Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Iron Grip series > Iron Grip: Marauders

Old 10-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Strich

F2P with or without P2W?

Hi,

I have to admit that I was caught by this trailer. But it is free to play so I asked me the question that everyone might asked:
As a person, who hates pay to win (not the same as f2p!), is this a game where a better chance to win is bought by money instead of skill?
And this means: Any better chance even if it is very small.

In contrast the answer to this question for TF2 is: No, all ingame non-vanity-items can be acquired by playing the game. And your chances with the "beginner" Items are not worse than with the "unlockable" non-vanity-items.
The outcame of a match is only driven by skill.

I hope you've seen what I mean.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
melkathi

Currently there is no PvP in this game, therefor what you or others do does not adversly affect anyone. So currently its not P2W. How things will work out once PvP is re-implemented is anyone's guess.
melkathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Strich

Oh my Question wasn't limited to pvp, although the comparison was a pvp example.
Strich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
melkathi

It seems you can get the awesome units as raid rewards and you earn gems ingame. So I assume you can slowly build up the same arsenal without spending any (or much) cash.
Then again, I only started playing yesterday, so my answer isn't based on much experience
melkathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
WernerWarhead14

The game is honestly far from pay to win shockingly (in my oppinion). Due to how easy you get gems from leveling up, and how you can go on multiple missions at the same time thanks to smuggling. (Smuggle missions is like automatic missions that you send one of your Hero units to do together with normal units selected by your choice together with smuggle trucks, these missions usually take a few hours to be done, so your selected Hero and units will not be usable in raid missions until they are done. So think of it as idling in a way but that they are doing something to earn the reward instead of just doing nothing...)
You got no real shortage of supplies, unless your not really caring for your units and just bomb rushing in every mission, getting huge losses each time. (So your forced to train/build more, or buy form the black market.)

You use energy much like in Spiral Knights to go on missions, you have 24 at max no matter if you pay or not, and you get 1 each hour, and due to it costs far less doing stuff then in Spiral Knight, a normal raid mission costs 3energy while a smuggle one costs just 1.

But overall, once you get into it its a pretty darn fun turn based strategy game that you will probably throw quite a lot of hours in if you enjoy a mix of Advance Wars and Codename Panzers: Phase 1.

Edit: Pardon the rather crappy EnGrish.

Last edited by WernerWarhead14: 10-01-2011 at 02:03 PM.
WernerWarhead14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:40 AM   #6
Strich

Thx for teh help :-)
Strich is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Iron Grip series > Iron Grip: Marauders