Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE

Old 10-09-2011, 05:25 AM   #151
flakoff

Strange i had no problems before the patch or after the patch,running win 7 x64 gtx 285 and 12 gig ram.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:33 AM   #152
lexatwo

I'm linux user and play this game under Wine. Surprisingly enough it had been running like a charm on my home PC (AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU @3.2GHz, 6GB of DDR2 RAM, nVIDIA GeForce GTS-250 with 1GB of VRAM) under latest Wine (1.3.29) and nVIDIA Display Driver 280.13. Game was running at almost constant and steady 60FPS when set to use 1680x1050, 2xAA (using in-game video settings menu), 2xANISO (using vt_maxAniso cvar), 8k virtual texture pages (using vt_pageimagesize* cvars) and vsync on (using r_swapInterval cvar). I had experienced moderate textures pop-ins, especially right after loading savegame (or doing vt_reset), but the overall game experience was good: no hangs, no stutters, steady 60FPS with rare short drops to 30FPS when entering a new location, no render glitches (have to admit that I had to turn off AA/ANISO/Texture Sharpening in GPU driver control panel to fix rendering glitches I've been experiencing initially).

And then here comes the patch. BANG! Now I've got huge texture pop-ins no matter what is the value of vt_pageimagesize* cvars and/or value of "Texture cache size" menu option. Now I've got 60FPS only if I stay still and don't move the camera. As soon as I start to mlook around - FPS drops to 30. As soon as I stark walking - FPS drops to 30. At some locations it is now always capped to 30 in case vsync is on. Same locations prior the patch have been rendering at 60FPS with vsync on.

Thanks to ljbade it was possible to revert the patch. It is second time he saves my day this year - previous one was fixing Valve's bug in reworked HL2 (discussed in http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1286792). Thanks a lot man, you really rule!

lexatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:42 AM   #153
lexatwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.A.L.K.E.R. View Post
Is there a confirmed list of what cvar's were locked with the patch?
cvars were locked prior the patch but due to the bug in the engine it was possible to modify locked cvars using cvarAdd/cvarMultiply commands. Now this bug said to be fixed. The list of "locked" cvars (which are actually called "cheat" cvars) can be fetched by enabling the console and scrolling it back to a place saying something like "Executing Rageconfig.cfg...". There would be a huge sequence of "Reseting cheat cvar XXX..." afterwards.

Could anybody here explain to me why the hell m_menu_sensitivity cvars is being considered as "cheat" one?! Menu mouse sensitivity under Wine is hell-too-high. Before the patch it was possible to lower it to acceptable level by manipulating m_menu_sensitivity setting it to something around 0.15. After the patch this possibility is lost.

And another rhetorical question: why the hell modifying m_sensitivity cvar had no effect on actual mouse sensitivity in-game? Maximum level of 5 that can be set through menus is a too slow for my personal taste. I would like to be able to set it to something around 8-10. Why the hell, id, why do you prohibit us - you customers - to play the game with a comfortable level of mouse input sensitivity? Is it a start of "throw out your PC with keyboard/mouse and use cosole+pad instead" agitation company?
Old 10-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #154
samedizombie

I have an ATI HD 4870 1gb, running Vista. Couldn't play the game from the box due to the various issues. (as I've had the GPU for 2 years I decided it mayy be a sign to upgrade so I've ordered a HD 6870.) In the mean time i've tried lots and lots of config variations leading up to the latest AMD driver and the auto patch from Steam. The game is working quite well now with the odd pop here and there and the odd lock up when I try to quick save. Unfortunately I am now unable to gain any achievements as the game tells me i have the console enabled, (which must have done by one of the config file I tried.) so I can either continue without achievements and hope that the game remains 'stable' or start again with the config files removed. Decisions, decisions.
samedizombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #155
knaagi

Just found something interesting elsewhere:

If Rage crashes after hit "Play", try the Steam File Validating function. This solved the problem for others.

Last edited by knaagi: 10-09-2011 at 05:52 AM.
knaagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:53 AM   #156
lexatwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by samedizombie View Post
... so I can either continue without achievements and hope that the game remains 'stable' or start again with the config files removed. Decisions, decisions.
Out of curiosity: how exactly does the game says to you that "you won't get achievements due to enabled console"? Cause I've got it enabled and still receive achievements. As for decisions - why don't you simply remove the config line that turns the console on? Iterate through config files you had added to the game and search for "com_allowConsole" cvar. Make sure it is set to "0". Also don't forget to check "Launch options..." in Steam, +com_allowConsole 1 might lure in there.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #157
samedizombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexatwo View Post
Out of curiosity: how exactly does the game says to you that "you won't get achievements due to enabled console"? Cause I've got it enabled and still receive achievements. As for decisions - why don't you simply remove the config line that turns the console on? Iterate through config files you had added to the game and search for "com_allowConsole" cvar. Make sure it is set to "0". Also don't forget to check "Launch options..." in Steam, +com_allowConsole 1 might lure in there.
As I completed the level, (first mission) the screen went black with a red box saying that as I had console enabled acheivements were not available, (or words to that effect.) I thought I had removed the config line which turns console on but I will try what you suggest. (I'm wondering that even though I may have it turned off now, the game might 'remember' that as I played through the level console was on.)
Old 10-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #158
lexcyn

Game is freezing randomly now every few seconds. Left all the settings the same, this patch is pathetic.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #159
alexThunder

Still unplayable on my Win7 64 (Catalyst 11.10 v2).

On Ubuntu 11.10 64 (Catalyst 11.9) I'm now having some texture artifacts (the black textures thing), but it's at an acceptable degree. But the pop-ups are mostly gone and the performance increased - it run's like hell now :].
In addition, it doesn't crash anymore - I'm so close to actually have fun with this game
alexThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #160
ljbade

Quote:
Thanks to ljbade it was possible to revert the patch. It is second time he saves my day this year - previous one was fixing Valve's bug in reworked HL2 (discussed in http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1286792). Thanks a lot man, you really rule!
Thank you lexatwo for pointing out that my old RapidShare fix for HL2 had stopped working. I have created new links and put them on all the relevant threads on the HL2 forum.

I still can't believe Valve have not noticed that bug report or fixed it. Damn lazy developers.
ljbade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #161
samedizombie

Quote:
Tried, but still get the message.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...55515266838898
Old 10-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #162
Omphofo-Bravo

I feel like I just cought a lucky break. After the patch, the stuttering was gone and while GPU transcoding has been taken out, the game seems to work a lot better now. I've set the texture cache to high, Vsync to on and AA to 4X. There is still some degree of texture-pop in certain areas like Dead City but overall it has been reduced to almost completely nothing.

Hopefully the next drivers will stabilize the game even further.

Here are my specs if anyone is interested.

Win7 64bit
ASUS P7P55E-pro
Intel Core i5-760 @ 2,8Ghz
4GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz
2x GTX 460 1GB cyklone - SLI
forceware 285.38
Omphofo-Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #163
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I've had the console enabled for some time, I'm still getting achievements.

Only thing I can think of is I didn't enable the console until after I had been a few missions in.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #164
smokeyninjas

Id Software you are a ing joke spent hours yesterday getting this to run perfect with my HD5870 only to have it ed again by a patch texture now wont even load & the game either jumps to the start screen or full on crashes when i enter a new area or pause the game WTF!!!
smokeyninjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #165
samedizombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.A.L.K.E.R. View Post
I've had the console enabled for some time, I'm still getting achievements.

Only thing I can think of is I didn't enable the console until after I had been a few missions in.
Thanks.

I'll try starting from scratch then now that the console has been disabled in the config file and see how it goes.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE