Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alpha Protocol

Old 09-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
NoraanRaad

I want my $2.00 back

I'm sorry but I tried really hard to like this game, lord knows I've played worse but this game just frustrated the hell outta me. Whenever I would find something I like about the game five things would pop up that I hate. My first playthrough was stealth, from the beginning it was apparent that this game was not meant to be sold. The AI would vary from being totally oblivious to completely psychic. That right there is a clear indication that this game needed more time in development. But that's the tip of the iceberg; there are boss fights in this game that will truly test your patience, one minute I would be sneaking around a hallway and the next minute I'd be in an all out shootout that completely negated the purpose of sneaking. I'll admit there were some moments in the game that made think that there might be something to this game, but as I progressed those moments became fewer and fewer.

I get that they were trying to do something along the lines of what Mass Effect did but it clearly was not working. In Mass Effect you start with poor accuracy in a particular weapon and as you add stat points to that weapon you become better with it, here adding stat points barely makes a difference as I found myself waiting five seconds every time I fired my gun for the reticule to return.

As far as the story goes I have no idea what the hell was going on, the main character seemed so incredibly bored with everything that was happening that even I was wondering why I should care. The dialogue system was interesting because on the one hand I understand that they were trying to bring a sense of immediacy to your decisions but at the same time it felt like I was the last customer in a store before closing. In an rpg you need to take time to weigh your decisions so that you can choose the best course of action for your character, but here it just felt like the designers wanted to just keep the story moving regardless of whether you understood what was going on or not. It's obvious that this game was no where near ready for release and in my opinion should have either been shelved or given to a more talented group of designers. The concept is absolutely brilliant but the execution is beyond subpar. The only redeeming thing about this game is that I only paid $2.00 for it, but when I think about how frustrating a lot the game was I think that $2.00 could have gone to better use.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
Shiny-Crowbar

Weapon mechanisms in RPG's always stupid. You are an agent who can't shoot straight unless stands still for four seconds. How the hell did you graduate at all? Aiming with sniper was the most frustrating sniper experience I've ever had in a game as well as any stationary weapon.

What I liked was the story and characters. They weren't all boring stereotypes after all.
Shiny-Crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Drakendodertje

in a day and age where you can pick up great games in any genre in any pricerange, alpha protocol really falls short with its control mechanics. It's hard to feel like a superspy if the controlscheme is so clumsy you feel like an epilleptic. I like challenging games, but i enjoy a difficult learning curve when it's because of the quality of the game, not the lack of. I cannot shed a tear because of 2 euros lost, but i guess any cost is too high if it's just a frustrating experience to play the game.
Drakendodertje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
angrykenji

i am enjoying the game so far but also agree with the aiming being so sensitive while the mouse is slow elsewhere.

the dialogue system is pretty cool but i'm use to just sitting back and watching the cutscenes so i didn't get to properly choose some of my actions at times.

to the op, you really can't complain about $2 can you?
angrykenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
HvC_Terr

I certainly don't blame you for being frustrated. The game has lots of problems.

But at only $2, it has to do something downright villainous to your computer to be worth complaining about refunds, particularly since its reputation was already established.
HvC_Terr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Mantrin185

It's the principal of the matter. Yes, it was only $2, but a lot of people, including myself, are unable to even play it. The mouse doesn't work at all in game and there is no fix for it aside from getting an Xbox controller. (and yes, I looked and tried all of the recommended fixes for it. editing game files, emulators, etc. for the past five days I have been working on this.) I borrowed my cousins Logitech game pad to see if it would work but nope, It has to be an Xbox controller.

They released it to the PC market, it should function on the PC with no added peripherals and without having to mod the game files. They provided a flawed product and should have to give the money back, no matter how small the amount is.
Mantrin185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Onomatopesha

in my case, except for some simple tweak (had stuttering while moving the camera), i'm having no problem, and since i practically dont use any weapon for now, i'm only judgin the stealth portion:

They seem to be nearly blind sometimes, you can walk by their near blind spot and they would still scratch their balls, not something i like, but its ok i guess

Bodies dissapear: this REALLY jaratees me off, being able to takedown a guard, hide for 5 secs untill the other makes his way over there, sneak behind and take him out later is unrewarding.

Controls are no wonder at all, clumsy and the animations dont really help either, but its not something that brakes gameplay for me.

The whole story seems interesting, but i think the gem of this game is in how the story develops, and how you approach different people in the game, with several talk choices that make it really interesting; i'm glad i spent money on this, i've heard these cross-reviews by gamers and honestly, i HAD to give this a shot, so far, despite those flaws, i'm enjoying it so far.
Onomatopesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Mantrin185

That's why it is so disappointing that I can't play it. It looks like an interesting type of game.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
nmanguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantrin185 View Post
They released it to the PC market, it should function on the PC with no added peripherals and without having to mod the game files. They provided a flawed product and should have to give the money back, no matter how small the amount is.
Are you trying to run it on a Pentium 4 with XP or something? It worked great right out of the box for me.
nmanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:44 AM   #10
Valdorganos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny-Crowbar View Post
...You are an agent who can't shoot straight unless stands still for four seconds.
Aiming with sniper was the most frustrating sniper experience I've ever had in a game as well as any stationary weapon...
For now I pause the game just because I had to play Might&Magic Clash of Heroes (totally different type of game) so I haven't finished it yet, but have played it about 8h.

There's certainly no realism base that the more you wait aiming the bigger will be the damages, and that the sniping is so hard to aim.

But largely because of those two elements I found AP shooting hugely better than DXHR shooting. In DXHR you don't have much sniping occasion but when you have and I tried it was awfully easy, so tedious, not challenging and boring. It was just easy aiming, head shot, dead, next and repeat. In AP the relative sniping you have is awfully hard and I end gave up aiming but instead use the "target cross the aiming" to shoot, ie try make move the aiming and cross the target and shoot at right time it happen. Challenging and found it fun.

It's like the long aiming, I found it quite interesting to add more complexity to the shooting, this made feel me the fights more tactical and less just a quick action precision game, and I enjoy quite a lot this approach even if I agree it's strange. Also quote that this Aiming/Damages mechanism is working differently for the different type of weapons.
Valdorganos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:18 AM   #11
Mantrin185

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmanguy View Post
Are you trying to run it on a Pentium 4 with XP or something? It worked great right out of the box for me.
Nope, Windows 7 64 bit with a Core 2 Quad. I'm not sure what the problem is. Like I said I tried everything suggested on several different forums. If I could get the mouse to work it would be just fine, but the camera will not move.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:48 AM   #12
SmellyLethality

What exactly is the problem you are having, Mantrin?
SmellyLethality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
mclazyj

I liked the concept of what Obsidian was trying with Alpha Protocol, but I think they failed on the execution of those ideas. I like the decision moments and that you have to make a decision, or one will be made for you. But the mechanics in the rest of the game are all over the place.

A sequel to buff out the rough parts would have been nice, but I doubt that will ever happen after the reception of the first one.

Sad thing is that Obsidian seems to have the execution issue with a lot of the games they work on (see KOTOR 2 and Fallout New Vegas for similar issues).
mclazyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
Mantrin185

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyLethality View Post
What exactly is the problem you are having, Mantrin?
The mouse is supposed to move the camera around and it doesn't. Everything else works, I can get to the first puzzle lock and solve it with no problem but then I am left facing a wall and not able to see what is around me or ahead of me. It recognizes when I click the mouse but not when I move it.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
SmellyLethality

Go to APInput.ini located in User>Documents>Alpha Protocol>APGame>Config

Open it up and look for this line near the top:
MouseSensitivity=60.000000 (that's my number, yours may be different)

Try changing it there, rather than from the ingame menu. See if that helps.

If it's set to the lowest sensitivity, 0.000000 I guess, I think your mouse will not register.

Last edited by SmellyLethality: 09-30-2011 at 03:45 PM.
SmellyLethality is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alpha Protocol