Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 09-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
markusbeutel

Civilization Nights Mod

If anyone's interested - I've created a complete conversion of CIV V that plays a lot different from vanilla CIV V. Everything from policies, to the tech tree and happiness, have been completely rewritten, (with custom artwork throughout).

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg199...jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg855...jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg190...jpg&res=medium

The official sub-forum can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=450

Direct Downloads of the mod can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=450 as well as on the ModBrowser.

And the mod was also recently featured on RockPaperShotgun - where they provide a brief review/introduction to what the mod is all about: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...tion-v-nights/

Last edited by markusbeutel: 09-27-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
VeetoO

Cool, gonna check that out right now and report back here if i have any questions,

Thx
VeetoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
VeetoO

How do u start a game with the mod insteadt of the normal game?

I went to mods amd I dont see the night mod there, I see the dlc I downloaded there and I have the new civ's I downloaded before if I set up a new game but I really cant see where the night mod is.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
VeetoO

Never mind I allready found it but now civ 5 crashes, gonna do the verify and defrag options first amd if it still crashed I delete it and stay with the vaniila version.

Ok I found the problem once more, another civ mod was interfering with your mod and that made civ 5 crash:

I had a few minutes to start up a new game and see how it works and what is different.

First of, little as it may seem the addition of real time in the turn button was herralded by my citicens by much aproval. Excellent idea, so i can see how late it is and get ready for work in time :-)

Second the militairy causing unhappines is something that I find weird but since i am just starting out i will see how this plays out

Thirdly the new policies are amazing, much and much better then the orginal. Its easier for me to choose a policy according to my play style!

The new research tree is a bit confusing but im sure that it will all be clear as soon as i spent more time with it.

Thx for the hard work u obviously put into this one mate!!

cheers,
Patrick

Last edited by VeetoO: 09-21-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: follow up info for OP
Old 09-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
markusbeutel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeetoO View Post
Never mind I allready found it but now civ 5 crashes, gonna do the verify and defrag options first amd if it still crashed I delete it and stay with the vaniila version.

Ok I found the problem once more, another civ mod was interfering with your mod and that made civ 5 crash:

I had a few minutes to start up a new game and see how it works and what is different.

First of, little as it may seem the addition of real time in the turn button was herralded by my citicens by much aproval. Excellent idea, so i can see how late it is and get ready for work in time :-)

Second the militairy causing unhappines is something that I find weird but since i am just starting out i will see how this plays out

Thirdly the new policies are amazing, much and much better then the orginal. Its easier for me to choose a policy according to my play style!

The new research tree is a bit confusing but im sure that it will all be clear as soon as i spent more time with it.

Thx for the hard work u obviously put into this one mate!!

cheers,
Patrick
It can be a little bit overwhelming coming straight from vanilla CIV V to Civ NiGHTS, but everything should start to feel fairly intuitive after awhile.
markusbeutel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
Honethite

This could very well be the thing that gets me back into Civ 5. A brilliant looking mod, so weldone on that. Hope you stick with updating it, I'd love to see it grow.
Honethite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
markusbeutel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honethite View Post
This could very well be the thing that gets me back into Civ 5. A brilliant looking mod, so weldone on that. Hope you stick with updating it, I'd love to see it grow.
Thanks - I've been updating it for around a year now, and once we get .dll access things will really start to get interesting.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #8
VeetoO

What is that dll file access thingy u keep talking about Marcus? What good will this be to the mod?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #9
markusbeutel

Quote:
What is that dll file access thingy u keep talking about Marcus? What good will this be to the mod?
It's the source code for the game. We can do a lot with the current SDK tools we have, but deeper level changes that we can make the AI actually understand aren't fully doable yet. Around 2.5 months back we were told that the release was eminent - but no actual ETA was announced.

V10.3 of NiGHTS released to the ModBrowser.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:04 AM   #10
markusbeutel

Version 10.4 released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650

v10.4 Changelog:
  • Implementation of HD Policy and Tech Tree images.
  • Re-implementation of custom icons previously removed to save space in order to upload to the ModBrowser.
  • Ironclads reduced from 50 to 35 Ranged Strength.
  • Tool-tip bug fixes for where Governments replaced Techs.
  • German translation for all Buildings and vanilla CIV V Wonders.
  • Fixed bug where Krepost was being unlocked with Mining instead of Warrior Code.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
VeetoO

Cool, will get the update tomorrow, version 10.4 isnt available from mods downloads ingame though?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
markusbeutel

Quote:
Cool, will get the update tomorrow, version 10.4 isnt available from mods downloads ingame though?
Not yet - I'm going to start staggering the releases so the most current version is always available at Civfanatics. This is because small bugs invariably crop up that need a quick hotfix, and the ModBrowser only allows whole number uploads, so I couldn't upload 10.41 or 10.4a or anything like that, I'd have to release 10.5 - which just gets confusing.

By staggering the new releases for a week I can make sure the ModBrowser version is bug-free. Also, from now on the version on CivFanatics will have extra artwork that won't make it into ModBrowser releases, as there's currently a 5mb cap on upload sizes that I can't get around.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
VeetoO

Ok Thx for taking the time to anwer me Marcus, I will download the new version from civfanatics then,

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 10-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #14
VeetoO

Ive had a few cosmetic issues in the tech tree (amount of turns got caught in the same space as the name of the tech) → Look near the end of the tech tree

Also when the AI players go into a certain era or a new policy, that new information isnt very clear because of the color u used. I believe it was a black font I did see and I had to squint hard to see what was announced.

Just a few things for feed back.

Didnt had a single crash to so thats awesome xD.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #15
markusbeutel

Quote:
Ive had a few cosmetic issues in the tech tree (amount of turns got caught in the same space as the name of the tech) → Look near the end of the tech tree

Also when the AI players go into a certain era or a new policy, that new information isnt very clear because of the color u used. I believe it was a black font I did see and I had to squint hard to see what was announced.

Just a few things for feed back.

Didnt had a single crash to so thats awesome xD.
The name of the tech / number of turns issue can't really be fixed without changing the name of the tech. Once you do reach these later eras, the number of turns will be low enough that they no longer run into each other. As for the new era notifications - I've had to do some UI work behind the scenes in order to get the policy screen set up the way it is which results in this notification being written in black text. Currently changing this isn't an option either, unfortunately.

Good to hear you're not having crashes. I've tried to minimize the coding to be non-intrusive, so everything from load times to the number of crashes should be identical to the vanilla version of the game.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series