Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Faction series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
GenRabbit
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Reputation: 19
Posts: 129
Red Faction Armageddon, GFWL? SECUREROM?

Does Red Faction Armaggedon come with GFWL, Securerom or some other nastinesss? It looks like a steam based game only, but I'd rather be sure.
GenRabbit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
GenRabbit
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Reputation: 19
Posts: 129
Thanks. Now its ordered.
GenRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Peckpogydah
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 110
Posts: 771
Another one of these, kinda makes me wonder if it is cool to hate DRM's.
I mean sure GFWL is annoying but are you really telling me you didn't play FO3 because of it.

I admit, I blindly hate Origin but i'm gonna suck it up and deal with it for BF3 and ME3. I just don't understand why so many deny themselves enjoyment over minor inconveniences. It's kinda like not having sex because you gotta use a condom.
Peckpogydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Profane69
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 18
Posts: 148
It's our money and we choose how to spend it, if some company wishes to punish us for not pirating their stuff then we might as well not buy the they are dumping on us.

How about having a little self respect.

It's the silly little twerps that keep buying like that, that let them keep on doing it, its like you enjoy not being able to legitimately play your own games when you want to.

Basically what i am trying to say is that as long as we buy drm infested crap without protesting, the drm and other abuse will just get worse. So protest now and save your self from a lot of pain down the road.
Profane69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Butr0sButr0s
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 27
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peckpogydah View Post
Another one of these, kinda makes me wonder if it is cool to hate DRM's.
I mean sure GFWL is annoying but are you really telling me you didn't play FO3 because of it.
I haven't played fallout 3 because of games for windows live. Am I missing out? You bet. But supporting a system that I don't like and think is restrictive isn't something I'm willing to bend on personally.
Butr0sButr0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
aplsin
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 11
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peckpogydah View Post
Another one of these, kinda makes me wonder if it is cool to hate DRM's
It IS pretty cool to hate DRM. And sane.
aplsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Peckpogydah
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 110
Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profane69 View Post
if some company wishes to punish us for not pirating their stuff
If your idea of punnishment is having to have GFWL run in the background or having to activate a program online once and then never hearing from it again, I really envy you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profane69 View Post
It's the silly little twerps that keep buying like that, that let them keep on doing it, its like you enjoy not being able to legitimately play your own games when you want to.
So, you say it's your right to decide how to spend your money, yet if sombody doesn't mind a DRM they are a twerp?

Also, what do you mean not being able to play the game you bought? EVERY game I have bought that uses any type of DRM I've been able to play when and where I want, i'm not sure what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profane69 View Post
Basically what i am trying to say is that as long as we buy drm infested crap without protesting, the drm and other abuse will just get worse. So protest now and save your self from a lot of pain down the road.
The DRM is here to stay, hate to break it to you, unless they somehow stop the pirates companies are going to try to protect their money anyway they can, if it is effective or not.

Think about it, if you sold a product and <50% of your sells are lost to theft, would you not try to do somthing?

1st you the game had to verify your disc was in the CD-Rom drive, then they added CD-keys, next things like secuROM and GFWL it's just going to get worse and worse until either A) they find a way to stop the pirating or B) they stop making games for PC all togeather.
Peckpogydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
ONe mOMENT
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 95
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profane69 View Post
It's our money and we choose how to spend it, if some company wishes to punish us for not pirating their stuff then we might as well not buy the they are dumping on us.

How about having a little self respect.

It's the silly little twerps that keep buying like that, that let them keep on doing it, its like you enjoy not being able to legitimately play your own games when you want to.

Basically what i am trying to say is that as long as we buy drm infested crap without protesting, the drm and other abuse will just get worse. So protest now and save your self from a lot of pain down the road.
You do know... that steam is a DRM right...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profane69 View Post
silly little twerp
Your words not mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profane69 View Post
How about having a little self respect.
That also, Sure you don't like DRM. You have taken a stand against it, for the good of the people! O but steam is ok... Self respect...

I use:
GFWL- not had a problem other then with support.. They keep thinking I'm Czech for some reason.
Steam- Again no problems other then some times offline mode doesn't work.
Origin- No Problems other then chat some times getting disabled
Securom- No problems not reach an activation limit, though i have forgotten to un register a couple of times / computer has died, annoying but contacting them has cleared it up.

1. If your making a stand against something, be consistent.
2. DRM isn't going anywhere, anytime soon, whether its steam, origin, GFLW. But i do hope with the now common account based DRM systems the activation limits will soon disappear.

Last edited by ONe mOMENT: 10-12-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Added 2 points
ONe mOMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
coopersnow
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 4
Posts: 206
So no GFWL at all? I no longer play the first and refuse to buy any GFWL game again!
coopersnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
GrimCW
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Reputation: 169
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONe mOMENT View Post
You do know... that steam is a DRM right... Your words not mine. That also, Sure you don't like DRM. You have taken a stand against it, for the good of the people! O but steam is ok... Self respect...
most know STEAM is a DRM but it isn't JUST a DRM like most are.
Origin is trying to hard, and GFWL is just to bug infested ATM (but then again so wasn't steam originally!)
STEAM gives you things in returns, from free games, to free content, all the way down to communities, forums, friends lists, chat options and more.
it even auto updates games for you.
now looking at other DRM schemes that try to be like steam.. Download, install, and manually patch.
Origin is still "beta" and GFWL isn't much better.
but neither do the sorting (Origin does, but atm has such seriously limited options its worthless. i really don't need my minor expansions/dlc and patches bloating the UI), installing, and patching.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ONe mOMENT View Post
I use:
GFWL- not had a problem other then with support.. They keep thinking I'm Czech for some reason.
Steam- Again no problems other then some times offline mode doesn't work.
Origin- No Problems other then chat some times getting disabled
Securom- No problems not reach an activation limit, though i have forgotten to un register a couple of times / computer has died, annoying but contacting them has cleared it up.
I've had issues with
GFWL - losing saves, crashing, losing profiles, locking up my system, locking itself up, corrupting profiles, corrupting saves, preventing mods in an SP only game, etc.

