Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > X-COM series

Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Ansonr

So, I love UFO Defense, why can't I get into Apocalypse?

It was about 2 years ago when I was reading the "Best PC games of all time" article on IGN and number one was x-com. I had no idea what it was, but apparently it was better than Diablo 2, Starcraft, Half-life and every other thing I loved. So when it came on steam I snatched up all the x-com games.

I immediately fell in love with X-Com UFO defense. The grand strategy of the base building, research, and team management; coupled with the more hands on, and extremely tense combat map strategy. Now your pry saying to yourself: "What is this poster, whom I somehow have assessed is extremely hansom, blathering on about."

Well, you see I have a problem. I can't get into X-Com Apocalypse. Every X-Com fan I talk to seems to think it is the pinnacle of X-Com goodness. So I come at it about once every three months saying to myself: "This will be the time I actually learn how to play!" It's not that I can't handle a steep learning curve, I play Dwarf Fortress. I mean I suck at it but still.

Rambling on. I just get into the game and stare at the billion menu's and all of a sudden its like I have ham's for fists and a soft spot in my head. It just looks like there is so much going on compared to UFO defense, which while deep, remains fairly straightforward.

So I ask you gentle posters of steam forum #265-31. Is it really worth my time to play this game? Should I beat away at my keyboard with giant ham fists in attempts to try and figure out what the hell is going on? Or I should just take my soft skull back to the safety and comfort of UFO defense, because it is the pinnacle of all that is good?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
masterthehero

Hmm...

Well, the one I couldn't get into was Terror in the Deep, Apocalypse was fun but it certainly wasn't as good as the original. I think Apocalypse is a bit of a turn off because it's all based inside of a city instead of a world, there are some very retro designs to the aliens and ships, and it's definitely a little out there.

It's fun fighting some of those disgusting aliens and those green worms but, it's certainly not as good as UFO defense. I don't even bother with the real time strategy of the game, because the units are so fragile that if you don't take your time doing turns they will just get annihilated.

Apocalypse is one of those games that gets more fun as you get deeper into the game, it starts getting more in-depth and enjoyable, but at the same time... still not as good as the original. So it's OK not to like it, but I think it's at least worth trying to power through the beginning. If you manage to get to the mid or late game and still don't like it, then just abandon it because you won't enjoy it.
masterthehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Te'om

I haven't actually played Apocalypse myself, but I have played UFO Defense and Terror From the Deep on and off for the past 15 years or so. If you loved UFO Defense and want more of (pretty much) the same, I suggest you check out Terror From the Deep.

Terror From the Deep looks and feels pretty much exactly like UFO Defense (except it's now underwater), but is about 1 million times harder imho. Personally I like that, because UFO Defense wasn't really that hard. Especially after you got the guided missile launcher everything was pretty much straight forward (even the final enemy base).

The main weakness in Terror From the Deep however is in my opinion the incredibly tedious cruise ship missions. They can take hours to complete, and a lot of the time is spent looking through empty cabins hoping to find the last alien bugger hiding there so you can move one deck down and repeat the process.

Still, if you liked UFO Defense and are looking for more of the same, I suggest you give Terror From the Deep a try.
Te'om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Bear Cat

I too have troubles getting 'into' Apocalypse. Between the bizzarre backwards step in graphics and BS aliens you encounter from the getgo (the brain sucker thingy is total crap, why would you start the enemies off with that?!), it's just never fell in for me.

Which is a shame, as it sounds like there's a lot of deep inactivity in the game with the corporations. Change the graphics so they're more interesting (something a little more recognizable to the originals IMO), tweak the enemy balance, and make the UI more user friendly, it'd probably be a pretty sweet game.

But as it is, just can't get into it
Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
NanostrikeX

It's because you can tell Apocalypse was designed more with Real Time in mind than Turn Based. It's almost like they added Turn-Based in as an afterthought...
NanostrikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:19 AM   #6
NKF

The core X-Com games have always been about good solid gameplay rather than the graphics. Best thing to do is ignore the superficial elements like the ugly plasticine alien models (they were actual plasticine models!) and enjoy the gameplay.

Whether you think it's the best of the X-Com games or not is perhaps something only you can decide.

It's worth spending some time just practising and familiarising yourself with how the game operates before actually playing it proper. Also the management side does seem daunting at first, but in time you'll find it does manage to incorporate all the familiar elements.

Get used to the real-time aspect and learn to pause a lot, as you'll be playing the cityscape in real-time all the time.

The battlescape aspect also handles very differently on the real time or turn based modes. Each mode has its pros and cons. There are also some features that work better in real time (motion scanners) or only work in real-time (base defence guns). I would also recommend concentrating on the real-time aspect, but again, learn to pause a lot as that is where you can stop and think about what to do next and readjust.

Hang in there, experiment and don't give up on it and you'll get used to it. Once some progress is made, you'll probably find yourself well absorbed into it by then.

Also, don't hesitate to ask questions on particular areas you'd like to improve on. Like squad control, how to efficiently handle UFO drop sites so that the infiltration gets out of hand, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te'om View Post
Terror From the Deep looks and feels pretty much exactly like UFO Defense (except it's now underwater)
Have played UFO and TFTD simultaneously recently, I can very honestly say that it's not just a graphic swap. There are enough changes to make it a refreshingly new experience, while still sharing plenty of common elements and retaining that familiar feel to it. Definitely worth spending some time on if you enjoyed UFO.

Quote:
The main weakness in Terror From the Deep however is in my opinion the incredibly tedious cruise ship missions. They can take hours to complete, and a lot of the time is spent looking through empty cabins hoping to find the last alien bugger hiding there so you can move one deck down and repeat the process.
I'm ashamed to admit this, but if your game is at least patched up to v2.0, then you have the option of completing the first half of the ship and then aborting the second half.

As long as you did very well on the first half, the positive points will nullify those lost on the second. You will also recover equipment from the first half, and your aquanauts will earn all related stat gains. You might also come away with a bit of guilt as well, but as long as the mission score is 0 or above then all's okay.

- NKF

Last edited by NKF: 09-25-2011 at 02:05 AM.
NKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
MetalCanyon

Apocalypse is a wonderful game that you'll enjoy and love once you get used to its complexity. I, personally, prefer it to the previous two instalments, even though they are wonderful in their own right.

If it helps, you can watch my turn-based Let's Play or the real-time Let's Play, if you prefer.

The turn-based one is complete and will show you how to go about things step-by step. It, as the title suggests, concentrates exclusively on turn-based combat, while the real-time concentrates on real-time battles.
MetalCanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
Te'om

Thanks for the cruise ship tip NKF, I'll be sure to try it out.

In the mean time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WziO005uM3g
Te'om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
NanostrikeX

Honestly, Apocalypse didn't really hit it off for me UNTIL I started getting things like Flying Armor and Personal Shields.

The early game of tracking down Eggs/Worms/Brainsuckers and all that stupid stuff was annoying, but later when you get aliens that actually use weapons and grenades, the game felt like X-COM again.
NanostrikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #10
georgejettison

Ive been playing xcom for years and always seem to get a little further every time. This time Im hoping to finish, but im not too worried, early onset alzeimers has its advantages.
Have you tried getting your psionic guys to gain control of enemy combatants? That is a definite feature of this game. Boomeroids are great fun too. I had one chase three different cultists before it blew. I laughed until I stopped. I bought the game way back when and have hint books/manuals etc. if you'd be interested. They're a real hoot, and useful too.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > X-COM series