Soodle

Steam error 118.

Affects only community pages
Sometimes have trouble loading profile pages
Can't use steam trading.
Hasnt always been like this
Old 09-25-2011, 04:09 AM   #2
Maledict21

Follow the instructions in this thread under the "When attempting to access the Store, Community, or News tabs I get "Failed to load web page (unknown error).-118". Steam related websites don't work in my web browser" section to check for proxies and host redirection. Those are common causes of this issue.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1863496
Maledict21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
shot

got this same problem last night.
Failed to load web page (unknown error).-118
i have reinstalled steam and done the disabling proxy settings, no joy yet.
shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Erfly

I'm getting it, and I don't believe I have any proxy settings.
I haven't had this problem before, it started yesterday.

Last edited by Erfly: 09-25-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Erfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
cmr333

ME TOO!! last night, I live in UK and I use BT infinity, maybe we have in common?
cmr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
mstrong

I've been away for a week and come back to the exact same problem. All was fine before I went away, and now it isn't. Clearly - since I've been away - I have not installed or changed anything on my PC. I too am an Infinity user.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
SaintJimmy

Starting to see a pattern here, I'm also getting this problem and also on BT Infinity. Can download and start games fine but having issues getting onto the store page and can't get to community at all.

Don't have a proxy or anything and this all started Friday evening, also can't get onto the forums unless I reset the router. This has to be something to do with BT as I can access it all from my Android Phone using the mobile network but not when using the BT wireless.

I would call BT but have a feeling they wouldn't have a a clue how to fix or even be able to confirm any issue, might be worth creating post on the Infinity forums.
SaintJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Varicose Brains

BT user too here. Same problem. I've checked for any host problems, but can't find any. Seems to be either a problem with BT or it's caused by the current Steam SEGA sale.

EDIT: I can get the Community page up. It's the Store page and News that isn't coming up. Really annoying. Games run fine though.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
mstrong

Years ago, when BT first released ADSL, they mucked about by installing some badly/incorrectly configured transparant proxies to help "improve response times" for their clients. It was a nightmare for some. Particularly since none of their support staff were aware that such a change had been carried out (actually, at the time for of their support staff seemed to know what a transparant proxie actually was). I wonder if they have done something vaguely similar to Infinity recently.

No other websites are affected (as far as I can tell), and it seems to be only http://store.steampowered.com/ that doesn't work; as you can see I can quite reach and post to these forums via http://forums.steampowered.com/ but not via http://store.steampowered.com/forums)
Old 09-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
Varicose Brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrong View Post
Years ago, when BT first released ADSL, they mucked about by installing some badly/incorrectly configured transparant proxies to help "improve response times" for their clients. It was a nightmare for some. Particularly since none of their support staff were aware that such a change had been carried out (actually, at the time for of their support staff seemed to know what a transparant proxie actually was). I wonder if they have done something vaguely similar to Infinity recently.

No other websites are affected (as far as I can tell), and it seems to be only http://store.steampowered.com/ that doesn't work; as you can see I can quite reach and post to these forums via http://forums.steampowered.com/ but not via http://store.steampowered.com/forums)
I suspect BT are deliberately blocking the Store page because of the sale. It's peak time right now so they'll be throttling it. Shogun 2 is a 20 Gig download; they don't want everybody clogging up the system with that game.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
Psychowolf

Had same problem most of the weekend. BT Infinity here too. Feel lucky it even loaded the forum as it's refused to do it for most part. The store will occasionally be able to load but when it does it fails to load the community tab so it's never loading 100% of steam. I'm online and friends list is populated but just won't load the community tab or any profile in my web browser. Also noticed the web browser within the overlay won't load either and that my favourite server list is empty until I load a game.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
Th3C10wn

Same prob and same ISP. Man BT know how to jarate off customers

Last edited by Th3C10wn: 09-25-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Th3C10wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
SaintJimmy

Might have nothing to do with it but it seems a bit of a coincidence that this stated pretty much when they launched onlive uk, which is partnered with BT.
SaintJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #14
Kaboom

I'm with BT Infinity can't get the DLC page for train Simulator 2012 to buy anything. Every other website works Youtube works. Been trying for over 20 hours to get on a store or DLC page for any game.

Last edited by Kaboom: 09-25-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
Th3C10wn

Lol I feel a law suite a brewing.
Th3C10wn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips