Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Faction series

Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Juggler

75% off for the entire Red Faction series...But wait!!

I'm quite interested in buying this for 75% off. It seems like a lot of gaming for around 25 bucks... BUT... Will it run on Windows 7?

Thank you for any information.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
biosc1

Yes. I actually just finished RF: Guerilla on W7-64bit and it worked just perfectly.
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Juggler

Responding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrix89 View Post
Guerrilla and Armageddon of course work fine on Windows 7, the first and second games also work but can require some tweaking.

Red Faction 1 for example needs the pure faction patch for multiplayer (because that's what most of the servers run) but I didn't need it to get the singleplayer to work, although some people apparently have needed it for singleplayer.

As for Red Faction II I haven't played it on PC but I've seen gameplay videos of it running on Windows 7 so it should work.
I think I'm going to pass on Red Faction 1 and 2, I just watched some gameplay videos of Red Faction 1 and I wont make an impulse purchase of those two games... Maybe one day they will redo the two games with an updated graphics engine.

Guerilla sounds very appealing with its open ended gameplay and 5 bucks seems like a steal for it, so I'm certain that I'll be picking it up.

I've seen some gameplay reviews for Armageddon and its fairly cheap as well, so I'm strongly considering getting it and the dlc... The Prima strategy guide is probably a complete waste of cash, so unless anyone says its a good idea I will avoid it.

Is Armageddon one of those linear shooters where after you play through it once, you're done?

Also I've gotten burned in the past with what I call CONSOLE PORT SHOVELWARE, so how buggy is Armageddon and Guerilla?

Thanks again for any info.
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
verybigboy18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggler View Post
I think I'm going to pass on Red Faction 1 and 2, I just watched some gameplay videos of Red Faction 1 and I wont make an impulse purchase of those two games... Maybe one day they will redo the two games with an updated graphics engine.

Guerilla sounds very appealing with its open ended gameplay and 5 bucks seems like a steal for it, so I'm certain that I'll be picking it up.
I think Red Faction 1 is worth playing even with the old graphics, they are not that bad really. RF2 however is not really worth a crap. RF:G is a pretty fun game and for sure worth $5.
verybigboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Finaldeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybigboy18 View Post
I think Red Faction 1 is worth playing even with the old graphics, they are not that bad really. RF2 however is not really worth a crap. RF:G is a pretty fun game and for sure worth $5.
I agree, red faction 1 was amazing when it came out on ps2. I never really played the single player for it but spent all my time in multiplayer (half the time alone)because the destruction in that game was amazing and imo way ahead of its time.

The game was also fun against bots, get a rocket launcher and drill a huge hole in a wall somewhere then grab the rail gun and chill in the hole.

But ive been wanting to get Armageddon since before it came out but never got around to it, going to get it for sure during this sale and may pick guerrilla up as well just to have it on pc. (got it on xbox on day 1 but ended up getting rid of it before finishing it which i regret big time)
Finaldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Z()mb3h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrix89 View Post
for example Guerrilla has an open world singleplayer and competitive multiplayer (which people do still play)
Yeah right.

NO ONE.

I repeat,

NO ONE plays Guerrilla online. It's completely DEAD.
Z()mb3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:54 AM   #7
SpudAlmighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggler View Post

I've seen some gameplay reviews for Armageddon and its fairly cheap as well, so I'm strongly considering getting it and the dlc... The Prima strategy guide is probably a complete waste of cash, so unless anyone says its a good idea I will avoid it.

Is Armageddon one of those linear shooters where after you play through it once, you're done?

Also I've gotten burned in the past with what I call CONSOLE PORT SHOVELWARE, so how buggy is Armageddon and Guerilla?

Thanks again for any info.
Shame on you. Red Faction is an absolute classic!!! As good as the last two were they don't compare to the original. Buy that first when it's going sooooo cheap.
SpudAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:33 AM   #8
Fraxxxi

well, RF:A isn't working for me... the game starts fine, intro plays fine, first part of the level works perfectly, but immediately after that first cut scene, where the drop ship sets down some reinforcements and gets shot down, the game crashes my graphics card drivers, then crashes itself.
Fraxxxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #9
TimM

I must say don't stay away from Red Faction 1, it is one of the best games you will ever play. It is a looong game and a great story, the only game you should skip is Red Faction 2, but Red Faction 1 is a classic, like Half-Life.

One of those games a person shouldn not miss.

I play it on:

ATI HD Radeon 5870 1 gb
Intel Core I7 960 at 4x3,20 Ghz
12 gb ram
Windows 7 64 bit

As you can see, I can play the old Red Faction on Windows 7, 64 bit
Since you were wondering

I would actually say this: If you are unwilling to buy a classic with so many hours of destruction and fun in it, you can't really consider yourself a gamer.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #10
klkitchens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z()mb3h View Post
Yeah right.

NO ONE.

I repeat,

NO ONE plays Guerrilla online. It's completely DEAD.
Old game rule...

Buy for singleplayer.
Mulitplayer is gravy.
klkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Juggler

Another response...

I bought Guerilla, played it about 2 hours... had a blast. So I caved and bought Red Faction 1 & 2, Armageddon and the DLC. Hoping I don't have issues with Red Faction 1 & 2 but I've seen that there are tweaks out there.

I appreciate the Steam Community for helping me decide.
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Faction series