Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island

Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
lapdragon

Mod - Upgraded Inventory Stacks

As we've got issues with the savefile size limits, and after having taken apart my own saves to see if I can fix them, I noticed that every line-item in your inventory is also a line-item in the save file.

To minimize the number of inventory entries in your save files, I made it so that the various "crafting" items (whether they actually are used for anything or not) can stack higher - so, for example those three 30-count stacks of Oleander can be condensed into one big stack of 90, thereby freeing up two inventory lines and helping keep your raw savegame file under 10k.

As one of the biggest offenders for save file bloat is Alcohol, I also bumped it up to 255 per stack, even though it really probably shouldn't be.

Without further ado, here's the mod! :-)

Lapdragon's Dead Island Bigger Stacks Mod

To install it, just unzip and put the inventory.scr file into your C:\Users\<username>\Documents\DeadIsland\out\Data folder - if you don't have a \out\data folder, you will need to make one.

For windows XP, I think the folder will be:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Documents\DeadIsland\out\Data

*** Addendum ***
You need to drop and pick back up existing duplicate stacks, this mod will not automatically resort your inventory. Any new items you pick up will happily go into the expanded stacks, so you don't need to do anything other than play normally. Also, remember to check out Jin's inventory - if you've put medkits, alcohol, and other craftables into storage, then they're still counting as their own line-items.

Last edited by lapdragon: 10-06-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
ALIVELESS

Thumbs up

AWESOME!

thanks LapDragon! ^^
Old 09-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
sustainer

You`ve been busy, thanks for this too.
sustainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
adamhertyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapdragon View Post
As we've got issues with the savefile size limits, and after having taken apart my own saves to see if I can fix them, I noticed that every line-item in your inventory is also a line-item in the save file.

To minimize the number of inventory entries in your save files, I made it so that the various "crafting" items (whether they actually are used for anything or not) can stack higher - so, for example those three 30-count stacks of Oleander can be condensed into one big stack of 90, thereby freeing up two inventory lines and helping keep your raw savegame file under 10k.

As one of the biggest offenders for save file bloat is Alcohol, I also bumped it up to 255 per stack, even though it really probably shouldn't be.

To install it, just unzip and put the inventory.scr file into your C:\Users\<username>\Documents\DeadIsland\out\Data folder - if you don't have a \out\data folder, you will need to make one.

Doesn't it actually impact you VAC status ?
Old 09-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
digitalbeachbum

Quote:

Am I to understand that putting a .scr file in the DATA folder will enable these new settings? I was trying to get other .scr files to work because of a loss of 96 hours of playing.

Another user said by modifiying other .scr files you can change settings for default players so that all the work I previously did won't be lost. I'm still trying to figure out how to get all my weapons back.
digitalbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
adamhertyk

Quote:

Works just fine, thx for this inventory mod
Old 09-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
DjAlonso

very nice, vac status?

thx
Old 09-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
adamhertyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjAlonso View Post
very nice, vac status?

thx
Not changed since having implemented the change. Seems safe.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
Blackh0le

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhertyk View Post
Not changed since having implemented the change. Seems safe.
Does this work on multiplayer or online only?
Blackh0le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
mxr229

Nice. I think that they really should have made the weapon inventory a bit bigger like 25 (upgradable to 50 with skill points) maybe. This is really helpful to people that like to collect a lot of stuff in game.
mxr229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
digitalbeachbum

Skill points and levels

Is it possible to change a SCR file so that I have a default amount of skill points to spend? I lost my saved game to a corrupt file and have tried to recover it several times and no such luck.

I started a new game with SamB on the last chapter and it game me up to L32 for points to spend, but it isn't where he was when I lost the saved game file.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
adamhertyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackh0le View Post
Does this work on multiplayer or online only?
I thought MP = online, doesn't it ? I mainly play SP with some additional slots enabled but rarely anybody joins...But yes, it should work for both SP and MP.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
adamhertyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxr229 View Post
Nice. I think that they really should have made the weapon inventory a bit bigger like 25 (upgradable to 50 with skill points) maybe. This is really helpful to people that like to collect a lot of stuff in game.
yes, they should have done so, but they haven't thus the game is tagged 'buggy'
Old 09-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #14
adamhertyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalbeachbum View Post
Is it possible to change a SCR file so that I have a default amount of skill points to spend? I lost my saved game to a corrupt file and have tried to recover it several times and no such luck.

I started a new game with SamB on the last chapter and it game me up to L32 for points to spend, but it isn't where he was when I lost the saved game file.
It should be possible to do with HEX editor. Plaese address your query here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1#post25365750
Old 09-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
digitalbeachbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhertyk View Post
It should be possible to do with HEX editor. Plaese address your query here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1#post25365750
Yep. On that thread already. Thanks

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island