Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fable series

Old 10-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
mcpeepants

Can't buy DLC without having Steam purchased version in library... gift code?

So I already own the game (GFWL had it for $12.49 about a month ago) but was looking to pick up the DLC here on Steam as it's $4US for both expansions. However, when I go to check out it refuses to let me purchase them as I do not have the game in the Steam library. (I did add it as a 3rd party game, no dice) It's a bit mind boggling as Steam is only selling me the bloody keys and I have to download the crap from GFWL anyway, whine mope

Anyway, does anyone know if I go the 'gift code' route and send it to myself if it'll just send me the keys or if I'll wind up with the same 'missing game' crap?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
crimsonheadGCN

You are not buying just the keys from Steam. The content is also downloaded through Steam or I assume so since that's how the vast majority of DLC is handled on Steam. So you won't be able to gift it.

The keys are just for activating it I believe.

Last edited by crimsonheadGCN: 10-06-2011 at 05:41 PM.
crimsonheadGCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
mcpeepants

Red face

The newer GFWL games seem to be extra weird with the DLC, only going thru Microsoft - Fable is the first I've seen where it's offered outside of Microsoft... and it has this cryptic warning on the app page

"Notice:
To activate the downloadable content after your purchase, launch Fable III and copy the Product Code from the Steam overlay into your clipboard. Once the game launches and the Gamertag sign-in process completes, press the Home key to bring up the Games for Windows Live overlay. Click Gamertag, select Redeem Code, and paste in the Product Code to initiate the download process.
Alternatively, Product Code for the downloadable content may be redeemed from a web browser at https://live.xbox.com/RedeemToken."

Screw it may get drunk and roll the dice tonite haha
mcpeepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
{Yotsuba}

While Steam is only providing the GFWL keys (and the DLC is downloaded via GFWL), even gifting is likely to not work as it will check if you have the base game on Steam and then will tell the person attempting to gift that as you don't have it, they can't gift it.
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fable series