Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Xotic

Old 09-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
GenL

My complains

- Game appears to have a very consolish controls and camera. Just by looking at some trailers i can say that it's being played with xbox360 controller. As i don't have it, it's quite unpleasant to use mouse right now. The camera/FOV combination makes it even more painful, it doesn't feel like fps game to me, although i'd like it to be one. Even 95% sensitivity is too slow for my mouse, and switching to 100% makes it kinda oversensitive, yet far more playable.

- The screen aspect is locked at 16/9 right? On my current 1280x1024 display and without "Windowed" option i can say... well everything just doesn't look right. Might aswell wait until i finally get myself a widescreen monitor, just to play this little gem.

- Game appears to lag pretty much on winxp. I have HD4870 and don't have this problem on win7. It scores 54-58 fps all the time instead of steady 60, even if i downclock my GPU. Will check later if latest drivers solve this, or just play it under win7.

I don't expect those issues to be resolved... Because they seem to be engine-related, and it's of course very difficult to fix such things after release, especially when your game is also being done for xbox 360. But i thought developers might want to hear another piece of feedback from one of PC customers.

Thanks for making this game!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
WXPDarren

WXP Games
Thanks for the feedback

We're looking into addressing some of the issues you mentioned soon with a patch. We'll definitely be doing something about the mouse sensitivity, and we'll look into providing some more graphics options as well. Btw, the game is not locked to 16:9, it should adjust to whatever aspect ratio your screen is set to.

Thanks a lot for letting us know your thoughts, and I hope you enjoy the game.

EDIT 09/20/2011: A patch has been released which addresses the mouse sensitivity issue. You can now control the sensitivity over a larger range and with higher granularity to dial it in "just right" for your mouse.

Last edited by Pyronious: 12-31-2011 at 03:11 AM.
WXPDarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
johnpeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenL View Post
- Game appears to have a very consolish controls and camera. Just by looking at some trailers i can say that it's being played with xbox360 controller. As i don't have it, it's quite unpleasant to use mouse right now. The camera/FOV combination makes it even more painful, it doesn't feel like fps game to me, although i'd like it to be one. Even 95% sensitivity is too slow for my mouse, and switching to 100% makes it kinda oversensitive, yet far more playable.

- The screen aspect is locked at 16/9 right? On my current 1280x1024 display and without "Windowed" option i can say... well everything just doesn't look right. Might aswell wait until i finally get myself a widescreen monitor, just to play this little gem.

- Game appears to lag pretty much on winxp. I have HD4870 and don't have this problem on win7. It scores 54-58 fps all the time instead of steady 60, even if i downclock my GPU. Will check later if latest drivers solve this, or just play it under win7.

I don't expect those issues to be resolved... Because they seem to be engine-related, and it's of course very difficult to fix such things after release, especially when your game is also being done for xbox 360. But i thought developers might want to hear another piece of feedback from one of PC customers.

Thanks for making this game!
I've got to ask what the hell the difference between 54-58 and 60 fps is...

I've also got to ask now you know/why you care - are you one of those nutters who plays everything with the FRAPS counter enabled?
johnpeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
GenL

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpeat View Post
I've got to ask what the hell the difference between 54-58 and 60 fps is...

I've also got to ask now you know/why you care - are you one of those nutters who plays everything with the FRAPS counter enabled?
Nope, i just noticed that game was lagging very bad and decided to look at fps counter. Surprisingly enough what i got with 54-58 was worse than with 30 in other games, since none of motions was fluid nor stable, lags were random it seems.
Opposite to that, under win7 it was rock solid without any hiccups in motions. So i looked at fps and saw stable 60.

Like i said, it's not fps problem, since i got exactly same performance and random lags with downclocked GPU.
GenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
Bangulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXPDarren View Post
We're looking into addressing some of the issues you mentioned soon with a patch. We'll definitely be doing something about the mouse sensitivity, and we'll look into providing some more graphics options as well. Btw, the game is not locked to 16:9, it should adjust to whatever aspect ratio your screen is set to.

Thanks a lot for letting us know your thoughts, and I hope you enjoy the game.
From my experience playing the demo. the mouse by default was way to low i put it about 75 for it to feel kind of decent. also i am getting a real slow frame rate but after dropping the resolution it was not to bad.
Bangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
ozgeek

My complaints is it's one shot per click. You want me to click 1000 times in one level? I will not let you wear my mouse down. Add this to the "slow mouse movement". I have to move my mouse all over my pad just to spin around (and yes I did change the settings, and yes I did use the on-the-fly DPI buttons), yet, the game ingore these settings.

Is this a console port designed to be played with a controller? (yes I have a wireless 360 controller).

EDIT: Yep it's a console port. Best played with a 360 controller. I got that achievement using the controller.

Last edited by ozgeek: 12-30-2011 at 06:49 AM.
ozgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
xX_Renegade_Xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgeek View Post
EDIT: Yep it's a console port. Best played with a 360 controller. I got that achievement using the controller.
I use a mouse and keyboard only, plays fine for me.
xX_Renegade_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
graspee

My only complaints (and they are minor, because this game has a great, polished feel to it in general) are:

1) A bit overboard with the achievements at the start. You get 6 doing the tutorial! One of them is basically for pressing jump underneath a floting object to collect it! I had flashbacks to the video I watched yesterday which was like "What would it be like if Quake 1 were released today?" which had a joke of super easy achievements.

2) Default mouse sensitivity is way too low. I had to put it on 90 for it to feel ok.
graspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
Phreeflo

You guys must use some low DPI mice.

I'm using 35% sens and It's perfect. Had to turn it down a bit as it was too fast with 3200 DPI.

