Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE

Old 10-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
Vonje

One comment on the lack of visual effect settings

http://tytrup.ru/img/video.gif

- Half-Life/Counter-Strike is a classic PC game, and is still not forgotten. It is ANYTHING but a console port.
- Visual effects and texture details cannot be changed at all. You got the resolution, some obsolete renderers, and some color adjustments.
- This is somehow very unacceptable in RAGE, and it's automatically turned into a console port.

This can be applied to a bunch of PC shooters.
Of course, this comparison isn't to be taken completely seriously, but you get the point.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
jim2point0

You're basically saying that game should never evolve.
jim2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
o'dium

Erm... No.

The problem is this is id Software. The same company that in previous efforts let you tweak everything, including the kitchen sinks specular level.

To be shunted with such a lame UI option set is insulting given their heritage.
o'dium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
lexcyn

Welcome to 1998. This is 2011.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
BioSehnsucht

It does looks about like half life 1 quality every time I turn my head.

I might as well just not wear my glasses, if anything it'll improve visually.
BioSehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
0xiDIzE

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonje View Post
http://tytrup.ru/img/video.gif

- Half-Life/Counter-Strike is a classic PC game, and is still not forgotten. It is ANYTHING but a console port.
- Visual effects and texture details cannot be changed at all. You got the resolution, some obsolete renderers, and some color adjustments.
- This is somehow very unacceptable in RAGE, and it's automatically turned into a console port.

This can be applied to a bunch of PC shooters.
Of course, this comparison isn't to be taken completely seriously, but you get the point.
You're an idiot. One of those buttons in the bottom right there? The ones that are in Russian for some reason? Yeah, it says ADVANCED. Allowing you to change more options.
0xiDIzE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
Vonje

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xiDIzE View Post
You're an idiot. One of those buttons in the bottom right there? The ones that are in Russian for some reason? Yeah, it says ADVANCED. Allowing you to change more options.
Are you really that big of an ignoramus? The buttons are "OK" "Cancel" and "Apply". I am not responsible for bad translations if that's what triggered your post.

Edit:

Wow, even Google Translate can confirm that it's "apply".

Last edited by Vonje: 10-04-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Vonje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
orphiuchus

Quote:
You're the idiot in this case, that says "Premenet", which is the verb "To apply".
orphiuchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
0xiDIzE

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by orphiuchus View Post
You're the idiot in this case, that says "Premenet", which is the verb "To apply".
Whatever. It's still like three more options than RAGE gives. And I don't remember CS having texture pop-ins from the 8-bit era. Which is the equivalent of what most people are experiencing with RAGE.
0xiDIzE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
UOGSammich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2point0 View Post
This isn't evolution, it's exactly the opposite. If I wanted simplified I would buy a console.
UOGSammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
orphiuchus

Quote:
Whatever. It's still like three more options than RAGE gives.
Don't get me wrong, the RAGE launch is ed and the lack of options is downright insulting. I'm here because I cant even play it.

I just don't get a lot of opportunities to use all those Russian classes, so when I see something like that I've got to pounce on it.
orphiuchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #12
Flybye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2point0 View Post
This isn't evolution. Its devolution for an advanced PC game to have to lower its standards to a console that is using 7+yr old hardware.

Evolution is when we switched to bump maps, when we switch to using 2048x2048 textures to an ever increasing amount of video memory, and when we are able to use billions of polygons at 60+ fps per second.

PC gaming has finally reached an all time low when ID released this. Valve is almost there with the fact that L4D doesn't even allow you to host a server out of your own box at home for a lan party unless you stick in a fancy command code.

Console gaming may be more popular due to that even 10yr olds get enough Christmas money to buy a used 360, but this does not mean the PC community should be given the middle finder with a damn console port.

I've seen a few people here mention that their PC gaming hobby is almost dead, and I can't blame them. I was planning to upgrade my computer so I can do Rage & BioShock Infinite, but now Rage seems shot in the foot. Coming from a UT2004 clan, Unreal Tournament III was a major disappointment, Jumpgate Evolution became vaporware, EVE Online has now become a pretty game to suck people's money in to buy fancy boots for your character, and even Portal 2 has these disgusting load times ALL designed for...you got it...a ing console.

Every PC game is becoming a major disappointed to the seasoned PC gamer. Anyone who has played PC gaming for 10+ years knows exactly who the seasoned PC gamer is, and they know exactly what the PC gaming community has been losing each year.

Two things are going to happen soon. Either the PC gaming industry is going to finally fall flat on its face or TRUE PC game developers are going to revive PC gaming to its former glory.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
Vonje

Quote:
And I don't remember CS having texture pop-ins from the 8-bit era. Which is the equivalent of what most people are experiencing with RAGE.
Perhaps, but not really related with the settings. I'm pretty shocked to see this many people with problems myself, but all this biased hate makes me sick.
Vonje is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE