Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 10-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
kattle87

Red face Cannot start steam in offline mode!

My internet at home is down.
Today I fired up steam and it would say roughly (I'm italian so the error is translated)
"it's impossible to join the steam network blablabla" and the 2 usual buttons are there: "try again" or "offline mode". I click "offline mode" and 2 error windows pop up.
The first one says "impossible connecting to steam network because of a problem with your internet connection. visit www.steampovered.com for more info."
The second one is completely hidden, you can see it if you move the first one, and it says: "This operation cannot be completed when Steam is in offline mode".

What the hell?????
Is it just me???? Can you guys try and see if everything's fine for you?
This is really lame anyway, I just wanted to play some single player games and I HATE WHEN THINGS LIKE THIS HAPPENS, they make me regretting on choosing steam and digital download.

I'm posting this from my mobile btw.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
Offline Mode must be set up properly while online.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Eunos

Banned
Welcome to Steam, the PC gaming DRM platform that is fanatically loved by thousands of people who hate DRM.

Yeah, odd isn't it.
Eunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunos View Post
Welcome to Steam, the PC gaming DRM platform that is fanatically loved by thousands of people who hate DRM.

Yeah, odd isn't it.
Once everything is set up properly, offline mode works just fine. It only takes a few minutes and if you expect to ever need it, you must have the options set correctly.

We have multiple computers here, all set up properly so if we need offline mode, it is available.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:59 AM   #5
kattle87

I managed to get it to work eventually, but I must say it has been odd... It wasn't the first time I used the offline mode, and all of a sudden this error appeared... I expected it to work a bit better, honestly!
At least, they could make error messages more informative :P I really had no clue of what was going on...
kattle87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:40 AM   #6
Eunos

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Vampire View Post
Once everything is set up properly
I'm aware, but even you must be able to see the funny side of needing to be online to use offline mode, I bet there is at least one person who sets offline mode every night just in case...

However, I'm just happy Valve have added it, since without it, UBI's always on DRM and Steam would be different in name only.
Eunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
animefan211

I set it in offline mode every night just in case, what is so wrong with that?
animefan211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
XTT

Exclamation Same Issue

I have the same issue. I believe it's a Steam problem.

When I turn Steam to offline mode, it doesn't come back. The icon vanishes and there are no messages; the offline mode version never starts up. Trying to run Steam again gets you nowhere. It first says that you're in offline mode, but if you try to stay there, the Steam icon will vanish. If instead you tell it to go back online, it will tell you that it can't connect to Steam... but then it does so just fine. It's only if you tell it to go stay in offline mode that it fails and your Steam icon vanishes.

Offline mode is set up correctly, but I double checked to make sure. It worked fine as recently as last Saturday and no games have changed in that time.

I would also like to mention that recent changelogs of the Steam client indicated that they were having problems with offline mode. I didn't have a problem before, but I do now. I can do everything just fine in online mode, but Steam totally refuses to go offline for me right now.

So I believe this is a problem with Steam. I have an up-to-date client and it worked before. I have made no changes to my computer since the time it worked.
XTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
XTT

Arrow

Just to clarify, it currently works like this:

If it was in online mode before, all is well. It stays online.

Otherwise, it tells me that Steam is set to Offline mode (it was set to that, it just never got there...). I then have the option to stay offline or go online.

Going online works, though an error pops up and vanishes before I can see it. Going offline leads to having the Steam process stuck with no tray icon. You have no choice but to reboot or kill the process.

The same is true when you have Steam online and working (all games "ready to play" except for an unreleased preorder of Orcs Must Die). If you choose go offline, you get a prompt to confirm, then Steam vanishes and won't come back.

Killing the process and restarting it when you were in "Offline mode" (not that it actually got there) and telling it you want to stay in Offline mode leads to two errors, one on top of the other. One part tells you that you can't go offline when you're in offline mode. The other part tells you it can't connect to Steam. Of course, it *can* connect to Steam or I wouldn't be able to get it to go online to begin with.

So, yeah, basically the Steam process hangs for me whenever it tries to go into offline mode and I can only work in online mode. All my games work, I tested all of them, it's just offline mode that's failing.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
Exited Steam, turned off the Internet connection, started Steam and it asked if I wanted to go into offline mode. No problems doing so...

Had Steam running and disabled the Internet, restarted in offline mode with no issues.

Once it's set properly, everything works as intended.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
Karhtan

Having the exact same problem as XTT. Worked fine until a few days ago or so.

One small thing to add, trying to change user does the same thing as trying to go offline XTT described. Client semi exits, and never comes back up, process is still running though. Have to kill process and run steam again to get login screen where I can login fine. Offline mode still broken as XTT nicely described though.

Last edited by Karhtan: 10-10-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #12
hairy potty

Well we don't always know when the Internet is gonna go out.
hairy potty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #13
Smeggit

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTT View Post
...Going offline leads to having the Steam process stuck with no tray icon. You have no choice but to reboot or kill the process...
I'm having the same problem on both my desktop and laptop. For me it does eventually work but it takes a full 10 minutes for the Steam process to end and offline mode then starts normally. Both my desktop and laptop are i7 gaming rigs so PC speed is not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTT View Post
...(all games "ready to play" except for an unreleased preorder of Orcs Must Die)...
Now it may just be coincidence but I also have OMD preorder and the demo on both my PC's.
Smeggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:30 AM   #14
Karhtan

Hmm, I had the Orcs Must Die demo installed. It wanted to do a big update so I just uninstalled it, and now Steam will go into offline mode as normal.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:38 AM   #15
XTT

Question That's one theory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karhtan View Post
Hmm, I had the Orcs Must Die demo installed. It wanted to do a big update so I just uninstalled it, and now Steam will go into offline mode as normal.
Interesting. I got the Orcs Must Die demo too (as well as the preorder). I wonder if the problems are related? Come to think of it, the timing is about right, too. I might try removing the demo to see if that helps.

Anyhow, as I mentioned before, it worked just fine until recently. And I've carefully confirmed that yes, it is *still* set up properly. All settings are in the right place. Besides, we know that Steam was having issues with offline mode, based on the information in the changelog for the Sept. 27, 2011 Steam client update, which says: "Fixed switching into offline mode" (http://store.steampowered.com/news/6372/). It wouldn't be the first time something went wrong in spite of a fix. But my settings are good and I made double sure of that.

Maybe people it works for can try installing the Orcs Must Die demo and see if that causes it to start failing for you? It's a fun game, anyhow.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Tags
offline mode