STEAM - only a few instances of offline mode not working right, and problems with modding some games (such as Deus Ex)
other than that nothing that wasn't the programs problem (such as compatibility issues with older titles)

Origin/Securom (these go hand in hand for me, but was when Origin was called EA Downloader. it still is, they're just trying to avoid the name after the issues so many had with the original) - locked out of a game i payed for within 2 weeks (only used 2 out of 3 installs), told outright by the DRM to buy a new copy.
it took 2 months to get them to actually look into the issue before they realized the server fubar'ed my activation code and locked me out permanently.
EA then had me make a SECOND account for this one game ALONE. they would not move my other titles to the new account at all, nor remove/replace the game on the original account.

Direct2Drive - activation issues mostly and sadly, very commonly. they also only allow one active copy at a time in most cases. so no dual installs on my desktop and laptop.

these are my personal experiences, some have had better, some worse.
i don't mind GFWL (when it works) but it is annoying and needs to be fixed.
Origin is a joke, and securom should be removed from games after a period of time as many publishers promise, and so few carry out.

the only DRM types i outright refuse to deal with are always on *cough*origin*cough* and TAGES.
always on is obvious, i want to play my games when I want to play them. this could be during an outage, or traveling.
and TAGES has in the past outright accused me of piracy, banned my IP from their activation servers (locking out ALL games that use their DRM) and were just down right insulting during the entire conversation as i provided proof i payed for my game. (riddick)

securom is supposedly there only to prevent "zero day" piracy (release day or prior)
at least thats what we're commonly told, but the question rises, why not remove it when sales drop? it would garner more sales in many cases!

Last edited by GrimCW: 10-12-2011 at 03:20 PM.
GrimCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
ONe mOMENT
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 95
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimCW View Post
most know STEAM is a DRM but it isn't JUST a DRM like most are.
Your not the kind of person I was targeting in my last post. The argument of DRM being used as a way to attack other DD such as GFWL and Origin that people use is invalid when people have accepted how steam works. You respectfuly didn't use DRM as a reason not to like GFWL / origin, and thus your opinion is justified and I would gladly buy you a coffee/beer/tea/wine and continue this because your making a reasonable argument about the effects of these platforms to PC gamers.

I have a problem with the people screaming "DRM IS EVIL WE SHOULD NOT SUPPORT IT" while pointing at GFWL / origin, yet that are supporting how steam works.

(Next bit isn't directed at you Grim )

If you don't like these new PC platforms/DD's, fine, take a stand against them. But look at the platform you are supporting, look at what it does, and don't contradict yourself.
DRM isn't valid as an argument, being forced to activate ONLY through its desired platform isn't valid.
Bugs, price, service,useability, asthetics, speeds, downtime and availability are the things that should be taken into consideration (but not limited to) when making a sound argument.
ONe mOMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
Doob
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 124
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrix89 View Post
I have no issue with GFWL, I prefer steamworks but GFWL is fine too.
QFT

Not sure people whine about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersnow View Post
So no GFWL at all? I no longer play the first and refuse to buy any GFWL game again!
This is what I don't get. Were you unable to follow the simple instructions? Are you just being fashionably cool? I suspect the latter.

Your loss, nobody suffers but you for passing on games you'd enjoy for completely trivial reasons.
Doob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
cybertario
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 60
Posts: 277
Funny, a valid question, that many people like me find useful (thats why I enter this thread) is turn into a flame war about DRM lover(s) whining about DRM hater(s) whiners... EVERY TIME...

Man, is was just a question, followed with a very good answer "Just steamworks", why all the fuss about it???

Come on, i also choose to avoid third party DRM, before I buy a game I check The Big List of 3rd Party DRM on Steam, and also check the forums for info, but I dont diminish anyone who choose to buy a game with DRM or whatever, is a choice, but to take such choice, you must have the info...

If you dont like this topics, just pass...

Peace...

cybertario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #14
Peckpogydah
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 110
Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertario View Post
Funny, a valid question, that many people like me find useful (thats why I enter this thread) is turn into a flame war about DRM lover(s) whining about DRM hater(s) whiners... EVERY TIME...
There are DRM lovers? Just because sombody ignores them and understands why companies uses them doesn't mean they love it, it just means they have long acepted that the people who follow the rules will get screwed by the few who break them, it's life.

Nice guys finish last isn't just a song.
Peckpogydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #15
cybertario
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 60
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peckpogydah View Post
There are DRM lovers? Just because sombody ignores them and understands why companies uses them doesn't mean they love it, it just means they have long acepted that the people who follow the rules will get screwed by the few who break them, it's life.

Nice guys finish last isn't just a song.
Ok, you have half a point here , just because my post add some gasoline in the fire right there... my fault, but you miss my point, why are we really arguing this at all, I just want to known if a game had DRM or not, and not having to explain why every time I ask (well, this time wasn't me asking, but is the same...)

cybertario is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Faction series


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.