Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 09-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
hailtomichigan

Shutdown PC after game done with download install

i want a a button/option to pick were after the download install of a game it will shutdown your PC.

i want this because some times the download takes so long i let it download over night and because im sleeping i cant shut it down when its done.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
EpyonXI

You can always go to command prompt and use the command "shutdown -s -t 3600"
3600secs = 1 hour.

Though obviously if your download slows down, then it's not going to finish.
EpyonXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
hailtomichigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXI View Post
You can always go to command prompt and use the command "shutdown -s -t 3600"
3600secs = 1 hour.

Though obviously if your download slows down, then it's not going to finish.
because bandwidth changes, download size, and if every one is downloading it at same time the download speed change making download time longer.

for example: normally i download steam games at 700kbps to 1.2mbps but some times it can drop lower.

by doing it your way im guessing when it will be done and will have a high chance that the download will not be done when i start it up.
by having a shutdown after install ill know it finished and will be able to play instead having to continue the download when i wake up and wanting to play.
hailtomichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Walker5678

Well your idea is good, but its not really necessary in my opinion. It only takes like 2-3 minutes to restart a computer >.>
Walker5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
hailtomichigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker5678 View Post
Well your idea is good, but its not really necessary in my opinion. It only takes like 2-3 minutes to restart a computer >.>
see if its downloading overnight, im sleeping and having this shutdown after install has good benefits.

when its done it will shutdown and that's an 3 to 7 hours of my GPU fans not spinning.

right now if steam is left open, every time my pc try's to sleep it wakes it up so its all ways on when open. having it shutdown will stop this.
hailtomichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
BaSeBallDuDeR

I understand what your asking, and I would love this feature too, as I download things too late at night and I would like the computer to shutdown automatically when done. I use a program to shutdown my computer when a download is done. I use accurate shutdown http://www.accuratesolution.net/accurateshutdown.htm

you can set the time you want to wait before shutting down so I look at the eta time on steam and then set it on the shutdown program. It works, but I would like a program like this in steam so I dont have to mess with that kind of thing outside of steam
BaSeBallDuDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
max2

I don't want a program like Steam to have that much control. Never turn my PC off anyway. Who does that nowadays ? At least true geeks.
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
BaSeBallDuDeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2 View Post
I don't want a program like Steam to have that much control. Never turn my PC off anyway. Who does that nowadays ? At least true geeks.
Well think of your computer as like a muscle, if you use your muscles constantly its going to brake down fast. Same goes with cars and machines, if they had to run 24/7 then you would just be wasting energy and wearing down your parts even faster then if you would of turned off your computer.
BaSeBallDuDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
max2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSeBallDuDeR View Post
Well think of your computer as like a muscle, if you use your muscles constantly its going to brake down fast. Same goes with cars and machines, if they had to run 24/7 then you would just be wasting energy and wearing down your parts even faster then if you would of turned off your computer.
You can prove this how exactly? From what I experience PCs last longer by keeping them on.

I have a hard drive going on 4 years now. Don't expect them to last longer than 2 to 3 years.
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
ddrkreature

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2 View Post
You can prove this how exactly? From what I experience PCs last longer by keeping them on.

I have a hard drive going on 4 years now. Don't expect them to last longer than 2 to 3 years.
The more parts are used, the more they have to work, which means constantly moving parts and moving parts break down over time. And I have had my hard drive for about 5 years now from a POS best buy machine and we still have a working hard drive from 2003 when XP came out and we were still using ribbon cables. They can last a long time if properly cared for.
ddrkreature is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas