorrows...

CHANGES
- Best health
- Moderate stamina + costly usage requirements (due to knee injury)
- Least stamina required to Finish a Zombie
- Best effective at breaking doors
- 5 quickslots
- Inventory size 15

-PURNA
Bio:
Purna has experienced a couple of things in her life that resulted into shaping her to what she is. A survivor First and foremost, as well as a master when it comes to any kind
of blades, From katanas to kitchen Knives. With one of these blades she murdered her former employer...She came to the Island so she can have some time off and stay low...

CHANGES
- Moderate Health
- good stamina + moderate Usage of stamina required
- moderate stamina required to finish a fallen Zombie
- Less effective at breaking doors
- 4 quickslots
- Inventory size 9

-SAM B.
Bio:
Is A big Guy who was raised in a bad neighberhood. In order to survive he had to become at least acquaintance with guns. He is more than your average Joe when comes to guns that is
why he gets a bonus on criticals when using them. Later he saw his luck smiling on him and got a fortune from a song he wrote and performed, "Who Do You VooDoo ?". He came to the Island for a guest appearance
at a VIP club...

CHANGES
- 2nd best health
- Moderate stamina + (more than Purna)moderate Usage of stamina required
- Moderate stamina required to finish a fallen Zombie
- 2nd Best effective at breaking doors
- 4 quickslots
- Inventory size 12

-XIAN
Bio:
Xian was taught Martial arts from a small age. Because of her small body structure she usually prefers to engage enemies from a distance. She is has an excellent cardio, she is a master of disguise,
but if it comes down to mellee she still has some tricks up her sleeves. She prefers to avoid finishing enemies as it takes her more effort, it doesn't mean though that she can't do it.
She has a special throwing technique which makes the weapon that she throws to return to her hands 99/100. No matter what she sais she is on the Island with a reason... a counter spy mission for China...

CHANGES
- Worst health
- excellent stamina + little usage required stamina
- Most stamina required to finish a fallen Zombie
- least effective at breaking doors
- 3 quickslots
- Inventory size 6

ENEMIES

For the Purposes of DoDI Mod each enemy type has its own Bio in order to be more immersive.

-ZOMBIES (Walkers)
BIO: (DoDI Zombies are inspired by my childhood, mainly by Romero's/classic movies and Resident Evil 1)
The Majority of the population of the Island that has been affectd by the "virus" has turned into the normal slow zombies. After infected by the "virus", the patient losses all vital
functions within an hour and dies, Only to rise again after a few seconds as a zombie, an empty vessel of what it used to be once a human being, now with a limited brain fuctionality
and unlimited hunger for human flesh. Consequently it is not fast and can not coordinate his actions prety well, although when it comes near to a human, its hunger drives it to excibit amazing
levels of agility and agression.

changes:
- 2x overal Health
- they only try to grab you and not mellee you (not bright enough to do so...with the only excemption the ones that got hold of a weapon)
- no down time between grab attempts & no invinsibility after they release you.
- tripled the max number of zombies trying to grab you simultaneously (from 4 to 12). Doubled the max attackers. (from 8 to 16)
- Grabing prob doubled.
- Limbs are easier to cut off or damage (arms 3x easier, legs 4x)
- Limbs, Torso, Back do not affect overall health of Zombie (Health influence mult 0.0)
- Head is the only way to kill it. Head damage increased by 75% (it wont take long to cut it/break it. A good weapon/gun may kill it with one strike.)
- WAY slower than vanilla zombies
- More agile when comes to turning or grabbing.
- Can not Counter attack, just push
- tripled the distance it checks for player activity.
- they show interest at 4x longer distances and interest last 4x longer
- Can not climb
- Can not get drown
- Takes less damage from fire but burns twice as long (to simulate that eventually is melting down)
- Can Now stumble on low obstacles or on other zombies.
- they can not throw their weapons, it is already an evolution for their kind to pick up one, to begin with.
- Can not attack Actor inside the car.
- Their interior and exterior vision has been increased, from 600 to 2500 and 1000 to 6000 respectively, which will hopefully lead to more dynamic situations.
- Bite made 5x more damaging so avoid getting bitten cause you may die.

