Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > NBA 2K series

Old 10-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
Kazbarkley

Crashing to desktop?

I'm really liking what I've been playing so far in the My Player mode, but I've run into a problem. My first game with my team (I'm an SG with the Jazz), it gets a few minutes into the game (Though never the same point; I've tried this two or three times now), when suddenly the game will crash to desktop. No error message, no warning, no indication of anything, just like I exited from the game, except without any command to do so.

Am I the only one experiencing this, and if not, could I get some help? The suggestions I've found through a quick Google search don't really seem applicable to what I'm currently going through. I played 2k11 on PC as recently as a couple days ago, and it ran smoothly, and when this game is actually working it does just fine. Just this weird issue.

So, um, help?
Old 10-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
Kazbarkley

I just went through the process of verifying my game cache and updating my graphics drivers and still no luck. Got through the first quarter of the same My Player game against the Rockets and it dropped to desktop again with no error message or anything.
Kazbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
Kazbarkley

Finding some consistency in the glitch here; it seems to do it at the ends of the first and third quarters. Whenever I'm playing and the first or third quarter ends, on the way out of the ad for a different game, it drops to desktop. But the halftime show works just fine (Haven't been able to make it through a full game to know about the endgame).

That said, that means it's probably nothing to do with my system, and the fact that I lowered the graphics on the crowd and court confirms this. Seems to be a legit problem with the game, but I find it odd nobody else has complained about this.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
kozzy420

Played about 3 hours, no crashes yet.

Nvidia, newest BF3 beta drivers.

I would also suggest that you defrag your HD (defraggler is free and good), also try a few different graphics drivers, some might work better then others for you. If none of that works I would reformat (thats what I do if nothing else works).
kozzy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
Kazbarkley

Alright, I just went through the effort of making another character, getting him drafted, and playing to a 1st/3rd quarter transition (3rd quarter this time). Like clockwork, I crashed to desktop right after the preview for a Dallas/San Antonio game in-between the third and fourth quarter.

Now that I've pinpointed the glitch...well, there's not much else to do but hope that a patch (Be it from 2K or unofficial) gets released to fix this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzy420 View Post
Played about 3 hours, no crashes yet.

Nvidia, newest BF3 beta drivers.

I would also suggest that you defrag your HD (defraggler is free and good), also try a few different graphics drivers, some might work better then others for you. If none of that works I would reformat (thats what I do if nothing else works).
Have you played the situations I have above? Have you played a My Player game in which you were active at the end of the 1st/3rd quarter and had it go through to the next with no issue? Because I haven't run into any issues beyond this, so if you've never gotten to this point, it would make sense that you never have either.

If I had experienced crashing ANYWHERE ELSE, I would reformat. But since it is this very, VERY specific instance, I am convinced it is a problem with the programming.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Welshyuk

Got the same issue, crashes to desktop every time it loads that "coming soon" section, happens on my player mode and season...although it didn't occur when I played the rookie showcase...
Welshyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
Pelvis

Happens to me to alot

Crashed usually at the end of the quarter of a game in association mode

it happens when i press away cut scenes in the end of a game and during a game...

Last edited by Pelvis: 10-09-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Pelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
mcduck101

yeah it happens to me and two of my mates that have the game.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
Buckets81

I'm having the same glitch in "season" mode. I can play quick games all I want but I get C2D after the first or third quarter right after the preview of an upcoming game. At that point, the save game for my season also seems to be deleted. I did manage to make it through one game without this happening but it has plagued me since.
Buckets81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
osbornej76

Another one here.

Crash to desktop, no error message.

Playing Create a Legend mode, NBA 2k12 crashes during 3rd quarter cut scenes on seemingly random games. The annoying thing is, once the crash occurs, it happens at the same point in THAT game forever. The only way to get around it is to skip the game.

I have noticed (as some other posters) that it happens when you are still in the game at the end of the 2nd qtr.

I have created multiple players, and have also switched off Auto Save. Neither helps.

In case this is in any way kit specific:

Windows 7 (x64)
2.67Ghz Intel Core i7 920
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R mobo
6Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4890
Catalyst 11.9 (also had issue with 11.8)
Onboard Realtex Azaelia Sound (6.0.1 drivers)
osbornej76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
designersheep

Same here. I'm crashing to desktop at the end of 1st or 3rd quarter in my player mode. It's very frustrating.

I have ATI Radeon 4500 and I run it in Windows 7 32bit.
designersheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
kozzy420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazbarkley View Post
Alright, I just went through the effort of making another character, getting him drafted, and playing to a 1st/3rd quarter transition (3rd quarter this time). Like clockwork, I crashed to desktop right after the preview for a Dallas/San Antonio game in-between the third and fourth quarter.

Now that I've pinpointed the glitch...well, there's not much else to do but hope that a patch (Be it from 2K or unofficial) gets released to fix this.

Have you played the situations I have above? Have you played a My Player game in which you were active at the end of the 1st/3rd quarter and had it go through to the next with no issue? Because I haven't run into any issues beyond this, so if you've never gotten to this point, it would make sense that you never have either.

If I had experienced crashing ANYWHERE ELSE, I would reformat. But since it is this very, VERY specific instance, I am convinced it is a problem with the programming.
Yup, I am just starting the playoffs in MY PLAYER mode (game 2 of first round), not had those issues. I have been in the situtation you are describing but no crashes to desktop in 31 hours with NBA2k12.

I am the starting PG on my team, I play around 99% of each game (unless I get in foul trouble). Have played many times were you are talking about and no crashes to desktop.

Played tons of MY PLAYER, alot of Association and maybe 4 of the LEGENDS games (Also 7 online games).

Only game I get any crashes on it Fallout New Vegas if I load to many mods up.

Last edited by kozzy420: 10-14-2011 at 11:53 AM.
kozzy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
Grendel777

Angry

At the end of the first and thrid quarters like you said, during the coming next section it crashes to desktop as if someone had done alt+f4. It's happened a few times now and it's seriously starting to jarate me off.
Grendel777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Prometheus1138

Yep, same here. MP mode. Doesn't happen every game, but when it does, its at the end of the 1st or 3rd quarter. Very frustrating, especially when you're having a good game. Hopefully it can be patched.
Prometheus1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
Shameless_llama

The Fix (for me)

I too was having the no-error crash to desktop upon starting the game. When I went into C:/programs/steam/steamapps/username/common/nba and ran the .exe in compatibility mode for (WTF) Win 95, I got the game to run. But in My Player Mode, I had the same no-error crash after every 1st and 3rd quarter "coming soon" commercial. If I was on the bench and simulated to the end of the quarter, I didn't get the commercial or the crash. After screwing around with settings, I set compatibility mode to Vista (service pack 1) and forcing Direct X 9 and I don't get the crashes any more.

I'm running Windows 32-bit. Plenty of RAM, up-to-date processor and video card, so I have no idea why I'd need to force Direct X 9 and run in compatibility mode for Vista (sp1). But that works for me.
Shameless_llama is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > NBA 2K series