Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 10-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
CalebSan

Content conversion?

I just wanted to start the game and it told me it needs to convert the game files... and now it has to download 8GB of data? What the hell is happening?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Angry Badger

I'm having this problem too, and this is making me angry because I just finished downloading god knows how much because the "verify integrity of game cache button" said i was missed 92 files
Angry Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Neff

Same here, also another 8GB download, this despite the game working fine until today.
Neff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
DarkChaplain

Banned
Be glad, with that conversion you won't have to redownload everything on patches and verifying anymore, it seems
DarkChaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
finakechi

I am getting this too. I am hoping maybe this fixes the Steam overlay issues that have been happening (AKA the overlay doesnt work).
finakechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:55 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
Taylor Sherman

Valve
Hi All,

Sorry for the confusion. There are two things happening simultaneously: the game is getting converted to our new download system, and it is also getting patched.

The new download system will help ensure that patches for games like The Witcher 2 are as small as possible in the future.

Unfortunately, the conversion process currently has the same issue as the old download system (large files that change are re-downloaded completely), so this update is not getting applied as efficiently for people who already had the game installed. We had hoped to iron out this issue before switching the game to the new system, however things didn't work out that way. The self-patching system previously used by the game was not available for this update, so we decided that if users must suffer through another large update, we would also get it converted over to the new download system so that that this would be the last time.

Taylor
Taylor Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
CalebSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Sherman View Post
Hi All,

Sorry for the confusion. There are two things happening simultaneously: the game is getting converted to our new download system, and it is also getting patched.

The new download system will help ensure that patches for games like The Witcher 2 are as small as possible in the future.

Unfortunately, the conversion process currently has the same issue as the old download system (large files that change are re-downloaded completely), so this update is not getting applied as efficiently for people who already had the game installed. We had hoped to iron out this issue before switching the game to the new system, however things didn't work out that way. The self-patching system previously used by the game was not available for this update, so we decided that if users must suffer through another large update, we would also get it converted over to the new download system so that that this would be the last time.

Taylor
Thank you for the information. I hope that after this patch everything will work better.
CalebSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
Balderac

I had so many problems with the 2.0 patcher. It came up with a lame error message, which I after 2 days of troubleshooting found out was due to not having like 30GB free H.D.D. space for the patcher to use as it's personal playground..

It could at least have TOLD ME instead of stating that the game version was incompatible!!

Now on my checklist: NEVER buy a Steam game again before using Google to figure out if the Steam version is horrendously implemented. A big step backwards from the Steam I used to know where everything just works - to justify the rather steep game prizes.

Last edited by Balderac: 10-11-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Zarny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balderac View Post
I had so many problems with the 2.0 patcher. It came up with a lame error message, which I after 2 days of troubleshooting found out was due to not having like 30GB free H.D.D. space for the patcher to use as it's personal playground..

It could at least have TOLD ME instead of stating that the game version was incompatible!!

Now on my checklist: NEVER buy a Steam game again before using Google to figure out if the Steam version is horrendously implemented. A big step backwards from the Steam I used to know where everything just works - to justify the rather steep game prizes.
i hope my 16G of HDD is enough for its playground...
Zarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
Balderac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarny View Post
i hope my 16G of HDD is enough for its playground...
I guess if Steam will patch the game it's own way from now on, then anything works..
Old 10-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
Jaheebus

Brilliant, just when my internet decides to be a . I'm downloading this 8gb at 15kb/s.
Jaheebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #12
vekkth

guys, srsly. i mean, really. you have a lot of money. cant you ing resolve issues like this without spilling them on your faithful clients? i just launched steam to play W2 for a couple of hours before sleep and now what - a ing 8gb update? even on my 4Mb connection it takes hours since your servers cant push out more then 1Mbs.
i am a dissapoint, steam. really, for the first time with you, i really am.
vekkth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
Gaiden

Same here..my witcher 2 night is out...
Gaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
Balderac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vekkth View Post
guys, srsly. i mean, really. you have a lot of money. cant you ing resolve issues like this without spilling them on your faithful clients? i just launched steam to play W2 for a couple of hours before sleep and now what - a ing 8gb update? even on my 4Mb connection it takes hours since your servers cant push out more then 1Mbs.
i am a dissapoint, steam. really, for the first time with you, i really am.
Hm ? I'm downloading at 3.1 MB/sec (my max) as we speak..
Old 10-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
Snauke

It's a little pain in the for better tomorrow guys, cheer up
Snauke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The