-INFECTED
Bio:
These are Vacationers or natives who for some reason responded differently to the "virus". It is said that they migh have been drug addicts, more specific
drugs that increase the blood pressure ( like coke). This type of patients never actually went through the phase of death after their first contact with the "Virus",
instead a chemical mutation turned them into a Hyperactive, super fast, super agile creature. Downside of this is they lost their minds. Suprisingly Infected can die faster than a
human...that is if you have the time to aim

Changes
- Health Regen ability added (after 2 sec without hitting them, they have a 75% prob to start health regen. so be more aggresive as they die easier now.)
- 2x more stamina in general
- Easier to kill. less health than humans.
- Due to their Hyper nature, when in the water they drown pretty fast.
- Can now finish you and kick you. Can counter attack and push
- Wont fall over ledges and will protect its head from when falling to the ground
- it is Faster, can Jump longer and higher.
- Can drown fast and receives 10 x more damage from fire but for less time.(30 sec to 15)
- it will be interested to you for half the distance and time compared to vanila (downside for being too quick, like Leopald)

SUICIDERS
Bio:
Suiciders is the same case as the Zombies. They are Zombies. The only difference is that when they were alive they suffered from an inflamatory chronic disease.
After their first death and the process of coming back as zombies, their inherited dicease is the cause that they have these blisters all over their bodies. the worst is that
inside each one the blisters there is a very dangerous Oxy, which can penetrate even a car. Stay clear of them as when you get close enough their blood pressure rises (because of their hunger
for Flesh) so high that explode, costing their lives and who else is around.

Changes
- felt good as it was.

THUGS
Bio:
Customers of the resort, who before the transormation they were abusing steroids and other gym products in order to achieve the perfect body. After the "virus" they came back with 100 times more
strength but extremely slower and less clever ! (or not)

Changes
- no need to change anything for what they suppose to be.

RAMMERS
Bio:
Ex Psychotic patients, very dangerous, who were kept at bay in a secret Asylum in a small Island-Rock next to DI. After they became zombies (died and ressurected) their mental dicease only got worse.
Their only Soft spot is their back as they were kept tied on their beds facing upwards all the time.

Changes
-same

BUTCHERS
Bio:
These are same type of cratures like Infected (more on the living side), the only difference is that the virus has eaten parts of their flesh leaving their arm bones exposed which they use as a weapon.

Changes
-same

-WEAPONS & AMMUNITIONS reduced max ammunitions u can carry( 30 pistol, 60 riffle, 15 ammo, 10 sniper - this is beacause guns are really good in DoDI).
Recoil and accuracy adjasted just a tiny bit for all guns...not too much as the gun play was ok. removed blur and zoom when aiming down the ironsights.
Added a small critical hit prob to shotguns since they are supposed to be the ultimate zombie killer!
Minimum Level required for many weapons has been decreaced as per mod's needs.
Upgrades cost 300% more - Repairs 20% more.

-MEDKITS value and healing changed to fit other changes. time to apply medkits have increased proportionally in order to make you feel defensless wlile you heal.
medkits are a LOT better at healing than most of the consumables. the drawback is that you can carry either 1 large med pack or 2 medium.

-APPLES heal the most points from the consumables(one apple a day keeps the doctor away). heal values changed for all items. times it takes actor to consume them increased

- ITEMS you can stack in 1 inventory space have been decreased.(examples: alchool from 10 to 5, molotovs from 30 to 3, grenades from 30 to 3, etc)

-DOOR BASHING made more effective, but it really depends on the character. For instance Xian will take several hits to break in, while Logan will be there with 1-2 knocks. (remember bashing icon removed)

-*IF YOU DIE* you lose all your monies (this is to simulate that you are eaten - thanks to S3anyBoy for the great idea i borrowed). you will be amazed how much fun it is to value
your characters life and be always aware of your surroundings.

- Some other little changes I might forgot

STARTING TIPS :

Once you start a new game you are level 1 (those starting from already played chapters, will start from the corresponding levels) After killing your first zombie you become
Lvl 20 which is actually the cap lvl for this mod. Also now you will have 16 skill points to spend on the new custom Skill trees designed to fit the characters and the gameplay balance.

HIGLY RECOMENDED IN-GAME SETTINGS

-Leave DEAFAULT GAMMA as the calibration screen seems to be broken misleading you to high gamma, which leads to the problem that half of the players are complaining about, excessive bloom.
Default gamma makes things a lot better and gives you a reason to use you flash light in dark rooms.
- TURN OFF all settings in OPTIONS => GAME (npc health, damAge showing, etc.)
- I recomend you Keep FOV to 62.5. Honestly All games I play, I always increase the FOV before even starting, but unfortunately this engine or game cam gives a really bad stretch...
maybe if I find how to decrease depth of field effect then I will be able to increase FOV without make it look like I am seeing through a cone. Deus ex HR had the same exact problem
when put to 90 fov, but when I turned off depth of Field it was more than tolerable. You dont need DoF with a 90 FOV cause the whole world becomes more volumetric already !
The opposite with low FOV below 70, which makes it look flat.
- USE IRON SIGHTS

TO DO LIST (Final Release)

- Really this mod would shine if I could moderately increase walker numbers on all spawn points and maybe add some more spawns eventually,
not infected though (for the time being spawn density mod crashes the game and I don't really want to hex edit)
- night/day cycle (if possible to apply or simulate somehow).
- random weather on all 3 acts
- Make the escape from grab to be more random or more difficult.
- remove the level indication from the menu screens
- Correct skill tree descriptions to reflect the changes of the values correctly.
- Fixing FOV issues so we can increase it at least to 75.
- Increase LOD to minimise pop up textures
- change the character selection screen so that characters hold the corresponding weapons (Logan blunt, Purna blade etc)
- if possible correcting the death of a zombie when you cut both arms while knocked down due to lack of animations to bring himself up again. same with the legs.
(although I think it is easier to fix the arms than it is to fix the legs issue)
- Open to suggestions that stay true to the spirit of DoDI.

KNOWN ISSUES

- Limb Death, zombies dying if you cut them both their legs or both their arms and they are on the ground. This is a game inhereted bug as it seems, due to lack of animations.
- Some weapons especially the named ones may and will require higher levl to use than lvl 20. well you just can t use them. ( will look into this when I have some time)

RECOMENDED MODS ADDING TO THE IMMERSION FACTOR

- No weapon Blur retraction mod. there is somewhere at Steam forums. for the time being I can t provide link as it comes with removing the bloom which I consider good. (highly rec.)
- "A tweak to disable annoying player speech when looting and accepting quests." http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2124341 (depends on your prefernce, I am not using it)
- Horror Weather also seemed good but never got the chance to actually try it, as what I really want is to have all kind of weathers and night/day cycle
- there is a mod for rainy weather on all levels but last time I checked had a bug that would rain interior as well. I think he is in the proces of redoing it. I will eventually give it a try.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
kanthall

Do U have any video from this MOD ?
kanthall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
Pumpgunner

That sounds awesome! Really looking forward to play this mod!
Pumpgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:13 AM   #4
arapisuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanthall View Post
Do U have any video from this MOD ?
If you can tell me a nice free prog to rec some gameplay video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpgunner View Post
That sounds awesome! Really looking forward to play this mod!

Thanks. Give it a try and let me know your thoughts.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
lordnikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arapisuk View Post
they can not throw their weapons, it is already an evolution for their kind to pick up one, to begin with.
I hate to be pedantic, but I'm not sure this statement is entirely true, especially going on dialogue from the original DOTD film.

