Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 10-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
viktornamuh

Lightbulb Steam Chat Needs Emoticons

Emoticons like: Thumbs up, or Smiley face.... or Trollface, etc.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Zerias

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktornamuh View Post
Emoticons like: Thumbs up, or Smiley face.... or Trollface, etc.
My gut reaction to this suggestion is: No, Steam Chat does not need emoticons.

For many gamers the exclusion has been one of the selling points for using Steam as an external chat client instead of similar services such as AIM, Jabber, ICQ, or "insert your favorite chat network here".
Zerias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
viktornamuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerias View Post
My gut reaction to this suggestion is: No, Steam Chat does not need emoticons.

For many gamers the exclusion has been one of the selling points for using Steam as an external chat client instead of similar services such as AIM, Jabber, ICQ, or "insert your favorite chat network here".
How about an option to have emoticons?
viktornamuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Mangr0v3

That option is called Windows Live Messenger. Or Google Talk. etc. etc.
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Zerias

Quote:
How about an option to have emoticons?
Quote:
That option is called Windows Live Messenger. Or Google Talk. etc. etc.
Mangr0v3 kind of made the point I was going to make. If you just want to chat with somebody and have options like Emoticons available, there are loads of other chat clients available. However, I understand the problem that not all games alt-tab nicely, and that there are many situations in which it is simply not possible to alt-tab out of a game in order to use another chat client.

In many cases where alt-tabbing is not possible, shift-tabbing into the Steam Overlay is possible. Various chat solutions, such as Google Talk and AIM work perfectly fine through QT/KHTML/Webkit browser interfaces.

That being said, I do understand players having issues with such a work-around. When the Steam UI is closed Steam automatically throttles the amount of bandwidth the browser uses... something that can be tested by launching a youtube video inside the steam browser. Even on high-speed cable connections the video will skip as the network usage if cut way back. Granted, I've never tested to see how the throttling affects web chat clients.

So if you want a work around to keep using emoticons, there are solutions available.

Now, as to the specific point of Valve developing the option to display emoticons, I find myself against this. Again, the lack of emoticons in the chat client is a major freaking selling point for using Steam chat over other clients. I don't think Valve should shoot themselves in the foot on this matter.

I'm aware that in the past another work-around has been suggested. Given that the Steam UI leverages QT/KHTML/Webkit it should be possible to integrate another chat-client engine into the Steam UI and have it leverage the Steam Components for display. With such an integration users would be able to choose which chat client engine Steam used in the Overlay and through the pop-ups.

I'm also against this idea of allowing other chat clients to integrate themselves into the Steam UI through a public or published API. Not so much for security reasons, but the integrated Steam Chat Client is, once again, a major selling point for Steam.

Publishing an API or method of allowing users to select other chat clients than Steam would kind of defeat the purpose of integrating the Steam Chat into the Steam Overlay.
Zerias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
x0raclex

Banned
Quote:
.... or Trollface

Hahaha we can all be witty on the interwebz then right /redditbros/ ecks dee meems are cool!
x0raclex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Richm246

How does asking for emoticons make something windows love messenger? Emotions are on the forum so why can't this same emotions be on the chat?

Basic emotions have been part of chatting history for a very long time.

/signed
Richm246 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas