Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE

Old 10-04-2011, 03:57 AM   #151
Kornithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_DC View Post
It is fs_cachepath and it shows the users\username\appdata\local\id software\rage directory but I looked on my hard drive and the directory doesn't exist.

Hot damn. I just added a new folder there and reloaded the game and it has 1GB of files there. Can anyone check if the directory exists?

It is 1GB because I edited +fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024 in the launch options. I will check if it helped in game now.

The cvar edits have to be in the launch options as far as I know. Entering them in the console doesn't work.

I still get pop in but it runs really smooth. Maybe because my C drive is an SSD.
This worked for me as well, helped the fps and texture steam slightly, still some flicker tho
Part of me wonders if it simply had a bad install setup, anyone know someone who used another digital distribution for this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkh2o View Post
Remembered that Dead Island had set it's cpu priority to low when it first came out and required me to change it to high. So I checked it out on Rage and sure enough, it was also set to low. Changing it to high and then restarting the game seems to have given me a very large performance boost. Still getting a lot of stutters and screen flashes though. But at least in between the stutters I am getting the 60fps I am supposed to.
This also helped a little bit.

Still getting flicker artifacts, but the texture steam from turning is much quicker
Kornithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:58 AM   #152
JK_DC

Here is my launch options. lol

+cvaradd g_fov 20 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +set com_allowConsole 1 +fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024 +ik_enablesmoothing 0 +image_usecompression 0 +jobs_numthreads 4 +mem_phymemblocksizem 3072 +m_smooth 0 +m_rawinput 1

I don't think block size helps but it does do something. It runs much more smoothly at least with all of those.

Last edited by JK_DC: 10-04-2011 at 04:47 AM.
JK_DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:01 AM   #153
nightlordv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornithium View Post
This worked for me as well, helped the fps and texture steam slightly, still some flicker tho
Part of me wonders if it simply had a bad install setup, anyone know someone who used another digital distribution for this game?

This also helped a little bit.

Still getting flicker artifacts, but the texture steam from turning is much quicker
How do you change the priority and what do you set it to? Dead Island had that ini file but RAGE to my knowledge doesn't.
nightlordv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:03 AM   #154
Kornithium

I alt+tabbed

right click start menu -> start task manager
go to processes tab
Find RAGE.exe
set priority.
Kornithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:03 AM   #155
chaotic4life

Wow.. JK_DC.. Those coupled with the fs_cachepath made my game go from lag to playable.. Thank you for sharing that.

Here is my entire set launch for everyone..

+fs_cachepath "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\id software\rage" +cvaradd g_fov 20 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +set com_allowConsole 1 +fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024 +ik_enablesmoothing 0 +image_usecompression 0 +jobs_numthreads 4 +mem_phymemblocksizem 512 m_smooth 0

I think this should help everyone greatly.
chaotic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:08 AM   #156
nightlordv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornithium View Post
I alt+tabbed

right click start menu -> start task manager
go to processes tab
Find RAGE.exe
set priority.
Thanks!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:08 AM   #157
Cooketh

thanks everyone for contributing to this thread. FYI for ATI users, the new Rage Hotfix patch from Ati only seems to fix some stability issues related to crashing.
I use two 6870s in crossfire, and the update say it improves single GPU performance. It may or may IDK, but it runs like crap with Crossfire on.
These launch option commands do help a great deal, especially if you're using an SSD.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:11 AM   #158
nightlordv

Through the launch fixes the game does seem to run better but this texture pop in still persists and is bugging me to no end. If someone can fix this they would be helping a lot of people
Old 10-04-2011, 04:11 AM   #159
schism84

Ok so, having run the game in windowed mode, I've determined a few things. Firstly, once the game has loaded textures (I don't move or look around), it runs EXTREMELY smoothly with shooting, even throwing a nade for about 2s, then freezes for 4s. If I move it's worse. I also noticed that the game sends my CPU flying to 100% capacity and locks it there, while only using 600MB of my system RAM.

Am I the only one who thinks this is something wrong with the way megatextures uses cache and buffering in this build?
schism84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:11 AM   #160
Mawgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusedCore View Post
Fixes:
  1. Make sure all your drivers are up to date
  2. (ATi/AMD)Possible game startup fix http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...2&postcount=33
  3. (ATi/AMD)Hot Fix - Rage performance drivers http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...erfDriver.aspx
  4. Major Performance Fix with the use of cache files and new folders: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1#post25497361 Thanks JK_DC

Thank you for list, the rage drivers and the new folders helped me pick up about 15-20 consistant fps. (can actually hit 60 standing still!). Texture and flickering still a problem.
Mawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:13 AM   #161
GEN3RIC

OK can anybody tell me why suddenly I cannot set any of my cvars? I have attempted to do it in the console and the launch options but when I verify them in the console they're at their default. This game is getting progressively worse IF you can believe it.
GEN3RIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #162
Rock3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by schism84 View Post
Ok so, having run the game in windowed mode, I've determined a few things. Firstly, once the game has loaded textures (I don't move or look around), it runs EXTREMELY smoothly with shooting, even throwing a nade for about 2s, then freezes for 4s. If I move it's worse. I also noticed that the game sends my CPU flying to 100% capacity and locks it there, while only using 600MB of my system RAM.

Am I the only one who thinks this is something wrong with the way megatextures uses cache and buffering in this build?
Nice troubleshooting there.
Rock3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:20 AM   #163
nightlordv

Apparently XBOX 360 users are having texture pop in issues as well. I read it on the Bethesda forums. So it is NOT just a PC issue.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #164
Zorlond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic4life View Post
Wow.. JK_DC.. Those coupled with the fs_cachepath made my game go from lag to playable.. Thank you for sharing that.
Second and third this, it brought my game out of the 'multiple seconds per frame' hell into a reasonably playable state. There's still texture issues when turning around, and a few flickerings, but considering where the game was, it's a vast improvement.

Why didn't id see this, though?
Zorlond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:22 AM   #165
Rock3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorlond View Post
Second and third this, it brought my game out of the 'multiple seconds per frame' hell into a reasonably playable state. There's still texture issues when turning around, and a few flickerings, but considering where the game <i>was</i>, it's a vast improvement.

Why didn't id see this, though?
Thats what I am wondering. Almost smells like wrong build eh? OR its a test! lol
Rock3t is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE