Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE

Old 10-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
Maxwell_Adams

new patch locks variables, makes many tweaks impossible

Here's a tweak I was playing around with: cvaradd r_UseDynamicEnvironment -1. It lets you disable the horrid post-processing the game uses.

Dynamic Environments on:
http://i.imgur.com/9cBqH.jpg

Dynamic Environments off:
http://i.imgur.com/XzLxE.jpg

But with the new patch, I can't change this, because the variable is locked. Actually, the variable was locked in the first place, but the cvaradd command let you get around the lockout.

Here's another tweak I like: cvaradd m_menu_sensitivity -0.1. The mouse cursor in this game is completely jacked because the input is being processed as gamepad input. Acceleration, smoothing, angle snapping, and dead zones are all being applied. With the new patch, the mouse cursor is still busted, but I can't do anything about it.

Here's another one: vt_maxaniso 8. This cranks up the anisotropic filtering to clean up texture shimmering. It does expose texture seams in high contrast areas if you smash your face right up against them, but these textures already look terrible up close so it wasn't a major loss. Now I can't increase vt_maxaniso above 4.

Furthermore, the anisotropic filtering in this game is broken to begin with. Every time a new map loads, it uses an AF value of 2, regardless of what vt_maxaniso is set to.

Oh, and I get worse texture streaming with the new patch, too. I had no problems when I could set vt_maxPPF to 16. Now you're adjusting it on the fly or something and you aren't doing it right.

Don't lock variables. Don't prevent us from fixing the problems in this pathetic port. Don't reach into a product I already paid for and take away features I like to use.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
ljbade

Yeah this is such BS.

And please bring back the noclip and godmode commands! This is a single player game for goodness sakes.

You can use this to get old version with cvars but you can't use it for achievements:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2164097
ljbade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
DemonKamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell_Adams View Post
Here's another one: vt_maxaniso 8. This cranks up the anisotropic filtering to clean up texture shimmering. It does expose texture seams in high contrast areas if you smash your face right up against them, but these textures already look terrible up close so it wasn't a major loss. Now I can't increase vt_maxaniso above 4.

Furthermore, the anisotropic filtering in this game is broken to begin with. Every time a new map loads, it uses an AF value of 2, regardless of what vt_maxaniso is set to.
AF is the sharpening of textures oblique to the PoV (camera). What exactly are you claiming it is?

Quote:
Oh, and I get worse texture streaming with the new patch, too. I had no problems when I could set vt_maxPPF to 16. Now you're adjusting it on the fly or something and you aren't doing it right.

Don't lock variables. Don't prevent us from fixing the problems in this pathetic port. Don't reach into a product I already paid for and take away features I like to use.
Yeah you bought the game, but its not your property you have a licence to use it, you don't own it. Live with it, you complain you get screwed, you complain more you'll get screwed even more.

Moral lesson, no one likes a complainer.
DemonKamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
poqobod

I wonder what the reasoning behind locking m_smooth and pm_crouchToggle was. Definitely not a decision made by anyone who has played Id games before.
poqobod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
Maxwell_Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by poqobod View Post
I wonder what the reasoning behind locking m_smooth and pm_crouchToggle was. Definitely not a decision made by anyone who has played Id games before.
m_smooth doesn't do anything by default. If you were to set m_smooth = 5, the game would process 5 mouse samples and smooth them together. m_smooth is set to 1, so it takes one sample and computes an average of that, which doesn't change anything. So, while mouse smoothing is technically enabled, it has no effect on aiming.

The mouse cursor in menus is totally broken, but that's because the input is being processed the same way as gamepad input.
Maxwell_Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
ljbade

It also disables achievements if you have ever used console before the patch. Some people have had to delete all old save games and start a new game to get around it.
ljbade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
poqobod

Quote:
m_smooth doesn't do anything by default. If you were to set m_smooth = 5, the game would process 5 mouse samples and smooth them together. m_smooth is set to 1, so it takes one sample and computes an average of that, which doesn't change anything. So, while mouse smoothing is technically enabled, it has no effect on aiming.
Oh, I always thought setting m_smooth to 0 disabled mouse smoothing in idtech games and 1-x told the engine to blend additional samples and how many. Calculating an average with only one sample sounds pretty wasteful though . Do you happen to know what setting it to 0 does? It seems weird to have two different values for a variable do the same thing.

Anyways, I guess I'm only annoyed by them disabling non toggled crouch then. It's understandable since you can't really move to right holding down C, but it's kinda weird to force people who use Ctrl to crouch to use a toggle.

Last edited by poqobod: 10-09-2011 at 07:49 AM.
poqobod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Mad Max RW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonKamikaze View Post
Yeah you bought the game, but its not your property you have a licence to use it, you don't own it. Live with it, you complain you get screwed, you complain more you'll get screwed even more.

Thanks for the cool lesson, bro!
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
DemonKamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Thanks for the cool lesson, bro!
Welcome to the way the world works...
Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #10
Metabog

I think the current patch is a work around for the bad drivers, the future patch is sure to add back the stuff once they clean out all the problems. Give it a bit of time, you'll get the modding tools as well.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
Marsbergen

Think I actually prefer the game without the craptastic post-processing.
Marsbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
raveolution1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonKamikaze View Post

I signed up on this site just to respond to this, since thousands of people are seeing this thread because of a gaming site that referred to here.

