Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Company of Heroes series

Old 09-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Sir Arun

Talking Wohoo! Offline-mode for steam CoH actually works!

So I had heard many reports about the steam version of CoH always requiring an internet connection for you to be able to play, as you just can't get past the Relic online login window everytime you start the game and before you get to the main menu.

Then I tried the process mentioned in the sticky (see below), and lo and behold...it worked!

Quote:
1. First start Steam regularly in Online mode with your computer hooked up to the internet.
2.Run Company of Heroes and let it get to the main menu screen. Then exit Company of Heroes.
3.With your computer still online, set Steam to Offline Mode (File -> Go Offline). Let Steam restart. You are now in Steam Offline Mode.
4.Now with Steam in Offline Mode and your computer still internet-enabled, start Company of Heroes once more, letting it get to the main menu. Again, exit Company of Heroes.
5.Exit Steam.
6.Unplug your network from your computer.
7.Start Steam once more and launch Company of Heroes.
8. Company of Heroes *might* run in windowed mode now, or you might get a black screen with the music playing in the background. In either case, just click the "maximize window" button at the top right to enter fullscreen mode and play Company of Heroes.

So this means, that after you do this process, you can take your laptop/notebook, or netbook along with you to whichever remote area you want to, including an airplane, and play Company of Heroes without ever needing a disc OR internet connection!

Of course, you will need the internet connection to be able to do the process mentioned above, but it still is a great step ahead of the DRM status quo that Assassin's Creed 2 is still stuck with, where you *ALWAYS* require a connection to be able to play.

Just thought I'd mention this again for anybody still in doubt.

Tl;dr: You CAN play the steam version of CoH in offline mode without requiring a disc.

Last edited by Sir Arun: 09-27-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
McDrewbs

Funny thing is, that is a lot more complex then what I do when I don't have an internet connection.

At the log in screen, I click log in, it logs me in on offline mode (no stats are saved but you can play the campaign and skirmish against the AI).

1. Start game and realise you have no internet/tactically disconnect yourself from the internet.
2. Click login.
3. Play in offline mode.

Tl;dr version, see above.
You only need the internet connect to set up a Relic account.
Though I have no idea why you would want to go as far as disconnecting yourself from the internet to just play CoH in offline mode. But if you have no internet connection available and already have a Relic account, just try to login.
McDrewbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
DeadlyFred

Yeah, it's not that hard :P
DeadlyFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
sonarctica

Thanks man! Im temporarly on a network which has blocked steam from it so had to use flyvpn to temporarly get online to do this to be able to play the game :P
sonarctica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Melo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDrewbs View Post
Funny thing is, that is a lot more complex then what I do when I don't have an internet connection.

At the log in screen, I click log in, it logs me in on offline mode (no stats are saved but you can play the campaign and skirmish against the AI).

1. Start game and realise you have no internet/tactically disconnect yourself from the internet.
2. Click login.
3. Play in offline mode.

Tl;dr version, see above.
You only need the internet connect to set up a Relic account.
Though I have no idea why you would want to go as far as disconnecting yourself from the internet to just play CoH in offline mode. But if you have no internet connection available and already have a Relic account, just try to login.
So there is an offline account basically?
Melo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
griffsrugby

Not sure if we are speaking of the same issue, but for me, the reason it requires a persistent connection is that without it, it asks for the COH:OF disk. Being that we don't have one, this is impossible. The issue is that we can't play, even the SP from CoH or ToV when offline, no matter what we cycle as described above. Second, once we have to power down, if we then power up without a connection later, we cannot play because again, we have no connection so it asks for the disk...this really should be an easily fixed issue...
griffsrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 AM   #7
rantingraj

for me it just works

ofcourse I had to be online to create an account but now that I have my id and password saved on the login screen, it lets me in even when I am offline
rantingraj is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Company of Heroes series