Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series

Old 10-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Johnnykey

BF3 - Jet controls

Not only controls, but also the gameplay, everything! The gameplay of jets is AWESOME. This is even better than many plane-only games, including the latest Top Gun game that I bought!
Even in laggy servers the planes are easily controllable lol, EA dedicated themselves a lot into putting a lot of work in the jets and how they play.

Kinda offtopic: I have no damn clue why people say the controls on BC2 were lame, as the keys you use in this game for every vehicle is exactly the same. With the exception of driving vehicles now being like 10x easier and it's literally impossible to crash as a heli or jet (Also, you can somewhat use the mouse to replace the directional keys for the jets, if you dare to do such a thing:F)

Well, I've only did some 5 flights so far, don't know much yet like how the heck do you shoot missiles, the button for (supposedly) chaffs doesn't work either, I suppose you need to level up your jet skill?

Offtopic: Damn Steam doesn't let me take SSs while afterburning lol, F12 doesn't work while pressing Shift, it seems, oh well.

Greatly offtopic: 5.1 in this game is definetly not even nearly on par with BC2, I don't know if the Bad Company franchise is supposed to have greater detail in vehicles or something, but to begin with the 5.1 sound in BC2 with every kind of vehicle is incredibly immerseful. It's not bad in this game, but like, when you drive in a tank in BC2, the sound inside of the cockpit is incredibly.... realistic. Your whole room makes loud sounds everywhere of the "huge metal junk" you're moving, making you really feel like you're in a real tank. This doesn't happen in BF3, but to begin with, when you're in a tank in BF3 the screen doesn't put you in the cockpit, but in front of it, so that might be it.
I hope this is only in open beta and that the tanks get cockpits and better crosshairs, etc (it all sums up to 'more details')

Last edited by Johnnykey: 10-07-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Fish-E

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
(Also, you can somewhat use the mouse to replace the directional keys for the jets, if you dare to do such a thing:F)
Wait, you can fly with the directional pads instead of the mouse!?

So that's why I kept crashing and nobody else did! (That or I'm just bad!)

Quote:
Well, I've only did some 5 flights so far, don't know much yet like how the heck do you shoot missiles, the button for (supposedly) chaffs doesn't work either, I suppose you need to level up your jet skill?
Missiles, Flares etc all have to be unlocked. (I'm not sure if they're in the beta anyway. I've only played for ~ an hour but I haven't seen anyone use either)

Quote:
Offtopic: Damn Steam doesn't let me take SSs while afterburning lol, F12 doesn't work while pressing Shift, it seems, oh well.
If you change the screenshot key to Shift + F12 then it should work!
Fish-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
Kalabalana

Well, regardless of settings, I am forced to fly jets inverted. Not fun. So I'll fly with the wasd and arrow keys.

Also, jets are super slow. Unlocking missiles is a little dumb.
Kalabalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Johnnykey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-E View Post
Wait, you can fly with the directional pads instead of the mouse!?

So that's why I kept crashing and nobody else did! (That or I'm just bad!)
By using the arrow keys it's quite impossible to crash, even if you dare to do a fly-by (just not an extreme "Top Gun-like fly-by" lol). The mouse controls is obviously... not wise, cause it requires you to "jump" your mouse constantly on your mousepad. But at least it's there, I'd say it might be good temporarily to aim.

There isn't much "gravity" here, now that I think about it, like the air pressure and stuff, that 'might' be added later if EA feels like it. It's fine as it is though, it's just it might be too easy to fly a jet atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-E View Post
Missiles, Flares etc all have to be unlocked. (I'm not sure if they're in the beta anyway. I've only played for ~ an hour but I haven't seen anyone use either)

If you change the screenshot key to Shift + F12 then it should work!
Thanks for the info!
Johnnykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
YeOldeChopChop

I wonder if there could be a way to increase mouse sensitivity while flying jets. I'm scrubbing around with my mouse like mad...

but I agree. I didnt think the jets were so easy to handle. Rly well done DICE!
YeOldeChopChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
MrChris

when flying jets

Keyboard only all the way
MrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Amy

Jets are so easy to control in the Subway.

On a serious side, the Jets are awesome, and i only use a keyboard.
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
CombineFrieza

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeChopChop View Post
I wonder if there could be a way to increase mouse sensitivity while flying jets. I'm scrubbing around with my mouse like mad...

but I agree. I didnt think the jets were so easy to handle. Rly well done DICE!
This also, and I hope they make a way to take off the inverted controls, its like flying backwards!
CombineFrieza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
taodemon

The keyboard makes it easier to fly but aiming on the mouse is a lot more precise. You can get away with flying jets with the mouse. The helos on the other hand I still can't manage, even with the keyboard, but with the mouse it is near impossible.

Would it be worth keeping an xbox controller around just for flying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombineFrieza View Post
This also, and I hope they make a way to take off the inverted controls, its like flying backwards!
For a joystick/controller inverted works, for the mouse it ends up being very counter intuitive, and the option for inverting it doesn't seem to work in the beta.

Edited to add that I really like how smooth the jets feel, how they fly.

Last edited by taodemon: 10-07-2011 at 02:18 PM.
taodemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series