Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Old 10-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
jerkamie

Thumbs down Why are they selling this broken game?

My co worker and I were talking about our high school days playing dark forces 1 and 2 today. Made me come home and buy df2. Trying to play it what a pile of crap. Why does steam sell this game if it's not working the way the original used to??

Old 10-06-2011, 05:17 AM   #2
MentatMM

I'm unable to answer your question, but I can point you to a thread that will enable you to get JKDF2 working. This thread includes several "patches" that make the game better.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
jerkamie

Really we shouldn't have to do this crap to get this working. Steam should be embarrassed.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
neema_t

Welcome to PC gaming. At least this game can be made to work, a few I've got haven't got solutions to the whole 'this doesn't work' problem.
neema_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Bucky21659

It's actually just because the engine doesn't really like newer hard ware. Luckily I had an old laptop with an ANCIENT video card. (ATi Mobility Radeon 9700) So if you have an old-ish video card/computer, try running it on that. :P
Bucky21659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
Dragonsbrethren

This is one of the few Steam games that outright states it has problems due to age on its store page. Like neema_t said, at least you can get it working on a modern system. I've had to turn to a VM running Win98 for a few older games.

The game's too new for emulation and too old for it to run (flawlessly) on modern hardware. You just have to deal with that; the alternative is not having the game available on Steam at all.
Dragonsbrethren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:33 AM   #7
zarathustra2k1

Banned
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkamie View Post
Why does steam sell this game if it's not working the way the original used to??
1 - Did you read the disclaimer before hitting 'purchase'? Seems not, or you'd be whining less...

2 - Many others seem to be playing it just fine.

3 - Follow MentatMM's URL - then the good advice posted therein - & you could also be enjoying JK & reminiscing with the rest of us.

4 - TINU.
zarathustra2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Count_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
Welcome to PC gaming. At least this game can be made to work, a few I've got haven't got solutions to the whole 'this doesn't work' problem.
Welcome to the world of pain. The game is broken not because all of PC gaming is like this, it's being sold broken because LA are a bunch of s.
Count_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
EricJD

JK: DF2 worked perfectly for me right away, and I have a fairly modern computer. (Sandy Bridge, 16 GB RAM, two GTX 460s in SLI)
EricJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
Count_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJD View Post
JK: DF2 worked perfectly for me right away, and I have a fairly modern computer. (Sandy Bridge, 16 GB RAM, two GTX 460s in SLI)
Go outside and buy yourself a bunch of lottery tickets, because you're the luckiest mothereffer in the world.
Count_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Monster_user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count_D View Post
Go outside and buy yourself a bunch of lottery tickets, because you're the luckiest mothereffer in the world.
Now I'm going to have to try this game on my PC.

Windows Vista 64-bit
4GB RAM
Geforce GT 240
Core 2 Duo E7500 3ghz.

EDIT: It works on my PC. I'd have to say that Eric is not the luckiest person in the world, he just has a compatible system.
Monster_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
DeathByCactus

Umm, it works on my GF's old busted computer and my awesome I7-2600k rig. Both JK2 and Dark Forces. It crashes every time I have to come back into the game from the exit menu but I can still quicksave/load.

Also, technically you should be embarrassed. You are the one who got screwed lol.
DeathByCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
Treychik

well - the main point here is : why come that steam doesn't fix game files and saves users' nerves and expectations -__- I've found more than 3 games with "no launch" bugs...they can be easily fixed...but they sell raw product now...we live now, not 90s...almost any user has Win7...then what is the problem fixing some games?
Treychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
Monster_user

We live now, not 90s. The game is 90s. The code is 90s, not now.

The fact of the matter is, the source code was deleted a long time ago. Nobody remembers how the game works, or how to fix it. It would cost tens of thousands of dollars to hire a team of programmers to re-learn the game and fix it. It could cost hundreds of thousands if that team has to reverse engineer the game, and rewrite it from scratch.

Your better off making a new release, like "Tomb Raider: Anniversary".
Monster_user is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II