Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Medieval II series

Old 10-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Guk

Stainless Steel mod trouble shoot 6.1-6.4

hi , so i have problems installing mods on my steam's MTW2 , one of the biggest and most popular is by far the Stainless steel series , ( http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=314 ) it released version 6.4 earlier this year , personally i played 6.0 a while back and it was awsome , 6.4 should be cool. now to the issue ...

Theres a conflict of sort with STEAM's launcher & SS mod. patches are all .exe , just need to point them in your steam common medieval total war folder instead of original's SEGA's. easy enough so far..

the mod is in parts or in a torrent ( best i found was in 3 part x 750 MB + a patcher on mega upload). the last .exe patch even detect STEAM and ask if i am running it from steam i clicked yes of course . but then , nothing happens , neither steam or the offered launcher will start the game , at all , i looked a bit and this solution comes from total war center forum :

-----------------------------------------------------------------

In the m2tw folder you should see 3 exes. "m2.exe", "kingdoms.exe" and "launcher.exe"
Create a folder called "backup" and place the "launcher.exe" in that
Rename the "kingdoms.exe" to "launcher.exe"
Now go to the mod that you installed(I'll use SS in this case) and find the ".bat" file(icon should be a gear thingy) and open that.
Copy this bit(the last bit will be different to TATW but should be similiar)
@mods\Stainless_Steel_6\Stainless_Steel_Kingdoms.c fg
Now go to your "Steam Games" list and right click kingdoms, select "properties" and then "set launch options"
In the box that appears paste the bit you copied(in SS case it will be Try...
In the m2tw folder you should see 3 exes. "m2.exe", "kingdoms.exe" and "launcher.exe"
Create a folder called "backup" and place the "launcher.exe" in that
Rename the "kingdoms.exe" to "launcher.exe"
Now go to the mod that you installed(I'll use SS in this case) and find the ".bat" file(icon should be a gear thingy) and open that.
Copy this bit(the last bit will be different to TATW but should be similiar)
@mods\SS6.3\default.cfg

Now go to your "Steam Games" list and right click kingdoms, select "properties" and then "set launch options"
In the box that appears paste the bit you copied(in SS case it will be @mods\SS6.3\default.cfg)
Now save that and go back to your games list, click on kingdoms then launch, it should bypass the launcher and take you straight to the mod.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Personnally , i cant make heads or tail of this , but its supposed to work ? i tried following the instructions but the .bat file i found cant open , a DOS windows pop up telling me cant find kindom .exe and im not sure whats the bit im supposed to paste in launching options

i tried re-installing the mod without sucess , i deleted evrything game and mod and before i attempt again from scratch i was hoping someone from Steam comunity could help , im in over my head with theses launcher buisness with bit and bat files...

Old 10-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Guk

somthing else

i tried another mod , third age , it offered this simple solution :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional installation instructions only for Steam users:

1. Install both parts of the mod as instructed above.
2. Open Steam/Steamapps/Common/Medieval II Total War/mods. There you will find all your installed Kingdoms campaigns as well as the Third_Age modfolder.
3. Edit the name of one of the Kingdoms folders (americas, britannia, crusades, teutonic), preferably your least favorite campaign. The new name doesn't have to be anything specific.
4. Change the name of the Third_Age folder to the former name of the Kingdoms folder you just edited. For example, if you edited the americas folder, the Third_Age folder should be named americas.
5. Select the appropriate campaign from the steam menu. If you renamed the Third_Age folder to americas, select the americas campaign. If you named it crusades, select the crusades campaign and so on.
6. Steam will now launch the mod.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
no result, in fact the game wont launch period , mod or no , i dont even get the starting Total war launcher up , could there be a problem with the launcher ?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Rossignol

Try the Kingdoms Launcher Application by Squid. Handy little tool that adds new mod directories to the launcher choices.

I've used it with Stainless Steel 6.4, Broken Crescent 2.3 and Third Age 2.1, and it seems to work fine with all three, and you'll still have the Kingdoms campaigns available as well. That page also has a forum link as well in case you run into problems.
Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Medieval II series