===============

Recall that approx. one third of the way through the film (just after they have arrived at the mall and kitted out their room with basic essentials - TV, radio, Jack Daniels), the survivors are in their little shack above the shopping mall watching the TV. A montage interview takes place with a man whose name escapes me, but is easily remembered as "they guy with the patch over his eye", during which we see several scenes of zombies wandeering around the mall. I quote:

Quote:
The use of external articles as bludgeons and so forth - I might point out to you that even animals will adopt the basic use of tools in this manner.
Granted "bludgeoning" isn't throwing, but picking up weapons is not an evolution - even animals adaopt that basic instinct - so surely throwing said weapon would not be an evolution? Discuss.

===============

Anyway, still going to download this when I get home later, looks awesome, can't wait
lordnikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
eezo

Quote:
If you can tell me a nice free prog to rec some gameplay video
fraps
eezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
qcoutlawz

Banned
this sounds like alot of fun,1 thing you have to add and Ive made already 2 threads about it is: a event with LMB/RMB (just like when zombies grab you) but AFTER getting knocked down...I mean,if yo uwant realism,why is the whole zombie crew slowly moving away after knocking you down??? tyhere should always at least have 1 that comes toward you then grab you whee you have to do the LMB/RMB sequence to punch him away then get back on your feet (sorry for the bad english)
qcoutlawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #8
arapisuk

@ lordnikon I thought that the name is cool...nothing to do with the movie....beside the fact that whole DI game is a tribute to Dawn of the deads.

@ qcoutlawz I am already bothered from grappling QTE which make grabbig useles. I removed the indicators which tell you which button to click but stil is easy. I can t see a reason to add it to Knock downs really. Despite that I have made knock down to last a lot longer untill you coe back up
Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
qcoutlawz

Banned
Quote:
@ lordnikon I thought that the name is cool...nothing to do with the movie....beside the fact that whole DI game is a tribute to Dawn of the deads.

@ qcoutlawz I am already bothered from grappling QTE which make grabbig useles. I removed the indicators which tell you which button to click but stil is easy. I can t see a reason to add it to Knock downs really. Despite that I have made knock down to last a lot longer untill you coe back up

getting knocked down is alreayd lame and long enough to watch zombies move away from you (wtf) why make it longer?? I ask for realism and thats wayyy too unrealistic
qcoutlawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
arapisuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcoutlawz View Post
getting knocked down is alreayd lame and long enough to watch zombies move away from you (wtf) why make it longer?? I ask for realism and thats wayyy too unrealistic
zombies dont walk away in this mod and although walkers cant mellee hit you only grab you, the infected and armed zombies will finish you while you are down [ParamBool("can_finish", 1)]

Also walkers shouldn t be able to knock you since they only grab. But if they manage to grab you it might be the end.

Last edited by arapisuk: 09-20-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #11
hireath

head stomping needs to be removed...

it's even more overpowered than fury.

you can run around jump kicking EVERY ZOMBIE and then stomp them one at a time... it's waaaaay too easy, man. there is no suspense or challenge once you get stomp.
hireath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #12
arapisuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hireath View Post
head stomping needs to be removed...

it's even more overpowered than fury.

you can run around jump kicking EVERY ZOMBIE and then stomp them one at a time... it's waaaaay too easy, man. there is no suspense or challenge once you get stomp.
I feel almost the same that is why I removed the quick stomp (level 2).

The level 1 stomp needs lots of time during which you are vulnerable. Now account that zombies see and travel further. Max zombies attacking/ grabbing you at the same time Increased, ni invunrability time (used to be 1 sec I zerod it), Stomping uses more stamina ( I am not 100% sure this is taken into account though), etc...so stomping now is abit more riskier.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
arapisuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezo View Post
fraps
thank you. As you can tell I am really Noob at making videos(in general)

so anyone playing this mod and can make a nice gameplay video (well anything will be better than mine, trust me) I can put the link on top post as a preview of some features.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #14
JamieSI

Mirrored this release on Strategy Informer - http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/d...mod/39783.html
JamieSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
gozombie

Quote:
I wasn't gonna give you a hard time about the name of your mod until I read this...

I really hate when people use the name of something popular just to get their mod some attention.. If it has nothing to do with the movie then why did you use it? What's next, a "Left 4 Dead Island" Mod?

But regardless, it looks like you put a lot of thought into your mod so good job there.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island