So far my only complaint about the presentation is that I wouldn't mind being able to have some kind of UI scale option. Just to be able to make the HUD a bit smaller.

OH, lol I see this is a slightly old post. I bet they might have patched the mouse since then...I just picked up this gem in the latest steam sale.
Phreeflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:13 AM   #10
Pyronious

WXP Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreeflo View Post
You guys must use some low DPI mice.

I'm using 35% sens and It's perfect. Had to turn it down a bit as it was too fast with 3200 DPI.

So far my only complaint about the presentation is that I wouldn't mind being able to have some kind of UI scale option. Just to be able to make the HUD a bit smaller.

OH, lol I see this is a slightly old post. I bet they might have patched the mouse since then...I just picked up this gem in the latest steam sale.
Yup, we patched the game on September 20, 2011 to allow finer control of the mouse sensitivity over a larger range. You should now be able to dial it in just right for your mouse, no matter what DPI it runs at.

I think the game plays MUCH better with keyboard and mouse, but that's just my preference. Some people like the controller.
Pyronious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
GenL

I played the updated game (still without a widescreen display), and i think i understood the camera problem a little bit.
It's the camera zoom, not exactly FOV. It zoomed in, like playing with sniper-rifle at 2x zoom at all times. Feels like i'm crouching when i move the camera down. Like camera rotates around some bubble, which is 5x more than player's head in size.
The fact that camera movement is limited by ~45 degrees from the ground (impossible to look straight down) may be the part of the problem too.

In other news:
- game never scaled well at non-16:9 resolutions for me, despited of what the WXPDarren said. See my screens at 1280x1024 and 1280x720. Notice the accurate squares.
- can't change resolution to 1280x720 when my desktop is set to 1280x1024. Can change to any other 4:3 resolution which is lower than 1280 in width. Although it scales from 16:9 the same stretchy way.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
Pyronious

WXP Games
Quote:
I played the updated game (still without a widescreen display), and i think i understood the camera problem a little bit.
It's the camera zoom, not exactly FOV. It zoomed in, like playing with sniper-rifle at 2x zoom at all times. Feels like i'm crouching when i move the camera down. Like camera rotates around some bubble, which is 5x more than player's head in size.
The fact that camera movement is limited by ~45 degrees from the ground (impossible to look straight down) may be the part of the problem too.
That's indeed what is happening. The camera is attached to the player character's head. When you look up or down, the game rotates the waist joint. As a result, when you look down your head is actually closer to the ground. There are other (maybe better) ways to accomplish this, but this is just how it works in our engine right now. It feels a little different from other FPS games.

Quote:
- game never scaled well at non-16:9 resolutions for me, despited of what the WXPDarren said. See my screens at 1280x1024 and 1280x720. Notice the accurate squares.
The game does attempt to do some correction for non-16:9 aspect ratios, with varying degrees of success. The UI mostly compensates for aspect ratio changes (with some exceptions), but the main 3D window does not currently compensate for non-16:9 aspect ratios. This is engine related and we don't have a solution other than to run in windowed mode at a 16:9 resolution. I recommend 1280x720 as that is the "native" resolution the game was designed for.

Quote:
- can't change resolution to 1280x720 when my desktop is set to 1280x1024. Can change to any other 4:3 resolution which is lower than 1280 in width. Although it scales from 16:9 the same stretchy way.
I believe the resolutions you can select from in game are determined by the resolutions reported by your video card as being available. It seems strange to me that 1280x720 wouldn't be reported as an available resolution on your system. Is it listed in the available resolutions from the Windows Screen Resolution selector?
Old 01-07-2012, 03:06 AM   #13
GenL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyronious View Post
I believe the resolutions you can select from in game are determined by the resolutions reported by your video card as being available. It seems strange to me that 1280x720 wouldn't be reported as an available resolution on your system. Is it listed in the available resolutions from the Windows Screen Resolution selector?
It is available both in game and in my OS/driver/settings/whatever. But the game does not use it when desktop is set to 1280x1024, it reverts to 1280x1024 when i select 1280x720 in options and restart the game. I set the desktop to 1280x720 and then game works under 1280x720.

Waiting for a working windowed mode seems to be the best option for me.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Pyronious

WXP Games
Quote:
It is available both in game and in my OS/driver/settings/whatever. But the game does not use it when desktop is set to 1280x1024, it reverts to 1280x1024 when i select 1280x720 in options and restart the game. I set the desktop to 1280x720 and then game works under 1280x720.

Waiting for a working windowed mode seems to be the best option for me.
I have just been informed that the 2.4 update has been deployed on Steam, so you should have access to windowed mode now. Not an ideal solution, I know. But thank you for your patience -- our graphics guy on this game was a contractor so bugs like this are tough to fix with our little 3-man team.

I'll see what I can do to improve this in the future but I hope this workaround helps for now.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #15
GenL

Yes there is a windowed mode now. And good thing it works with 1280x720 here. Although there are few weird things i've noticed about it:
- i'm able to move the mouse onto the window title bar, meaning i can occasionally move the window randomly while my mouse is moved somewhere upside and LMB is clicked.
- the window loses focus every time the mouse clicks, for a moment. And an actual client area overwrites few downside pixels of the window. Seems like it's not a trivial window implementation, and maybe it wasn't tested on windows xp. Hovewer i didn't notice any side effects due to these, yet.
- the initial window position (100x100?) makes it overlap the right display border due to desktop width = window width in my case, and i have to move the window manually so i can see it fully. Very few games do it right, so it's not actually a complain, but an observation.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Xotic