Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 10-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Mickthom

Can I reinstall games on Steam for free or do I have to buy them again?

Hey guys, I need to know if I can reinstall Steam games on my account because I got a new hard drive and I am putting Steam on it, but I have some Steam games that need updating and downloading and I can't back them up, so I need to know if I have to buy them again or can I reinstall them for free.

Thank you if you answer.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
emcct

If you have bought a steam game, for instance CS and its on your account then you can always download it again
Old 10-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Eunos

Banned
Emcct is correct, you can download them as many times as you want to.
Eunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:45 AM   #4
ozgeek

Yep, you can reinstall the games on ANY computer but remember some games have install limits due to SecuRom. here is a website dedicated to listing all the games that have DRM that interferes with Steam's true purpose:

http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/
ozgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Howler54 II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgeek View Post
Yep, you can reinstall the games on ANY computer but remember some games have install limits due to SecuRom. here is a website dedicated to listing all the games that have DRM that interferes with Steam's true purpose:

http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/
Hmm browsed around there, didnt really know what SecuRom was. Now I understand why people don't like it that much.

I saw this from their support on Batman: Arkham asylum (randomly chosen). It's info on what to do if it says that your game has been activated to many times.

Quote:
Please run the revoke tool, http://download.securom.com/support/...kebatmanaa.zip, on the PC where you have originally activated 'Batman: Arkham Asylum'. After revoking this activation, you will be able to activate your application on a different PC.
What if you don't have the computer you originally activated the game on? Do you have to buy a new copy of the game then?
Howler54 II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
snapjak

You would be down one activation if you can't use the revoke tool. Sooner or later you may either be forced to contact the dev/distributor to get your key reset, or have to buy it again.
snapjak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips