Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 09-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Zoydude

What do I do if the game is not available in a certain country?

I got a friend who is experiencing that problem and I'm looking in it to help him out.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
UOGSammich

The Legal way? Start asking questions to developers through twitter.

The bearded sailor way? VPN new steam account + you gift him the game.

And that's all I am saying, google those terms and don't ask for details.
UOGSammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Thaifun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoydude View Post
I got a friend who is experiencing that problem and I'm looking in it to help him out.
Just gift him the game.
Thaifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
rob1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaifun View Post
Just gift him the game.
Yah - I've heard of lots of peeps get banned for VPN'ing for early release (Deus Ex HR). Best to do it legal mate. It sucks tho'
Old 10-01-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
Nekofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1407 View Post
Yah - I've heard of lots of peeps get banned for VPN'ing for early release (Deus Ex HR). Best to do it legal mate. It sucks tho'

gifting the game is legal and all good with steam, and in cases like my country even if steam wanted to could not stop us getting it thru means such as gifting. but i would strongly suggest agenst useing the methed in this post, it could be illegal in your place of residence and is agenst steams terms of service i think :O i expecting off the top of my head it is.

i know the post doesn't suggest it :P was agreeing. also all info is subject to change by someone :O i not sure how up to date i am with steam stuff now.

if you both have paypal or even send cash in the mail its good i have also with friends who gift me items have gifted them something back at a latter date.

Last edited by Nekofu: 10-01-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Nekofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
Ohnoes!101

Legally i don't think there is anything wrong with gifting a game. If steam allows it to be sent then it is ok, if they bar you from sending then obviously you can't.

Worst case scenario play dumb and apologize if anyone from the receivers country gets on his back. If it illegal steam would not allow you to gift it.

Trust me, i live in Australia where all things are over priced. And always buy my games over seas. You can save up to 60% buying thru an online store from the uk.\

Don't know why Aussies are supposed to have the so called best country in the world yet we get charged through the teeth for anything.

Alcohol-Jack Daniels 700ml Aus-$42.00 U.S-$20
Cigarettes- Aus-$18.00 for a pack of 30's Anywhere else-less than $5.
Digital Camera Aus-$240 U.S-$110

List goes on. Back to topic yes if steam allows this as a gift, it is legal.
Ohnoes!101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #7
KubanitoS

It is 100% legal to gift games to other regions.

I have traded Team Fortress 2 items for Skyrim yesterday and a japanese guy accepted my offer and now I got the game in my account, though it is not even avaliable in my region.

When I click on Skyrim in my library Steam says "the game is not avaliable in your region" and I can't even see the storepage of it.

Q: What restrictions are there on trading Steam Gifts?

A: Trading a Steam Gift is very similar to sending a gift to someone; just that once it is traded that user can then either trade it again, or open it for themselves. There are no restrictions on territory.
KubanitoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
geronimo789

Offer him your couch or an empty room ?

All silliness aside, people were right. The only way to buy a game in a certain region is to have a means of payment (so by extension an address) there, and be currently located in that region (exceptions have been made for people on vacation).

So you could gift him the game without any issues. Be aware that selling steam gifts is an infraction on the EULA (if i remember it correctly). I can't really see them proving something like that however, unless you would actually set up a shop or something.

BTW, why is everyone using the term legal ? Violating the terms of steam's license agreement could result in the restriction or banning of the involved steam accounts. But for them to actually have enough to make a case and go to court ? I don't think there's ANY country that will have laws that condone this. (Unless you buy with a fake credit card or something, that's credit card fraud, or you falsify information about yourself).

Last edited by geronimo789: 10-01-2011 at 11:35 AM.
geronimo789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
peteed1985

If you are in a country where the game is not coming out you could get it gifted but you most likely won't be able to play it until after your country has their release date if it comes out there at all.
peteed1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
KubanitoS

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteed1985 View Post
If you are in a country where the game is not coming out you could get it gifted but you most likely won't be able to play it until after your country has their release date if it comes out there at all.
This is not true.

I have a friend who has gotten Street Fighter gifted to him and he can play it without any problems even though it is not avaliable in his region.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to ask something also.

I have the game in my account, though it is not avaliable in my region. I have traded some TF2 items for it. (Gotta love getting it for free. lol)

Anywayz, it says in my account page that it is the japanese version. I can see this as the game name: Skyrim (JP).

I didn't even know there is a seperate JP version of the game. I hope I will be able to play it in english at least. lol

Is it true, that I won't be able to purchase the posslible DLC-s/Mission packs from my region?

Last edited by KubanitoS: 10-02-2011 at 02:16 PM.
KubanitoS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V