Sure, licensing laws and such say you don't own a game that you buy, that part is true. But when you say that you get screwed when you complain and nobody likes a complainer, that's not at all acceptable.

There is such a thing as "the customer is right". It used to be "the customer is always right" (please, look it up), but nowadays, apparently good business sense has been thrown out of the window.

There is absolutely no rational reason for a game developer to remove console cheats from a single player game. If there are reasons that they make up inside their heads, it certainly is not rational. I am barely a web programmer and I can visualize how to preserve the use of single player cheats while disabling them in online play and disabling Achievements as a direct consequence. Again, there is no rational reason to disable cheats for single player in the console. But there is a bigger issue, too. There is no rational reason to revise a game by removing features from a game, cheats or otherwise.

When you do remove features from a game that people pay for, they have a right to speak out or complain. Any company that punishes complainers by "screwing them harder", as you put it, risks facing the ultimate penalty inflicted upon them: lots of people deciding not to buy their products.

Here is a lesson for everyone about the workings of the market: you punish customers for complaining, you risk the loss of sales and the survival of your company.

Before you claim that I am wrong, first stop and go ask Ubisoft about their experiences with screwing over customers. Ask them what the phrase "90% drop" means to them.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
mathesar

Quote:

Yea It's a shame the new patch messed up the streaming for some of us (Nvidia only?), It was running perfect on my GTX 480 before the patch, now I see textures loading in all the time, not really bad but say I do a 180 spin Ill see the textures load in almost every time even if i stand in the same spot and repeat.

Prior to the patch I would only catch quick glimpses of textures loading in if I happen to move the mouse really fast, changing texture cache to small / 0x anisotropic / 0x FSAA doesn't help at all so its not related to those settings, also tried various rageconfig.cfg settings but not even sure which ones work anymore, Also tried removing the .cfg altogether, no help.

i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / 6GB / GTX 480 1.5GB w/ 285.38 driver / Win 7 64

Last edited by mathesar: 10-11-2011 at 10:00 AM.
mathesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
surfrock22

I can confirm commands being locked as well. r_dimShadowForceHighQuality and r_dimShadowResolution are both commands I could change to make the shadows look way better, and now they are locked.

ID, please pull your head out of your ..
surfrock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #15
DemonKamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveolution1 View Post
I signed up on this site just to respond to this, since thousands of people are seeing this thread because of a gaming site that referred to here.

Sure, licensing laws and such say you don't own a game that you buy, that part is true. But when you say that you get screwed when you complain and nobody likes a complainer, that's not at all acceptable.

There is such a thing as "the customer is right". It used to be "the customer is always right" (please, look it up), but nowadays, apparently good business sense has been thrown out of the window.

There is absolutely no rational reason for a game developer to remove console cheats from a single player game. If there are reasons that they make up inside their heads, it certainly is not rational. I am barely a web programmer and I can visualize how to preserve the use of single player cheats while disabling them in online play and disabling Achievements as a direct consequence. Again, there is no rational reason to disable cheats for single player in the console. But there is a bigger issue, too. There is no rational reason to revise a game by removing features from a game, cheats or otherwise.

When you do remove features from a game that people pay for, they have a right to speak out or complain. Any company that punishes complainers by "screwing them harder", as you put it, risks facing the ultimate penalty inflicted upon them: lots of people deciding not to buy their products.

Here is a lesson for everyone about the workings of the market: you punish customers for complaining, you risk the loss of sales and the survival of your company.

Before you claim that I am wrong, first stop and go ask Ubisoft about their experiences with screwing over customers. Ask them what the phrase "90% drop" means to them.
While I appreciate and respect your point of view, "the customer is always right" only works to a certain degree. That degree is the consumer promise made upon release. ID where clear on that. They gave system requirements. These requirements did not include products provided by other organisations.

As for comments about cross platform standards, removing features from one platform that's available on another. It is common sense to include as much for the game in all formats, but certain features are not practical to implement on some versions as an example, the game textures have to be compressed even further for Xbox and PS3, simply because of hardware resource restrictions. What use is the command console really on a console version of the game?

As for my screwing complainers comment, its swings and roundabouts, there is a vocal minority of people unhappy with what they have, they ask for more and expect to get it. Life doesn't work that way, nether does business. There are reasonable requests and unreasonable demands.

A reasonable request would be higher resolution textures, whether that's technically feasible is a different question, I highly doubt that higher resolution textures which require even more system BUS bandwidth will do any good for most systems (SLI and Crossfire included as they are not supported in Rage).

As for the reference to PC games piracy, sure there is plenty of it, but a good majority of those that do, will play the game as a pirate copy, then buy the full version to enjoy on-line with friends, the rest, well the games industry shouldn't peddle so much crap on the market I'm afraid.

Last edited by DemonKamikaze: 10-11-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE